Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Past winters discussion

Posted

Two pictures from a collection of many that I've amassed of this event: the blizzard of January '82, which is still the holy grail of snow events around here. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, and bear in mind that the first picture is from Cardiff, a southwestern coastal city.

1982_lisvane_street,_after_heavy_snowfal

11001725_10152721433514632_6086305636657

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it was 1995(?)  that brought the biggest surprise snow. By then, living in north Yorkshire, we'd been up to visit family in Dundee and were coming home either new years eve or the day before. When we set off from Dundee there was a biting wind and a few flurries blowing around but nothing significant, nowt troublesome forecast. Well, it got heavier and heavier. It was bitterly cold, almost neat screenwash freezing on the windscreen, the motorway was down to one lane with snowploughs out. The usual 4 ish hour journey took 13 hours! At times we seriously wondered if we'd make it but with two young children, a 9 month old baby and an old English sheepdog in the car we didn't have much option, we trudged on in a determined manner. Nightmare journey! We were however rewarded the next day when we woke to nigh on two foot of powder snow, clear blue sky and all the time in the world to go and play in it.

Down here in soggy Somerset I'm still waiting for one of those historic south west blizzards (19 years and counting....). February 2009 is the closest we've got, well over a foot of snow overnight, again not really forecast or expected. I think something stalled and pivoted apparently, whatever it was, it was an amazing surprise to wake up to.

From the description, it is unlikely to have been 30/31 December 1995, especially as that frontal event was followed by an exceptionally cloudy spell.  My guess would be 1996:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/cfsr/1996/Rcfsr_1_1996123100.png

Aside from the suprise snow of late January 1995, there was this nice snow event from either Feb 1990 or Feb 1991. I can't remember which year that was now :(

attachicon.gifimg014.jpg

attachicon.gifimg013.jpg

I think this will have been the culprit:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/cfsr/1991/Rcfsr_1_1991020712.png

My earliest surviving memory of snow was from that easterly spell.  I vaguely recall snow sticking around for over a week in South Shields.

As for late-January 1995, there were two main frontal events, the 25th which brought heavy wet snow to much of northern England, including that exceptional 40cm fall around Leeds, and then the 27th brought more although it then turned much milder on the 28th with a thaw.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/cfsr/1995/Rcfsr_1_1995012512.png

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

30-31 Dec '96 was very good here, snowed lightly all day as well on 1st January '97, only snow I have ever had on new years day

apart from 2002, new years day is nearly always mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

New Year's Day 1995 was pretty cold with significant snowfalls for some, especially north-east Scotland.  There was a "Cheshire Gap" feed of showers due to the wind backing to a north to north-westerly direction, though not sure how much it affected Staffordshire.  In Tyneside, a trough moving south in the northerly flow brought a dusting of snow around mid-morning but most of the snow showers stayed out in the North Sea, again due to the westerly component to the northerly wind.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/cfsr/1995/Rcfsr_1_1995010112.png

There were also frequent snow showers in Tyneside during the afternoon of New Year's Eve 1994, but the snow failed to settle.

Christmas Day 1995 was my most memorable white Christmas since moderate to heavy east-coast snow showers persisted for most of the day, although the snow was not as deep as on Christmas Day 2010.  However my most memorable winters are bound, in the long run, to end up being 2009/10 and the early part of 2010/11.  The frequency of lying snow for the 2010 calendar year was widely the highest since at least 1963.

Regarding mild wet blustery winters, I was too young to appreciate the extremity of 1989/1990, but I recall that 1993/94 and 1994/95 both had a lot of blustery west to south-westerlies.  1994/95 in particular was a similar type of winter IMHO, though watered-down by comparison.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

We've had quite a few cold New Year's Days in the last few years too. New Year's Day 2009 was very chilly with quite a stagnant area of high pressure to the north of the UK. There wasn't much snow around, but many places had a very hard frost in the morning, and afternoon temperatures barely above freezing.

post-21671-0-75960100-1447714823_thumb.g

Then New Year's Day 2010 was bitterly cold with a north easterly wind screaming in across the UK. It is to this date my coldest New Year's Day on record. There was even some very heavy snow around in some parts of the UK on this day.

post-21671-0-63143300-1447714824_thumb.g

Then again, New Year's Day 2011 was another chilly one, with a northerly wind stretching all of the way back to the North Pole. Again not much snow around, but a chilly one certainly.

post-21671-0-43555300-1447714825_thumb.g

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We've had quite a few cold New Year's Days in the last few years too. New Year's Day 2009 was very chilly with quite a stagnant area of high pressure to the north of the UK. There wasn't much snow around, but many places had a very hard frost in the morning, and afternoon temperatures barely above freezing.

attachicon.gifRrea00120090101.gif

Then New Year's Day 2010 was bitterly cold with a north easterly wind screaming in across the UK. It is to this date my coldest New Year's Day on record. There was even some very heavy snow around in some parts of the UK on this day.

attachicon.gifRrea00120100101.gif

Then again, New Year's Day 2011 was another chilly one, with a northerly wind stretching all of the way back to the North Pole. Again not much snow around, but a chilly one certainly.

attachicon.gifRrea00120110101.gif

There have also been a few near misses e.g. 2003 which turned cold by the 03rd, 2004 which turned cold on the 02nd and 2008 which turned cold on the 03rd. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

For very dry winters..1991-1992 and 2005-2006 stick out for me...75/76 I think was also pretty dry..1991 had the very cold anticyclonic spell of mid December with some very cold nights below -10c which is very rare without snow cover and very cold days..,many failed to get above freezing...anyone remember this spell?

Posted

March 2013 was the most snow I've experienced in my lifetime. A full day of heavy snow from a stationary front.

High winds and serious drifting in the hills. Drifts of 20ft in places which took until May to fully melt!

Posted

Strictly late Autumn but November 1893 (posted this in the history forum)

This snow event has largely been forgotten but this brought a remarkable blizzard across many parts of the UK as a low pressure tracked across the country and pulled down a very fierce Arctic NNEly.

Rrea00118931118.gif

Rrea00218931119.gif

Here are some reports on this remarkable but forgotten storm.

Addington: The 18th was a very wild day; snow began to fall about 11m and driven by a very high wind, formed great wreaths of 3ft, 4ft and 5ft deep on the south of all hedges running E and W.

Woolstaston: A wild blizzard raged on the 18th from noon to night with drving snow and sleet.

Orleton: A great gale occurred on the 18th and 19th, accompanied by snow, which drifted very much.

Aberdeen: Violent gale on 18th, winds about 90mph, great destruction to plantations and loss of life at sea.

Douglas: Terrific N and NNW gales with snow

Callander: Terrific gale, causing the greatest destruction since 1703, the area extended from the Forth to the Shetlands; damage estimated at 2 millions.

Coupar Angus: An unprecendented hurricane from the NE; laying down forests of wood like grain.

Kensington: Violent gale from NW with snow towards night.

Finchley: Snow yielding 0.27 inches of water; remaining on ground till 22nd

Haslemere: Northerly gale with heavy snow and deep drifts

Sheppey: NE gale

Emsworth: NW gale with snow for 12 hours; drifts 4 to 5 feet deep

Lyss: Blizzard with snow drifts

Kensworth: Gale with snow

Oxford: Gale with snow

Banbury: NE to NW gale and driving snow all day

Nothampton: A terrible evening with blinding snow and ice

Ely: Very rough with snow which drifted

Walthamstow: Severe N gale with perfect blizzard of snow in afternoon and evening. Deep drifts blocking roads in places.

Tavistock: Severe gale with snow

Hampnett Rectory: Blizzard in the afternoon

Cheltenham: A fearful storm with snow

Coventry: Heavy fall of snow, much drifted

Nottingham: The first snow of the season, deep drifts

Ketton Hall: Gale with snow after 4pm

Baldersby: Severe gale from the N with snow lsting 24 hours

Corwen: Heavy snowstorm and snow on following two days

Cheadle: Snow

Further Barton: NW gale with snow, a true blizzard on the 18th

Knutsford: Snow

Keswick: Violent north gale with snow, doing great damage

Rhiwbryfdir: Great storm of wind and snow

Bishops Cannings: N to NE gales with snow on the 18th and 19th

Leicester: Snow nearly 4ft deep not far from here</p><p>It was one hell of an event!</p><p>The snow and the cold lasted until about the 20th in the south when high pressure built in from the west cutting off the NEly flow.

</p>

• Like 1

Posted

For very dry winters..1991-1992 and 2005-2006 stick out for me...75/76 I think was also pretty dry..1991 had the very cold anticyclonic spell of mid December with some very cold nights below -10c which is very rare without snow cover and very cold days..,many failed to get above freezing...anyone remember this spell?

I do remember the cold spell in mid Dec 91, it was relatively shortlived and as you dry, it produced lethal black ice, and because of the dry ground it caught many out.

Winter 91/92 was snow free for many, but there was a lengthy cold frosty period second half of Jan. Feb from memory was very mild.

Winter 05/06 though also very dry was more variable and colder overall, with some snow in late Dec and late Feb. It was a frustrating winter for snow cold lovers, it wasn't far off being a notably cold wintry one - the foundations were there, a negative NAO and AO combo, but never played out that way. I recall it was very cold in eastern Europe and Russia, we were too close to the mid atlantic heights. When we did finally see  a proper cold synoptic it was rather late - early March delivered some significant snow in the north.

I'm ok with dry winters if they produce decent cold frosty conditions with a bit of snow at times, but no snow is a bit of a waste. Sooner have a 05/06 than a 13/14 winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

This one's mine. Back then, still living at home on high ground in the Cotswolds, it was heavenly and definitely one of the best spots for catching the highest falls.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Look-frozen-winter-1981-2/story-14267881-detail/story.html

• Like 1

Posted

I've moved around a bit in my life, but each place (except 1, although that place made up with stunning scenery!) has given me something to remember.

I lived in Lowestoft from when I was born in 1978 to 1998. Living by the coast is a bit of a Russian Roulette when it comes to snow events. I can remember some terrific snows from the 80s and 90s, but likewise, I can remember some very heavy cold rain while places inland like Norwich saw deep snow. 1987, 1991 and the very end of 1996 stick in my mind for there.

Then I went to Bangor University in Wales from 1998 to 2001. In the city itself, I saw no lying snow at all in the 3 winters I was there. Obviously you didn't need to venture far inland but I've seen pictures of deep snow in Bangor so maybe I just got unlucky for those 3 years.

Then I lived in Sunderland from 2001 until 2004. A very snowy place when it all comes together. Seen the deepest snows of my adult life in Sunderland. The end of February 2004 was very localised but exceptional.

Lived in Columbus, Ohio from 2004 until 2006. Lots of snow (not as deep as Sunderland managed, but far far longer lasting). It was the deep cold that stood out when I was there. Also loved the drama of a strong winter cold front there. 21c to -2c in 6 hours on a January day in 2005.

Then back to the UK and Gnosall near Stafford from 2006 to 2008. Not much to report from those years. February 2007 gave a little something as did April 2008.

Wordsley in Stourbridge from 2008 to 2012. Obviously some very memorable winter events during those years. However, Wordsley is quite low down compared to a lot of the Black Country, so never saw quite as much as other people and there was always the risk of being on the wrong side of marginal...sometimes, a quick drive up Brettel Lane towards Brierley Hill could sort that one out!

Then from 2012 I've been here in Upper Gornal in Dudley...one of the highest parts of the Black Country. Jan 2013 was excellent but March 2013 was superb here (although I heard it was rubbish down in Wordsley showing the difference around here).

One stand out event that no-one has mentioned...and I run the risk of being chased out of this excellent thread...is February 1998. Amazing for completely different reasons but I can live without a repeat of that month this time around! (It was pleasant though!)

• Like 2

Posted

attachicon.gifRrea00120090101.gif

attachicon.gifRrea00120100101.gif

attachicon.gifRrea00120110101.gif

We had fog precipitating snow here that New Year's Eve 2008. Very localised it was.

Newyearf.jpg

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Posted

We had fog precipitating snow here that New Year's Eve 2008. Very localised it was.

Newyearf.jpg

I don't remember much of January 2009, to be honest.

From that whole winter, I remember a snowy spell at the start of December (around the 2nd-3rd) and then another more significant snowy spell in the run-up to Christmas. Then for January, I only remember a bit of snow around the 8th-10th, that's it.

I remember the first week of February 2009 quite well though.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted

I don't remember much of January 2009, to be honest.

From that whole winter, I remember a snowy spell at the start of December (around the 2nd-3rd) and then another more significant snowy spell in the run-up to Christmas. Then for January, I only remember a bit of snow around the 8th-10th, that's it.

I remember the first week of February 2009 quite well though.

yes, good winter that, Feb '09 especially,

tomorrow is 19 years ago since snowfest stafford, 15cms, must have been huge amounts high up,

Posted

I don't remember too much from January 2009 either, no snow but it did have a very cold start here with a minimum of -9.0C on the 7th (even with it clouding up at 3am).

That was of course beaten by January 2010 (-12.2C) and then December 2010 (-14.0C).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I don't remember too much from January 2009 either, no snow but it did have a very cold start here with a minimum of -9.0C on the 7th (even with it clouding up at 3am).

That was of course beaten by January 2010 (-12.2C) and then December 2010 (-14.0C).

Indeed, 26th December until 11th January was a notable cold, frosty and dry period here, with snow grains on the 04th and a few snow showers on the 05th. The 06th-09th was the coldest period when the Bristol Harbour froze completely.

Posted

Speaking of early snowfalls, someone has just left me a comment on one of my YouTube videos and it had me thinking...

I remember going to a Bonfire Night display (it was a few days after Bonfire Night actually) when I was around 6 or 7 and it was snowing whilst the fireworks were going off. It snowed for most of that evening and did accumulate a cm or two. It must have been something like 8-10 November 2003 or 2004, if anyone can remember that event?

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted

2001 I think, Thursday 8th produced a few light flurries here

infact Scott, looking back at archives, can only be 2001 (new Atlantic 252 yay!), certainly cannot be 03 or 04

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

2001 I think, Thursday 8th produced a few light flurries here

I've had a look at the charts and it can't possibly have been 2003 or 2004. I even had a look at 2002 and 2005 and it doesn't look likely either. If I remember a snow event from when I was 4 years old, that really is quite something.

2001 seems like I wasn't old enough, if I'm honest though.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted

I've had a look at the charts and it can't possibly have been 2003 or 2004. I even had a look at 2003 and 2005 and it doesn't look likely either. If I remember a snow event from when I was 4 years old, that really is quite something.

2001 seems like I wasn't old enough, if I'm honest though.

posted at same time there! yeah just edited mine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was up in the Scottish Highlands in 2001. Best winter (apart from 1963, '79 and '82) that I can remember!

Posted

Not the coldest but the windiest/snowiest spell I remember was just before Christmas 1973 when a  South Easterly blizzard created drifts up to nine feet deep burying the front windows of the farm house. I was down in Perth working on a dairy farm for my 6 months practical at  agricultural college  where there was hardly any snow and came back north by train for the holidays. The car trip home from the station was between 8 foot walls of snow  between the dykes (stone walls) with just the blue sky visible above us .The  country roads had been cleared by a snow blower a few days before. Because of the depth of drifting can only guess that we had about a foot of  level snow

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1