Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather Discussion 14/11/15 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Agree with that.

IMBY we usually get little if anything in the way of snow from a north westerly unless it has a more westerly element.

most of it skirts me and heads over Manchester towards the Peak District and midlands.

our utopia is a long fetch easterly or Atlantic fronts hitting a cold block and both are as rare as rocking horse poo.

never mind, some members have seen snow so enjoy and I'll keep my fingers crossed for another time.

Very similar to me that Ian- i do well from a decent east wind, no problems crossing the pennines and usually powdery stuff that doesnt melt after 10mins in the sun.

Northerlies pretty useless, north westerlies useless, south easterlies useless (rain shadow peak district), so that leaves east or north east winds for me to benefit, and like you say, they are rare as hens teeth these days.

In short, NW englands a bust really.

Posted

There is still going to be a trough coming down from the north tomorrow but both GFS and ECM have warm sectors associated wit it so it is likely to be rain or sleet.

Yesterday the ECM was showing cold enough upper air temperatures for this trough to be of snow.

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

There is still going to be a trough coming down from the north tomorrow but both GFS and ECM have warm sectors associated wit it so it is likely to be rain or sleet.

Yesterday the ECM was showing cold enough upper air temperatures for this trough to be of snow.

Bottom line Karyo is its just not quite cold enough.

You and me both need a decent easterly to bring the goodies :D

Trouble is,well, you know what the trouble is, they are rare indeed :(

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Bottom line Karyo is its just not quite cold enough.

You and me both need a decent easterly to bring the goodies :D

Trouble is,well, you know what the trouble is, they are rare indeed :(

Or if we had a proper Greenland block but the one we have now is a pathetic excuse so we end up with rain. lol

Posted

Got a cm or two here on the grass at 210m with higher levels accumulating around 5cm especially along the Cat&Fiddle and Snake Pass. It's a start at least, looking forward to the weekend's sharp frosts with the region of -8'c being forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Dry atm no snow, currently 1.7c. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, karyo said:

Or if we had a proper Greenland block but the one we have now is a pathetic excuse so we end up with rain. lol

Im always wary of anything with a westerly component to be honest, too much modification.

Trouble is we do need that WNW or the showers head through the cheshire gap and we end up high and dry from a north westerly.

In summery, east is best for us.

Dream setup is scandy high and an undercutting low with a convective east wind.

I will always remember the 1980's - had some good easterlies -

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Snow? Nah...cold rain. Even more waterlogging now evident. Back to bed.

Posted

morning all,its stared snowing here in bishop auckland this morning,a touch to wet to settle but we will see what happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Covering of slush on the cars this morning, so it's evidentially snowed overnight. 

@karyo do you literally ever shut up moaning? Like, can you at least let the cold get into place, the high establish itself before you star slating it? The main event was never set for yesterday; it was always tonight. So chill your beans, sit back and enjoy the ride man!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Covering of slush on the cars this morning, so it's evidentially snowed overnight. 

@karyo do you literally ever shut up moaning? Like, can you at least let the cold get into place, the high establish itself before you star slating it? The main event was never set for yesterday; it was always tonight. So chill your beans, sit back and enjoy the ride man!

Indeed BT

Hopefully the wind stays NW and does not veer Northerly otherwise the shower activity will be restricted

to the coasts

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

TAF forecasts look good, flow direction looks good, NI and Wales text forecasts look great, but our text forecast for tonight suggests a dry night. What to believe? I think I'll go with the TAFs. Uppers, thicknesses and DPs are conducive, all we need is some precipitation. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Indeed BT

Hopefully the wind stays NW and does not veer Northerly otherwise the shower activity will be restricted

to the coasts

C.S

I'll buy the NMM later & have a gander at the upper wind vectors :) I'll post the chart when I do, just on my way to university. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Right I'm moving, sick of this crap! LOL good old Wirral rain rain rain...

viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.c8602f65a10ad9c51viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.8ecc1ff3a6693ec2viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.4e6b4dded523e70

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of grey on the surfaces here, and not much white... nothing wintry overnight.  It should (in theory) be on the right side of marginal to get snow now, all we need is to be lucky with the showers.

Posted
42 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I'm not sure what you are expecting but there is not a lot to indicate much if anything. Indications suggest  mostly dry.

Not according to the TAF & high resolution models (IE NMM). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Winter hill covered

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

DP falling away. Temp 3.5 DP 0.8

Posted

Even the West Midlands text forecast mentions showers crossing the region overnight. Now tell me how can they get their apart from through the Cheshire gap. The person writing our text forecast must have been a snow hater lol. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 3

Posted

Dull and wet this morning, only difference to the rest of this winter is it is colder than it has been. 

Snow higher up to the east on the way up the M6 this morning. 

At least it looks we are in for 3 or 4 dry and cold days now, hopefully some of the temporary lakes that have formed over the last few weeks will start to drop. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
14 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Even the West Midlands text forecast mentions showers crossing the region overnight. Now tell me how can they get their apart from through the Cheshire gap. The person writing our text forecast must have been a snow hater lol. 

Indeed Chris

Looks ideal tonight for the Cheshire Gap to fire up as posted earlier thought if the winds swings north

then its curtains,need to maintain that NW Wind

C.S

• Like 1

Posted

BTW dry here since the early hours.