Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jethro

Rememberance Sunday.

Eternally grateful to those who sacrificed so much, so that we may have the freedom to live the life we have today.

post-6280-0-35405800-1446978422_thumb.jp

I thought it may be nice to share the memories and stories of your own family members who served during the two wars. Do you know what your ancestors did during the war? Do you have war heroes hidden in your family history?

My own family were incredibly lucky, despite being farmers and therefore reserved occupation, they all went off to fight. Three in the army, one in the navy, one air force and they all came home. My Mum, being the person she was, decided against staying home and being safe on the farm in the Cotswolds, headed for London and worked in a munitions factory all the way through the blitz. I don't know much about those in WW1 other than the story of my Grandpa, he was badly burned by mustard gas and lost a leg, typical of his generation, no one knew the details of how.

What tales do you have to tell?

Lest We Forget.. R.I.P to all the fallen.

Eternally grateful to those who sacrificed so much, so that we may have the freedom to live the life we have today.

attachicon.gif12191558_10153344767946775_6196425910518868156_n.jpg

I thought it may be nice to share the memories and stories of your own family members who served during the two wars. Do you know what your ancestors did during the war? Do you have war heroes hidden in your family history?

My own family were incredibly lucky, despite being farmers and therefore reserved occupation, they all went off to fight. Three in the army, one in the navy, one air force and they all came home. My Mum, being the person she was, decided against staying home and being safe on the farm in the Cotswolds, headed for London and worked in a munitions factory all the way through the blitz. I don't know much about those in WW1 other than the story of my Grandpa, he was badly burned by mustard gas and lost a leg, typical of his generation, no one knew the details of how.

What tales do you have to tell?

my grandfather was also gased ,I never met him but my mother said he suffered terribly ,RIP to him and all the fallen ....

Yes, thoughts today of all the lost lives in conflict, so many so young.

My late father lived to be 94, he was very lucky.

He was a sergeant in the Northants Yeomanry and went over with the Normandy Landings.

He was a tank mechanic. His regiment were absolutely slaughtered around him.

Today my big brother wore his medals at his village remembrance service.

B. 

My dad was a belvin boy, and when he passed away a few years ago, his name was written in a special book and that is carried through London today and every remembrance. 

lest we forget.

My husband's uncle's Lancaster bomber was shot down over Stettin in Poland in 1944 with the loss of all lives on board. His body was never recovered.

It was rather apt today, we tuned into Radio 4 medium band as we were travelling from Rouen to Calais listening to the Remembrance Service and travelling through the very area where so many of our 'Tommys' lost their lives - it rather brought their sacrifice home.  

We have our remembrance day on Wednesday here in France. I will go to the short service at the memorial and will be remembering all who died in the futility that is war, including the poor souls in Sinai. Problem is, as the supposed most intelligent species, we never learn...