Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM temp anomalies for the final few days of December and the first 10 days of January can be summed up quite easily 'mild' and not just the for the UK

CV8zeppWEAA6LX2.thumb.png.2602b400defa5b

Charts provided by WSI Euro weather

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

While too early to write winter off, i'm beginning to fear that the +PDO, Strong El Nino and +QBO combination is delivering a winter more akin to 07 than 10.

Using the 3 measures i'd rank the most likely analogues in this order..

83 (mild, mild, cold)

87 (mild, cold, average)

98 (mild, average, mild)

03 (mild, average, average)

88 (mild, average, average)

92 (average, average, mild)

95 (mild, average, mild)

07 (mild, mild, mild)

(Jan-March)

Certainly our more likely analogues seem to break for a mild (CET+1c>) December before a slight bias towards near average in Jan and Feb. This would be consistent with my findings that basin wide and west based events bias the AO to negative during Jan and Feb. The less likely analogues seem to want a mild Feb though.

Posted
41 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

While too early to write winter off, i'm beginning to fear that the +PDO, Strong El Nino and +QBO combination is delivering a winter more akin to 07 than 10.

Using the 3 measures i'd rank the most likely analogues in this order..

83 (mild, mild, cold)

87 (mild, cold, average)

98 (mild, average, mild)

03 (mild, average, average)

88 (mild, average, average)

92 (average, average, mild)

95 (mild, average, mild)

07 (mild, mild, mild)

(Jan-March)

Certainly our more likely analogues seem to break for a mild (CET+1c>) December before a slight bias towards near average in Jan and Feb. This would be consistent with my findings that basin wide and west based events bias the AO to negative during Jan and Feb. The less likely analogues seem to want a mild Feb though.

Do you mean (Dec-Feb)? Because  looking at 87 for example (presuming you mean Winter 1986/87) the (mild, cold, average) looks right but below you've put (Jan-Mar) and in 1987s case that would have been (cold, average, cold) I think? So just checking whether you put (Jan-Mar) by mistake?

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted

Turning milder next week then colder next weekend before turning milder again at the start of Christmas week

1314532563.thumb.png.384d955e0f6739a4239

A bit of everything over the next 10 days or so

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35077364

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Can't say I'm surprised SS, fully expect that part of the forecast to be correct, about mild to start Xmas week, and can believe the 'colder next weekend' bit, 10C and windy for the South, sleet/snow showers for the north

Posted
1 hour ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Do you mean (Dec-Feb)? Because  looking at 87 for example (presuming you mean Winter 1986/87) the (mild, cold, average) looks right but below you've put (Jan-Mar) and in 1987s case that would have been (cold, average, cold) I think? So just checking whether you put (Jan-Mar) by mistake?

Yes, Dec-Feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I reckon this spell of weather would "feel" far more remarkable if it involved some of those rare days of unusual warmth accompanied by bright sunshine (like 13 February 1998 did across the majority of England).   Or if a few days of unusual warmth really stuck out, like in the second week of December 1994.  At the moment it just feels to me like a typical changeable mid to late autumn spell, but in December.  I imagine that I'd have far harsher words to say about it if I was living in or near Cumbria though, especially with more persistent rain to come tomorrow.

I'm keeping an eye on Thursday/Friday of next week- potential for record high temperatures by both day and night if that comes off.

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

It struck me that the El Niños that were classified as strong to very strong 1957-58, 1965-66, 1972-73, 1982-83, 1997-98 all had Aprils that were on the cool to cold side and or had a notable wintry episode in them after those winters.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It struck me that the El Niños that were classified as strong to very strong 1957-58, 1965-66, 1972-73, 1982-83, 1997-98 all had Aprils that were on the cool to cold side and or had a notable wintry episode in them after those winters.

What about March and to a lesser extent Feb, WH?

I'm thinking along the lines of a tail-end winter...

Posted
17 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

What about March and to a lesser extent Feb, WH?

I'm thinking along the lines of a tail-end winter...

March 1958 was cold, February 1973 had a wintry period.

February 1966 was an interesting month, cold in Scotland but mild further south but with a cold mid month.

February 1983 was a cold month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Pomeroysnow said:

All this mild weather and we can still get pleasant surprises like today 

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

Much easier for you lot in the north. Manchester southwards always finds it so much harder in this set up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
On 10 December 2015 at 7:25 PM, Ed Stone said:

Don't get me wrong, peeps; I love snow as much as any of you. But when snow's not on the menu, 16C is surely better than 8C??:D

Not when it's bloody raining all the time...so no not really :-(

• Like 1

Posted

Observation - the last 2 times we saw flooding anywhere near a bad as last week were Jan 2005 and Nov 2009. Not saying it will happen again, but its very uncanny how a month after these events we saw cold blocked set ups with easterlies and northerlies lasting a month.

Mid Feb - Mid Mar 05

Mid Dec 09 - Mid Jan 10

The 4 week period leading up to the change was dominated in the main by atlantic mild weather, but we did see northerly incursions in early Feb 05.

The periods above were relatively dry in the north and even more interesting is how we saw a length very dry spell after these events, 2005/2006 and 2010 into 2011 was very dry overall..

Mother nature has a habit of balancing herself out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Crazy temperature contrast! Currently 1.4c here so might even get the first air frost!! :shok:

temp3.thumb.PNG.fb215f74a4021c469231549e

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today is the 8th day this month to reach a maximum temp'  of 10c here, a record for December and it's only the 12th.

The previous record was 7 days in 1985 and 2000. Even December 1988, which was the mildest on record, managed only 5 days with 10c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Observation - the last 2 times we saw flooding anywhere near a bad as last week were Jan 2005 and Nov 2009. Not saying it will happen again, but its very uncanny how a month after these events we saw cold blocked set ups with easterlies and northerlies lasting a month.

Mid Feb - Mid Mar 05

Mid Dec 09 - Mid Jan 10

The 4 week period leading up to the change was dominated in the main by atlantic mild weather, but we did see northerly incursions in early Feb 05.

The periods above were relatively dry in the north and even more interesting is how we saw a length very dry spell after these events, 2005/2006 and 2010 into 2011 was very dry overall..

Mother nature has a habit of balancing herself out.

And interestingly, cold incursion came as early 10 days after the January 2005 event with a brief northerly on the 18th then more persistent cold weather by the 22nd. We had snow here on the 23rd and a run of cold frosty days thereafter. Fingers crossed this is the case now though I feel we may have to wait a bit longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

id be inclined to think this winter is over if cold in the south is whats being expected...

very super  el nino 97/98 

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted
7 hours ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

id be inclined to think this winter is over if cold in the south is whats being expected...

7 hours ago, emotional rollercoaster said:

Here are photos of Portsmouth from December 1997 with snow on the ground during the El Niño you mentioned.

http://www.oocities.org/motorcity/1333/prtmsnw2.htm

http://www.oocities.org/motorcity/1333/prtmsnow.htm

Posted

13th of December and the first air frost of the winter (and all of autumn) Still 0c now. 

Nice pattern on my car.

frost.thumb.JPG.a95a717501bf6ad487f0ce32

• Like 5

Posted

Some huge contracts between the north and south of the country at the moment, winter in the north and early spring like in the south

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

After the coldest night of the season follows the coldest day with a max temp this afternoon of 3.4c. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*