Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2015 rainfall stats

damianslaw

Posted

Its been a notable dry Autumn so far in the Lake District, however, the start of November has been very wet so far, and the outlook is for much more rain - indeed hardly any respite in the days ahead and with a warm moist airstream the rainfall is very heavy..

Would be good to see how rainfall totals are doing so far..

I suspect it will end up a very wet month, indeed there are many similiarities with November 2009 (lets hope we are spared any flooding events), at this time of year the ground can become saturated very quickly with little in the way of evaporation, though I suspect the water table is much lower than this time in 2009 which had seen a preety wet summer and a wetter autumn thus far overall.

The way the frontal systems are developing waves with Cumbria as the target is very reminiscent of November 2009, the exceptional mildness is also very similar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fortunately the Tm airmasses in November 2009 were very brief weren't they? I think concentrated between the 16th and 22nd. Most of November 2009 from memory was characterised by rPm and Pm airmasses with an abundance of thundery slow-moving showers/rainbands leading to high rainfall totals down here. Won't forget that month for a very long time!

Posted

Fortunately the Tm airmasses in November 2009 were very brief weren't they? I think concentrated between the 16th and 22nd. Most of November 2009 from memory was characterised by rPm and Pm airmasses with an abundance of thundery slow-moving showers/rainbands leading to high rainfall totals down here. Won't forget that month for a very long time!

The month as a whole was very mild until the tail end, here we saw slow moving waving fronts entrailed within a moist airstream for much of the month - with frost limited until the end. The returning polar maritime air was pulled in from the azores and heavily modified..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The month as a whole was very mild until the tail end, here we saw slow moving waving fronts entrailed within a moist airstream for much of the month - with frost limited until the end. The returning polar maritime air was pulled in from the azores and heavily modified..

Maybe that contributed to the quite high incidence of thunder - I recorded such on the 03rd, 04th, 07th and 22nd, and I know some places closeby recorded thunder on the 29th although I didn't. Incidentally, while Cumbria was being soaked (the 18th/19th I believe?) it was bone dry down here, just dull mild and windy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Maybe that contributed to the quite high incidence of thunder - I recorded such on the 03rd, 04th, 07th and 22nd, and I know some places closeby recorded thunder on the 29th although I didn't. Incidentally, while Cumbria was being soaked (the 18th/19th I believe?) it was bone dry down here, just dull mild and windy.

Yes 18/19/20 November 2009.Even the topography round here which is sort of designed to deal with that type of weather couldn't cope.I know some places get more than 12" in a day but it really was biblical. The Tuesday night it rained so hard that it set off car alarms!