Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather Discussion 14/11/15 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

20 year anniversary next month of the epic Feb 1996 snowfall, the local paper is going to do a special look back at one the most disruptive snow events ever in the area and are asking for stories & pictures etc. 

This was near St Bee's where deep snow lay down to sea level and lay on the ground for nearly a week, never seen anything like it since, was epic! 

96.thumb.jpg.03df3b2210f59f8bbf315bd8ec5

• Like 3

Posted

snow rain and hail here. I've noticed these events becoming more and more marginal through the years. I think Christmas 2004 would be rain/sleet here if it happened today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp 5.4c, DP 3.0c :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

20 year anniversary next month of the epic Feb 1996 snowfall, the local paper is going to do a special look back at one the most disruptive snow events ever in the area and are asking for stories & pictures etc. 

This was near St Bee's where deep snow lay down to sea level and lay on the ground for nearly a week, never seen anything like it since, was epic! 

Imagine it happened again....

Rrea00119960205.thumb.gif.40a665db05feedRrea00119960206.thumb.gif.3281198114253a

For next week

gfsnh-0-72.thumb.png.816cda0c004844fa613gfs-0-72.thumb.png.77ca3a918631ed2343cfb

Could it stall again???

Edited by Minus 10
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Remember it well ,started with rain here to evaporative cooling took hold , 30 hours of none stop snow :D

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

The one good thing about living here is that  with a SE flow we have the longest land fetch,  so I'm very optimistic for Saturday night. 

Agreed the one marginal event Liverpool always seems to do well in is one where the wind is southerly or southeasterly, usually from a front coming in from the west. Hopefully the South and East get a good frost tonight.

Posted
58 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Preston and the Fylde recollections - not exactly events but what I can remember.

December 1978 January 1979  - Remember the railways snowbound on a Sheffield trip.

January  - February 1981 - I was on nights nearly snowed in.

March 1987 - PNE away trip to Exeter - coaches got snowballed through Brig.

February 1996 - Car was stuck outside the house in a drift.

January 2000 - My son was born.

December 2010 - Legendary.

We have this discussion alot on here ... I was born in 1970 (which makes me an old fart compared to many on here i think :)  ) There were winters in the 80s where i can remember having enough snow for a snowman, but 2010 beats everything in my lifetime.  

And were you on the coach or doing the snowballing ? :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Rain, sleet & small hailstones here this afternoon. Sun has gone. It feels mild though. 

Posted

The Christmas Day snowfall was in 2004.

January 5th 2010 was the best snowfall since Feb 96 I've ever seen. Later that year was the big freeze, but January gave a better snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Cloudy and wet. Great cold spell this isn't!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

my best snowfall was late December 81 (see my pic) haven`t seen that much snow since!

Posted
2 hours ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Probably rain tbh

Yep, a bit of uninspiring rain and sleet...sums up this cold spell...so far.

Posted
  • Location: Home: Oakworth, West Yorkshire, UK (250m ASL) / Work: Bradford, West Yorkshire (110m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Extreme Weather
  • Location: Home: Oakworth, West Yorkshire, UK (250m ASL) / Work: Bradford, West Yorkshire (110m ASL)

Latest METO update for North West. Gone is the mention of the snow overnight Saturday into Sunday, I get the feeling it is all further west or isn't developing as much as expected as now only a mention of clouding over, especially in Cumbria. That said the forecast from Sunday to Tuesday isn't all that bad and some should see snow, but others will see rain, all marginal as this cold spell has been so far for those of us south of Scotland.

Regional forecast for North West England

Early wintry showers soon clearing leaving a cold, dry night.

This Evening and Tonight:

Any early wintry showers across Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire will soon clear away southwards leaving a mainly dry but cold night with some lengthy clear spells. A widespread frost will form, along with icy patches. Minimum Temperature -6°C.

Saturday:

It will be a cold, dry, frosty and sunny start, although as the day goes on the skies will gradually cloud over, especially across Cumbria. Light and variable breezes. Maximum Temperature 3°C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

It looks likely to be changeable with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow at times. The wind should be mainly light to moderate in strength and overnight frosts are likely.

Updated at: 1436 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Edited by Snow-Capped

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Sleet and graupel even at 250m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
21 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

We have this discussion alot on here ... I was born in 1970 (which makes me an old fart compared to many on here i think :)  ) There were winters in the 80s where i can remember having enough snow for a snowman, but 2010 beats everything in my lifetime.  

And were you on the coach or doing the snowballing ? :)

Coach - there and back in a day - we won 1-0 (I think)  - ironically a brick was put through the leading coach window.

Snowballs on the way down Bricks on the way back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Extreme Weather
1 minute ago, James M said:

Sleet and graupel even at 250m

Most likely due to the introduction of slightly less cold-uppers aloft at around -4C and higher DP which is between 1-2C in this area, all makes it very marginal without enough height, I would say anywhere above 300-350m would be guaranteed snow, between 200-300 marginal sleet/snow and under 200 rain and possibly sleet. 

Not that any of it matters as the latest radar shows it all passing through here quickly, but colder uppers slowly filtering south again from Scotland. Looking forward to a sharp frost tonight as the wind dies down more than last night.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

3.2C, rain :wallbash:

6c here when it's not raining. This is just average January weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

6c here when it's not raining. This is just average January weather.

The Irish Sea is the problem. It's just too damn warm, it's modifying the temperatures AND upper profiles. It's why we're getting rain & hail. Further inland it'll be snow. 

Isnt even looking like much of a 'cold' spell now. Just dross. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Hail sleet wet snow session lol black sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Really dark out there. The rain has turned to heavy sleet and is increasingly changing to huge flakes!

Arh well back to drizzle it goes :)

Edited by Snowmad79