Spikecollie

The world has gone mad...

its the same idiotic mind set that doesnt use common sense, and context, but instead jumps to sweeping statements of 'racism', because they take the definition to its extreme , that has got 'melting pot' banned, along with comedies that cannot be made now, like it aint half hot mum, till death us do part, fawlty towers (after all, andrew sachs wasnt spanish but portrayed a stereotype didnt he) or even father bloody ted to be created. 

Edited by Paul

44 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

its the same idiotic mind set that doesnt use common sense, and context, but instead jumps to sweeping statements of 'racism', because they take the definition to its extreme , that has got 'melting pot' banned, along with comedies that cannot be made now, like it aint half hot mum, till death us do part, fawlty towers (after all, andrew sachs wasnt spanish but portrayed a stereotype didnt he) or even father bloody ted to be created. god what a dreadfully bland sterile world these snowflakes are creating...

Time you popped down the local, mushy? image.thumb.png.ffc5044b3b4f04e04428d2c783a71026.png :oldgrin:

On 08/09/2019 at 09:09, mushymanrob said:

its the same idiotic mind set that doesnt use common sense, and context, but instead jumps to sweeping statements of 'racism', because they take the definition to its extreme , that has got 'melting pot' banned, along with comedies that cannot be made now, like it aint half hot mum, till death us do part, fawlty towers (after all, andrew sachs wasnt spanish but portrayed a stereotype didnt he) or even father bloody ted to be created. 

i have said it before  but thankfully most of this stuff is mainly restricted to TV  the luvvy crowd  and Twitter   most ( in normal life)  just get on with it  and much hasnt changed.   were i live at least.   However over in Yankee land  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-49635136?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story

Culture  appropiation  rears its head again 

Edited by weirpig

Fireman sam  NOOOOO    a step to far  on the streets i go  torch and pitch fork 

Edited by weirpig

8 hours ago, weirpig said:

Not sure why people are kicking off about fireman Sam going, it's quite lame that they are moaning about it... Piers Morgan sounded like an idiot when ranting about it this morning (and surely that would resemble a 'snowflake').

Is it not possible to change a character aimed as a children's show? It's just that they wanted something else and thought Fireman Sam was dated, big deal... lol.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

9 hours ago, weirpig said:

A sequel series will be filmed apparently, called Firefighter Samantha😉.

The lead role will be voiced by Sturgeon, her two main direct reports will be voiced by Caroline Lucas and Harriet Harman. Fireman Sam is to be demoted to chief teamaker and general dogsbody who will be the subject of continuous sexist jokes, and suffer daily, being subjected to bottom-pinching🤣

Edited by Bristle boy

10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

A sequel series will be filmed apparently, called Firefighter Samantha😉.

The lead role will be voiced by Sturgeon, her two main direct reports will be voiced by Caroline Lucas and Harriet Harman. Fireman Sam is to be demoted to chief teamaker and general dogsbody who will be the subject of continuous sexist jokes, and suffer daily, being subjected to bottom-pinching🤣

That one's been axed already -- it's far too gender-specific! I think they've opted for LGBTQ Larry instead..?:oops:

Edited by Ed Stone

1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Not sure why people are kicking off about fireman Sam going, it's quite lame that they are moaning about it... Piers Morgan sounded like an idiot when ranting about it this morning (and surely that would resemble a 'snowflake').

Is it not possible to change a character aimed as a children's show? It's just that they wanted something else and thought Fireman Sam was dated, big deal... lol.

who are they? bet the general public wasn't consulted ..why cant they leave stuff well alone..if it aint broke etc

2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That one's been axed already -- it's far too gender-specific!

Hmm....i'm not yet up to speed with gender neutral stuff. Felt very proud to accompany my wife this lunchtime to pick up our grandaughter from reception year school, as she was handed over to us by her teacher, dressed in the girls' school uniform, consisting of a lovely dress, blouse and very feminine red cardigan.👍

4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

who are they? bet the general public wasn't consulted ..why cant they leave stuff well alone..if it aint broke etc

By the fire chiefs looking to hire more firefighters. As of 2017, only 5.2% of firefighters were female so they saw that as a potential area to improve upon for recruitment. Therefore they decided to change the mascot to try and change things in the long run.

Don't see why people are kicking off about it so much, Piers Morgan wanted the fire chief to be sacked!

I love what's replaced him  cant get a pic on here  but they either look like coloured contraceptives  or  tropical dart frogs  depending on the angle   lol 

Hang on  meet the gender fluid gang  I'm sure women will be flocking into firefighting 

AAH8WUh (1).jpeg

Edited by weirpig

The ironic thing is that as a programme Fireman Sam in its modern series’ is very inclusive and has 2 strong female firefighters, a black nurse, a disabled girl and several other lead females both adult and child!

2 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

By the fire chiefs looking to hire more firefighters. As of 2017, only 5.2% of firefighters were female so they saw that as a potential area to improve upon for recruitment. Therefore they decided to change the mascot to try and change things in the long run.

Don't see why people are kicking off about it so much, Piers Morgan wanted the fire chief to be sacked!

when are they going to be pushing for more male hairdressers, nail technicians, primary school teachers etc??

42 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

when are they going to be pushing for more male hairdressers, nail technicians, primary school teachers etc??

Who knows... I'm not sure if changing fireman Sam will lead to more female firefighters to make up for the current staff shortages lol...... but can't blame them for trying.

I'm just surprised there has been such a big reaction to the change! haha

why do we have mens and womens football? why are males and females always segregated at sport?.... its because in general, we have different body types, with males generally being more muscular and stronger.

so why is there a need in the fire service to correct the gender inbalance?.. i mean, so what if more males are attracted to a heavy physical job? it shouldnt proclude females who wish to do it.

17 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Who knows... I'm not sure if changing fireman Sam will lead to more female firefighters to make up for the current staff shortages lol...... but can't blame them for trying.

I'm just surprised there has been such a big reaction to the change! haha

i don't think 18-30 year old women looking at potential careers watch fireman Sam

2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't think 18-30 year old women looking at potential careers watch fireman Sam

Lol I don't think so either, it's a moved aimed at encouraging a younger age group to join later on... as I say though not sure it will work...

1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Lol I don't think so either, it's a moved aimed at encouraging a younger age group to join later on... as I say though not sure it will work...

that's the trouble when you have adults trying to view the world through the eyes of a child..children don't see gender, race or sexual orientation..does not a matter whether Fireman Sam is Arthur or Martha..they just like the stories

12 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

that's the trouble when you have adults trying to view the world through the eyes of a child..children don't see gender, race or sexual orientation..does not a matter whether Fireman Sam is Arthur or Martha..they just like the stories

This is not the case as numerous studies would indicate, if you care to review the various links on the internet.

Here's one: 

Bias in the talent pipeline starts before school

How far can a gender-neutral ethos go in challenging years of ingrained stereotyping?

https://www.ft.com/content/a89228e2-76d7-11e7-a3e8-60495fe6ca71

The only issue i have   and shock horror  its nothing to do with Fireman Sam.  Its  with the push for more diversity  i dont want the standards to drop.  Which to be honest it already has   as the Fitness tests over the past few years have been altered  and made somewhat easier.  Also the strive for more diversity has also affected the testing procedure  which in my opinion is wrong   it should never be easier for other demographics to pass the test more  than someone else. 

Edited by Blessed Weather
Edit to last sentence.

A (selective) quote from the DM

But fire service bosses say the old tests did not accurately reflect the work of firefighters and that standards remain the same. 

London fire brigade deputy assistant commissioner Dany Cotton, a firefighter for 23 years and Britain's most senior female in the service, insist: 'Ever since I've been in the job people have been saying that standards have been dropping to let people in and I've not seen evidence of that.

'People who express these views are dinosaurs and very chauvinistic and need to get with the programme. It's 2011, women are firefighters; get over it.'     

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375381/Fire-service-strength-fitness-tests-relaxed-allow-women-firefighters.html

And one from the Guardian 

Firefighting is about ingenuity, not just strength. Women like me are an asset

https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2017/mar/04/firefighting-bedfordshire-fire-service-ingenuity-women-diversity

Staying on the substance of the topic/thread, and not the merits of positive or negative discrimination, the points I am attempting to make are;

• gender-stereotyping occurs in pre-school children and is influenced by stories, tv, parenting etc;
  • there does not appear to be a drop in the standards/effectiveness of the fire service on account of women recruits.

Ever wondered what psychological peculiarities lie behind racism, sexism, chauvinism, exceptionalism?