Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What are your weather likes and dislikes at this time of year?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I can understand people not liking cold.

However to wake up and see everything covered in frost is a beautiful site.

yes i know its a beautiful sight...... i can appreciate its beauty.... i just hate cold!

PM air is my least favourite airstream at all times of the year, absolutely useless at low levels in the south

agreed... its often a wet cold which makes it even more unpleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

For autumn but this also applies for the other seasons:-

I hate mild/warm and humid Atlantic weather types. I hate mild/hot and sunny weather types. I hate mild/hot and stormy/thundery weather types. I hate mild/hot and humid continental weather types. I hate mild/warm and cloudy and mild/warm and foggy weather types. I hate moderate and torrential intensity rain weather types regardless of temperature. I hate gale force and worse force winds without snow. I hate mild/warm and light rain/drizzle weather types. I hate Maritime Tropical and Continental Tropical airmasses.

I love cool/cold Atlantic weather types. I love "cool/cold sunshine and cool/cold gentle showers" weather types. I love cool/cold/frosty sunny weather types. I love snowy/sleety/blizzards weather types. I love cool/cold and stormy/thundery weather types. I love cool/cold and cloudy and cool/cold foggy weather types. I love cool/cold and light rain/drizzle weather types. I love Maritime Polar and Continental Polar and Arctic airmasses.

Edited by Goodbye Cold Weather! :(
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Likes : At this time of year I haven't got weather type I can say I really like, but I like the fact the colder evenings mean cosy cuddles <3

Dislikes : hate gales especially when it's that icy cut though you wind that you have to stand in, unless it's snowing. I Dislike the fact  that the chance of seeing a few flakes this side of Christmas is below 0% most of the time. In fact it's 0% most of the winter. Tbh, although i love watching snow fall, I also hate it when it melts and the roads become a dirty, salty mess that mess up my boots. Then it freezes and becomes a death trap. 

Horrible.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I agree with a number of people.

At this time of year i love frosty nights and clear cold crisp sunny days.

I hate the current weather ,mild and often dull.

Seems many novembers are ending up like this rubbish nowadays. Quite depressing to say the least.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

For autumn I do actually enjoy the blustery, rainy days. That's what autumn is all about. But I also enjoy those last days of warmth, where the sun still heats your face and makes the colours of autumn pop.

I hate the grey, nothingness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Strictly seasonal

My ideal Autumn would start with a fortnight of very warm, settled weather but this pattern would change towards the equinox to more changeable and cooler conditions with spells of heavy rain and strong winds (not severe gales though) interspersed with crisp bright and clear autumn days. October would start reasonably quiet and settled but with cooler nights threatening the first frosts. As we get to the last third of the month and into November, with the trees devoid of leaf, some exceptionally wet and windy spells with rivers in full spate, would be my favourite weather.

Into late November, I would look forward to a vicious low to slip down the North Sea during a period f high Spring tides creating a storm surge on the east coast(suitable warning and protection measures having been issued) followed by an artic outbreak with hard frosts and heavy snow showers in the usual places prone to northerly showery activity. A return to wet, stormy conditions for the end of November/ early December with a significant wind event, would be my fantasy scenario. From mid-December to late January, a Siberian air mass would frequently mix with southern displaced deep Atlantic lows would bring frequent heavy blizzards and continuous sub- freezing temperatures. As we move to February, the weather would become milder and more temperate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Likes: All year round, I favour sunshine mixed with convective precipitation, with dry sunny weather a firm second-favourite, and episodic, varied months and seasons.  Specific to autumn: warm sunny reminders of summer with early morning mist and fog patches, bright frosty spells, blustery showery squally Atlantic-driven spells, and cold blasts from NW, N and/or NE bringing lots of, ahem, thundery wintry showers, helped by the contrast with the warm surrounding seas.

Dislikes:  Anything that is persistently cloudy.  Temperature homogeneity.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I have a gut feeling that we might get a 2010-style autumn this year, which I certainly wouldn't mind at all. A warm and settled September, followed by a cool, foggy and frosty October and a cold, snowy November all in one is the perfect mix for a wonderful autumn.

This. ;-)

I just like seasonal weather: hot in summer, cold in winter. And fog, I love fog, but I seem to be in a small minority.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I like early Autumn to be High pressure dominated with warm sunny days and cool nights, gradually become more foggy.

By mid Autumn its good to have a frost or two under the belt and I don't mind a period of sustained rain but absolutely dislike windstorms, nothing but a pain in the posterior.

As we enter late Autumn I like Foggy and frosty weather as a pre runner to cooling the ground for winter. Rarely we get snow this far south, but on occasion we get an Arctic blast which can deliver a couple of inches of fun.

I am fine most types of weather through Autumn with the exception, only, really of wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Likes: During the colder months, cold and snowy weather. Also don't mind a few less cold intervals to prevent the chilly spells from being too draining. Particularly like cold, unstable, wintry shower setups from the North-East or North-West. Though can tend to be marginal at times here in the South during showery North-Weaterly setups. In the warmer months, such as Summer, prefer warm weather with periods of sunshine and any rain coming in the form of thunderstorms or showers. Don't mind the odd thunderless cold front. It's quite fun seeing the stormy clouds bubble up with that sense of excitement as you hear and see the thunder and lightning coming (even if it might still frighten me slightly).

Neutral: Mild weather in Winter. In fact, can quite like it as longs as it's accompanied by sunny or bright weather.

Dislikes: Like a fair few others, despise cloudy and drizzly weather - just seems boring, personally. Not much to it, but if cloudy weather is accompanied by warm conditions, then don't mind it quite as much. Can still be pleasant enough to go out for walks or something. Also frontal rain bands where the clouds are too lazy to produce a heavy spell of rain. Don't mind the odd Atlantic storm, but only if it's accompanied by heavy rain.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I like the extremes what ever the weather, But the extremes during the Winter Months seem to tickle my cockles. Stormy Polar N/Wlys being my favourite as always seems to deliver the goods here at my location. Any Northerly flow West to East im happy with realy.. Im not to fussy.

Im just glad we have seen the back of gloomy stagnant type pattern we have endured over the past few weeks.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Likes this time of year are pretty much the same as some others. Variability is good with crisp sunny days, frosts, morning fog, windy squally shower days, and a few storms with heavy rain and strong winds thrown in. 

November 2010 is probably my favourite November, My mildest November temp recorded of 18.3c on the 4th and 5th, a few windy events and 42.2mm of rain on the 17th, then an ice day (max -0.2c) on the 28th.

Dislikes: Well, much of this Autumn really. Cool September, relatively boring October, then a very dull mild November so far with a persistent Euro high but most interest from the Atlantic passing further north. 

Indeed that is one of my most disliked setups at most times of year, along with anticyclonic gloom.

Posted
Don't like much at all about this time of year but November 2008 would be as good as it gets. Westerly dominated weather with plenty sunshine, variable temperatures, a good northerly bringing a decent early snowfall and some high pressure delivering frost. November 2012 and 2013 were also decent with plenty of crisp bright weather.

The absolute worst is what we are enduring now as well as last November and 2011. Awful, good for nothing, depressing filth with S/SE winds bringing day after day of gloom, drizzle, static temperatures, ridiculously mild minima and a lack of anything that any normal person would consider desirable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Dislike - Stormy mild weather and very dull dank cloudy days.

Like - Clear crisp frosty days with a sprinkling of Snow, love a good Snowfall but not keen when its melting and roads and pavements turn into a slushy mess.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I like my weather how I like my music; brutal, challenging and uncompromising.

Anything which warrants an amber or red warning from the Met' Office is fine by me at any time of year.

Having kept detailed  weather records for over 50 years I appreciate that all weather contributes to the climate as a whole but my own particular dislikes include anything which prompts weather presenters to use adjectives such as 'usable' or 'nice'.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Likes : hot summer spells with humidity gradually increasing by the day culminating in spectacular thunderstorms. Snow which lasts for more than a week and is topped up from time to time. Thundersnow is my idea of utopia...never witnessed it in the flesh but who knows one day....

Dislikes : Constant mild wet and windy weather that goes on and on (winter 2013/14 being a classic example) incredibly depressing kind of weather. Also dislike cold and windy days in summer when the temperature barely reaches the mid teens but the nagging wind makes it feel colder.

Also not a fan of the feeble PM air masses that were all too prevalent last winter which meant it was cold but not cold enough for the frequent heavy showers coming through on NW winds to be anything other than cold rain.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

My preferences are very specific dependent on the time of the year and partly what I'm doing with it, and yes my preferences are probably a bit for destructive/challenging weather but I prefer that to stale turgid weather like we've had at some points this year.

I'll start from January.

​​

January should be bloody cold and very snowy - if there's no snow it should be cold enough to maintain any lying snow from December. Ideally it should be between -10C and 0C at the night and -7C and 3C during the day. Bonus for outbreaks of blizzard conditions that drop more than 10cm of snow in one helping to add to the huge accumulations from the latter end of the year.

February should warm up a little bit but still bring outbreaks of snow/sleet up until the end of the month - occasional hail/freezing rain is acceptable. The temperature should be between -5C and 4C at night and -3C and 8C during the day. If it's snowing it should be clear - sunny, frosty and crisp.

​March should provide reasonably cold weather up until around the twentieth, outbreaks of sleet/freezing rain and snow should be plentiful and there should be at least one blizzard - temperatures for the first half of the month should be around -3C to 7C at night and 0C and 8C during the day, ideally some crisp sunny days mixed with cloudy days. After around the twe​​​​​​​​ntieth it should really get milder with night time temps around 2C - 8C ad day times temps around 6C to 12C. Ideally these last few weeks should bring a proper storm with winds in excess of 80mph and at least surface flooding.

April should again be a bit of a month of two halves. The first half should continue the stormy them at the end of March, with heavy rain and high winds. The temperature should be around 6C to 7C at night and 10C to 16C during the day for this period, with intense cloudy skies. After about the middle of April the warmer weather should kick in, day-time temperatures up to 21C - though averaging around 17C are welcome provided that night-time temperatures do not exceed 8C (preferably much lower) and it's clear and sunny during this period of warmer weather - no mugginess.​

May should be a nice, humid and relatively mild month with temperatures between 17C and 21C by day and 13C and 15C by night, thunderstorms highly welcome and preferably two or three outbreaks of torrential persistent (at least 24 hours) rain.

June and July ​should be when the real warmth kicks in with temperatures between 20C and 30C (June) or 25C and 35C (July) by day and during humid periods 17C and 19C at night, during clear periods 5C to 9C at night, it should be mainly bright and clear and sunny and there should be the minimum outbreaks of rain required to keep plants growing etc - this should be provided with the odd thunderstorm in tow.​ Torrential rain welcome towards the end of July.

August should mark the return to slightly cooler whether, it should be extremely wet - at least 19 rain days - with temperatures of 15C to 19C welcome and the odd day of 20C or above permitted. Should alternate between showery days and gale force storms and low pressures. The night time temperatures shouldn't dip below 8C.

September should mark the beginning of winter with a widespread frost by the 15th. Night-time temperatures should be 2C to 7C with day time temperatures not exceeding 10C. There should be proper storms, ideally ex-hurricanes, at least three times. There should be at least one wintry mix by the end of the month and preferably a dusting.

October should mark winter proper beginning. The leaves should be completely gone from trees now and it should be howling a gale and at least blowing sleet by the end of the month. When cold rain, sleet or snow is not falling it should be clear with hard ground frosts. If this early winter can't materialise then ex-hurricanes are welcome. Temperatures ideally around -5C to 4C by night and -2C to 6C by day.

November should bring us back to winter proper with lying snow in the 10cm-20cm depth range by the end of the month and solidified by continued cold weather with day time temps -2C to 4C and night time temps -8C to -2C. There should be a few blizzards and there should be some travel disruption in the south east because no matter how many times it snows they're still not prepared. At least one village in North Yorkshire/Northumberland should be cut off by a 12ft drift and the Scottish mountain rescue should tell anyone who walks up Ben Nevis there a dipsuper duper. Finally there should be black ice on an already gritted path by the end of the month.

December - thing should get proper now. By Christmas eve their should be 80cm + of lying snow and preferably more. The temperature should not exceed -3C during the day, with night time temperatures falling to at least -15C one night at the end of the month. By new years eve there should be 120cm of lying snow. There should be high winds causing enormous drifts across motorways and there should be hard frosts on top of the snow. Public transport should run as normal as this should be normal.

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1

Posted

Not a fan of dank mild drizzly southerly and southwesterly airstreams at this time of year - unfortunately we have seen far too much of these conditions in the past couple of weeks. It tends to result in a very dull period of weather -miserable...

Like frost and sunshine. Snow is always a bonus in November, but do expect at least one decent cover on the fells by now.

• Like 1

Posted

Not a fan of dank mild drizzly southerly and southwesterly airstreams at this time of year - unfortunately we have seen far too much of these conditions in the past couple of weeks. It tends to result in a very dull period of weather -miserable...

Like frost and sunshine. Snow is always a bonus in November, but do expect at least one decent cover on the fells by now.

Seems to be finally shifting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

At this time of the year I like a bit of variety. Sunny, crisp, cold days (haven't had any this season yet), rainy blustery days (plenty of those), dense fog that lasts a few days and nights, frosty mornings, lots of sunshine and not too much gloom/cloud. Definitely no snow - far too early here in the SE. I enjoy seeing snow fall and settle but slush is just awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

During Oct and November I pine for a return of spring.  I cheer up during December because of the festivities. January is the worst month of the year, apart from if we have a cold / snowy one like Jan 2010/2013.  By the middle of Feb, I'm ready for some warmth.

The problem /great thing about  living in the UK, is it is rarely too extreme.  OK, we have had our fair share of storms lately, but it's rarely super hot or super cold.  That's great for our productivity, but tedious for extreme weather fans. 

I'm always envious of my brother who lives in the American Midwest.  There he regularly gets temperature in the 20s C in Oct and can easily swing to snow a few weeks later if the patterns change.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Don't like humidity which tends to kick in come June, in London, last summer there were 2 months of pretty relentless high humidity, the temperature at midnight in July was 24.9c with high humidity levels.:bad:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Likes: Heat, sunshine, any rain overnight especially thunderstorms to enjoy curled up in bed.

Dislikes: Cold, cloudy with cold NW winds from PM air masses, just as we've had this spring, and during the past three summers.

• Like 1