Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Seriously though, CFS is awful.

Actually the CFS has improved over recent years, in fact its performance last winter wasn't too bad and was the best long ranger in predicting the summer just gone with hot weather over Europe and near normal temperatures over the UK, this against the majority of other models which went for a cool and wet summer.

That said I wouldn't put much faith in long range models this winter given some big conflicting signals which put us in uncharted territory pattern wise.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

A new winter forecast using "Nature"  says a long cold winter ahead https://t.co/0qhpt2X6et

That's so strange? There are sheep round here that look like they have been shaved or such, its so short. Maybe its gonna be 30c in dec?

• Like 1

Posted

As a few others have commented, the forum seems unusually quiet so far this season.. normally by now we see lots of activity with regard to speculation for the winter ahead - its less than 2 weeks away yet it feels many are in slumber land.. perhaps the unusual warmth of late is messing with people's inner rhythms so to speak and fooling people into a false sense of an eternal autumnal state.

I'm hoping to see a few winter forecasts posted shortly. I've hardly seen any this year.. what is happening???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

People have been so burnt in recent years so are resting on their laurels.....that's usually when a big surprise will come from nowhere!!!! (Is my hoping anyway,lol!).

Not even a load of ramping about this weekend happening....everyone just like, yeh yeh yeh..... let's see if they get caught out?!x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

I feel alot of uncertanty regarding this winter...and last years good runs that went belly up is alsways gonna be in the backs of minds.. exciting times ahead imo but im a bottom grade novis at this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

As a few others have commented, the forum seems unusually quiet so far this season.. normally by now we see lots of activity with regard to speculation for the winter ahead - its less than 2 weeks away yet it feels many are in slumber land.. perhaps the unusual warmth of late is messing with people's inner rhythms so to speak and fooling people into a false sense of an eternal autumnal state.

I'm hoping to see a few winter forecasts posted shortly. I've hardly seen any this year.. what is happening???

I'll tell you this, people have held off with the winter forecasts because you could literally flip a coin at the minute as to which route we head down. Up until a week or two ago many people would have had their forecasts sewn up- Mild, wet start and potentially colder later in winter. However, given recent events both tropospherically and stratospherically (potentially), I would bet a lot of forecasts are being amended to acknowledge what could happen instead.

• Like 5

Posted

Look very similar to the untrailed eye apart from the sea temp ... intresting winter to be following this year.

Edited by Helzmc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

November started off exceptionally mild

Then it got wet and stormy

That was 1946 I was referring to.

Just saying... <fingers crossed>  :)

Posted

That's more like it! A good old winter ramp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Like your thinking there TimmyTour  :friends:  :cold:  :hi:

Posted

Looks like j roger smith going for cold weather end jan early feb with possibly heavey snow fingers crossed guys hes preety much on the money with his predictions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Looks like j roger smith going for cold weather end jan early feb with possibly heavey snow fingers crossed guys hes preety much on the money with his predictions

Very specific - Although he could be lucky and get it right!

Edited by Karl83

Posted

There's been floods as well, which I'm pretty sure there was in 2010.

Thats right...an we jad a bad storm a couple of days before hand also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Just posted this under the ENSO thread, with respect to the possibility of the currently Full-Basin or Hybrid El Nino mutating into a Central Pacific (CP) El Nino by around midwinter, as a fair bit of long range model guidance has been suggesting lately. In brackets, I've added explanations for the technical terms:

I believe the atmosphere has been racing along 'ahead of schedule' in terms of response to the current strong El Nino event, in that we've seen a strong displacement east of high pressure from The Azores to Europe before the winter season has even got underway, followed by stratospheric wave breaking (anomalously warm air entering the stratosphere and interfering with the usual counter-clockwise circulation that wants to keep cold air trapped in the Arctic) along the typical El Nino path (i.e. via typical surface weather anomalies for a strong El Nino Nov-Jan period) but sooner than the analogue years seemed to suggest (to my eyes, at least). The trouble is, that pathway to stratospheric vortex disruption (the interfering mentioned earlier) later in the season looks at great risk of being derailed by misbehaving tropical convection in the near future, as it becomes unusually active across a wide stretch of the Indian Ocean in particular (rarely seen during strong El Nino conditions). Because of this, I am starting to get the feeling that a transitory CP El Nino type atmospheric response (change in weather patterns that favours high pressure NW of the UK with cold air moving south across our lands) may be our greatest card when playing for an extended cold, snowy period of weather this winter.

Please, oh mighty El Nino, metamorphose into a CP event and save us from chasing toppling mid-Atlantic ridges that tease but seldom deliver for the snow-starved southerners!  :help:  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Tend to agree with that Fred, And certainly a pattern showing strongly in the Models as we head into December re-deep stormy N/W shots turning Northerly at times. A good old fashioned 80's set-up ☺

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Be nice if he HP period I suggest moves across like the GFS 12z suggests rather than my further south option.  That would make it very interesting re cold

BFTP

• Like 1