Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scots Gnats: the curse of Scotland?

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Ever wondered why some peeps get eaten alive while others remain unharmed? This may be edging towards an answer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jh4ss/the-secret-life-of-midges

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

There are mosquitoes, there are gnats (sometimes spelt Nats)  and then there are midgies.

I saw the documentary and it was fascinating if somewhat full of grue ( grueful or gruesome , not sure, whatever). What I do know is that they are ' horrible wee blighters and if the conditions are right the will eat anyone alive. Sprays, garlic and Skin So Soft are all but useless. The only thing that works is a fine voile full head and face net, thick jeans ( chest waders are even better!) gloves and full arm covering. Any exposed skin will be voraciously  attacked.

They will dive bomb, crawl and burrow through just about anything else. Sometimes it's best to avoid the hills between late June and the end of September.

Anyone who comes up with an effective deterrent will make a fortune, probably from me!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I can certainly agree there frog, They must be the most demoralising things in the world. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You should try putting the washing out, first thing on a warm and humid morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

They will dive bomb, crawl and burrow through just about anything else. Sometimes it's best to avoid the hills between late June and the end of September.

Oh I don't know, some of my quickest hillwalking rounds have been midge driven i.e. you keep moving as stopping for more than a few seconds is suicidal. On those sort of days a good breeze is your best friend.

Posted

I've known Scottish midges to fly all the way down to Worcstershire just to taste my delicious blood ......  

Posted

I have run off the Mamores to flee from them in the past.