Spikecollie

The world has gone mad...

Not sure whether this belongs here or in the "Serious Discussion" area, but let's put it here for now.

This prompted me to start the thread:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-34759939

Erm, fireworks are based around enough of an explosion to propel and ignite their contents...explosions powerful enough to do this tend to make a bit of noise!

We had a little fireworks display for our little one with food and sparklers, some of the rockets banged a bit but she loved it. In fact we had some rather noisy fireworks at 10pm last night in our village and as I write a house not even a minute away is having some and she is happily watching them bangs and all.

Of course I understand that some children would find it scary, but i agree that some noise is unavoidable.

But that's what today is all about, moaning and complaining all the time about little things. The next thing we will hear will be displays will be banned or at least the one in the news article. 

Spoiling it for others seems to make folk tick.

Kids and puppies are pretty much the same. We got both of our dogs used to fireworks and thunderstorms at a very early age by calm behaviour around them during the events. Panicky parents make panicky children and anxiety is perceived by very subtle signals.

I had a wee display for my first-born's 1st birthday...she went to sleep in her buggy! :rofl:

It doesn't stop at fireworks this stupidity, I often read about the new 'rules' schools bring in. For example, we gave bubs a choccy biscuit as a small treat in her lunch box ( she can't eat certain foods so has a packed lunch maybe once or twice some weeks) and they took it off her and left us a snotty note not to put chocolate in her box because of allergies. 

A lot of School heads are going on serious power trips.

Edited by Dami

I did notice this year how November 5th bonfire was hugely underhyped on the media very little if anything mentioned that I saw except on a soap lol, well last year too but this year more than ever unlike Halloween for instance way over the top unlike,Bonfire night was the original rebellion by Guy fawkes to pull off their plan to blow up the houses Parliament.

I havn`t heard any fireworks this year very strange.

http://www.bonfirenight.net/gunpowder.php

As for fireworks the best are definitely shrewsbury flower show fireworks superb.

Fiirework night otherwise just bangers are a few small ones years ago not impressed anyway.

Had indoor fireworks in the past at Christmas.

As for the title the world is definitely mad and getting madder by the so-called controllers.

Had a nice fireworks display with grand kids ,made a mess of the garden with the explosives left over from my business :0..

It doesn't stop at fireworks this stupidity, I often read about the new 'rules' schools bring in. For example, we gave bubs a choccy biscuit as a small treat in her lunch box ( she can't eat certain foods so has a packed lunch maybe once or twice some weeks) and they took it off her and left us a snotty note not to put chocolate in her box because of allergies. 

A lot of School heads are going on serious power trips.

teachers are a product of university education im afraid ...where dictatorial PC is rampant...then they take the same attitude and beliefs into school with them

teachers are a product of university education im afraid ...where dictatorial PC is rampant...then they take the same attitude and beliefs into school with them

What on earth has the post you quoted got to do with political correctness?!

Anyway, I love fireworks, especially the louder ones! Every year we hear about parents and pet owners complaining about them, if we legislated to outlaw everything that slightly inconveniences a minority of people then we'd be able to do nothing.

Edited by Nick L

They don't have to be loud to propel pretty sparks out, even the air burst style ones have the booming part included as an extra.
The booms are often low frequency, you can literally feel them in your body, this is scary for animals - you can't explain it isn't dangerous.
Then there's the ones that screech are almost as bad.
It's not just pets, horses and cattle really don't like it and can start careering around then crash through fences or crush each other at a gate.
This year has been particularly problematic when the 5th, 6th and 7th were all popular for random explosions.
You can get sedatives for nervous dogs but you need to know in advance when to give them!

Edited by 4wd

What on earth has the post you quoted got to do with political correctness?!

Anyway, I love fireworks, especially the louder ones! Every year we hear about parents and pet owners complaining about them, if we legislated to outlaw everything that slightly inconveniences a minority of people then we'd be able to do nothing.

I'm on the fence with fireworks, on the one hand it's only really a couple of week (at most) every year so what's the big deal? It brightens up a dark time of year and brings joy to a lot of people. On the other hand if you've ever lived somewhere that the fireworks are fired randomly & mostly horizontally at cars, people or buildings then you might say different. I'm not that fussed about people's pets being scared by them, we had quite a lot of fireworks getting set off by various neighbours last year at our old house and the dogs never flickered once. I would be concerned however, if someone was setting fireworks off near outdoor livestock, as to me that's completely different. Each to their own I suppose on this topic :)

Although the parents should have known there would have to be some noise, I think the advertising of the fireworks display maybe left a little to be desired.

As for our dog, she's completely unfazed by fireworks or loud noises of any sort. Most likely due to her father being a gun dog, so it's in her breeding. In fact she'd probably love going to our local display because of all the people she could pester (search pockets for food). The only reason we don't is because of the looks we'd probably get.

Oh, and I'm not going to start on the annual "don't let your child bring nuts, or any food containing nuts to school" letter we get.

Although the parents should have known there would have to be some noise, I think the advertising of the fireworks display maybe left a little to be desired.

As for our dog, she's completely unfazed by fireworks or loud noises of any sort. Most likely due to her father being a gun dog, so it's in her breeding. In fact she'd probably love going to our local display because of all the people she could pester (search pockets for food). The only reason we don't is because of the looks we'd probably get.

Oh, and I'm not going to start on the annual "don't let your child bring nuts, or any food containing nuts to school" letter we get.

Your lucky it's just nuts. We aren't allowed chocolate in any form, nuts, sweets of any sort and fizzy drinks. They won't even let her eat a small fairy cake or cheesy biscuits either. It drives me mad.

Anyway. Fireworks are like most things in life. Some idiot does something stupid and we all have to suffer. For example we would often go to Lewes Bonfire and the people in the procession would drop their fire lit torches on the ground, leaving small burning piles on wood on the road which idiots would then throw fireworks in. One year one caught my dad's head and he bled form it quite badly. However we didn't run off and complain about it, we just took it for granted that unfortunately it was a risk at these sorts of things. Most organized displays I'm assuming are  safe for all involved most of the time. (I have been to one that someone was hurt, after he went back to check on a firework that didn't appear to go off) 

But this day and age that sort of accident would of probably caused a lot of things to happen, maybe the banning of the torches all together. 

TBH the way things are going what will be able to do/say/eat without offending someone. Without someone wanting this and that stopped? 

Just over a week ago whilst I was still in France I bumped into a fellow Brit I have known for a few years an he also has house down there - I asked what brought him over at this time of year and he said to escape the fireworks on account of his dogs.

I can sympathise with his point - we can't explain to animals what fireworks are about - generally all they understand is that they are loud noises and flashes which terrify them and this must happen to domestic pets, livestock and animals in the wild. Sometimes it goes even further when yobbos decide it is fun to light a banger which they have attached to a cat's tail.

I am also trying to get my head around the contradiction of having a society which has become so oppressive against otherwise normal people having a smoke but at the same time allowing a multitude of pyrotechnique devices spewing out all manner of obnoxious fumes and chemicals into the atmosphere generally which must affect everybody to a greater or lesser degree but more particularly those suffering from disability or impairment of their lungs.

It  doesn't last for just one day a year as it did when I was a youngster but often carries on for virtually a fortnight and now it has become vogue to set a few off on New Year' Eve as well. 

And are we not extorted not to discriminate between different people to grounds of creed or religion yet each year we burn an effigy of the Catholic, Guy Fawkes, on a bonfire?

Yes, the world has become mad and continues even more so with the advent of time and the increasing demise of common sense.

Edited by mike Meehan

yeah let's just give up on fireworks all together. 

And while we're at it, no cars or anything that uses any kind of fuel and therefore release any chemicals.

No electricity either as making it burns fuel.

And I dare say living in a cave with a open fire would be dangerous as well. 

Edited by Dami

Your lucky it's just nuts. We aren't allowed chocolate in any form, nuts, sweets of any sort and fizzy drinks. They won't even let her eat a small fairy cake or cheesy biscuits either. It drives me mad.

Anyway. Fireworks are like most things in life. Some idiot does something stupid and we all have to suffer. For example we would often go to Lewes Bonfire and the people in the procession would drop their fire lit torches on the ground, leaving small burning piles on wood on the road which idiots would then throw fireworks in. One year one caught my dad's head and he bled form it quite badly. However we didn't run off and complain about it, we just took it for granted that unfortunately it was a risk at these sorts of things. Most organized displays I'm assuming are  safe for all involved most of the time. (I have been to one that someone was hurt, after he went back to check on a firework that didn't appear to go off) 

But this day and age that sort of accident would of probably caused a lot of things to happen, maybe the banning of the torches all together. 

TBH the way things are going what will be able to do/say/eat without offending someone. Without someone wanting this and that stopped?

dot worry Dami ,I try to offend someone every day ,:)

dot worry Dami ,I try to offend someone every day , :)

I find you very offensive :ninja::good:

yeah let's just give up on fireworks all together. 

And while we're at it, no cars or anything that uses any kind of fuel and therefore release any chemicals.

No electricity either as making it burns fuel.

And I dare say living in a cave with a open fire would be dangerous as well. 

If you live in a cave you have to adhere to the caves act 1985 and may i bring your attention to section 58 .1 Open fires are forbidden in a cave unless they are smokeless and fireless and odourless. £500 fine on breaking any of these rules. Neighbours  are encouraged to call the fire cheat hotline :rolleyes: and shop their neighbours to the council. :clap: 

I find you very offensive :ninja::good:

If you live in a cave you have to adhere to the caves act 1985 and may i bring your attention to section 58 .1 Open fires are forbidden in a cave unless they are smokeless and fireless and odourless. £500 fine on breaking any of these rules. Neighbours are encouraged to call the fire cheat hotline :rolleyes: and shop their neighbours to the council. :clap:

yes ,the troglodyte habitat act .... Thankyou lassie :).. Edited by Mokidugway

Gah, guys I'm being serious!

yes ,the troglodyte habitat act .... Thankyou lassie :)..

LOL My local council is full of troglos :(

Gah, guys I'm being serious!

I was being sarcastic dear Bappy towards rule makers and moaners :girl_devil::friends:

Edited by lassie23

LOL My local council is full of troglos :(

I was being sarcastic dear Bappy towards rule makers and moaners :girl_devil::friends:

Moaners that stop things happening or get things changed  make me sick, end of.

Sorry Dami ,I'm just sarcastic ;)...I'm on the red wine !!!!

I'm sober :oops: on the evian :drinks: Bappy you can give me a slap round the chops if it makes you feel better :girl_devil:

Edited by lassie23

The world really is going Mad.

I think this thread was intended to be sensible? :cc_confused: