Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What are your weather likes and dislikes at this time of year?

Paul

Posted

Following on from posts elsewhere where's there's been a lot of discussion about weather likes and dislikes, we thought it would be a good idea for the subject to have it's own thread..

For me, I like it when Autumn does what it says on the tin - which in my opinion is giving us a mix of just about everything, wind/rain, sunny warm days, sunny crisp days, fog and so on. When it gets stuck in a (dull) rut, that's when the tedium sets in!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Tedium comes to mind for me at the moment. Day after day of mildness and constant sunshine with not a snowflake in sight. Mind you its a lot better than stuck under 5 days of constant cloud, drizzle, light rain , gloom and slug conditions of 13c as affecting parts of Southern England. Soon as Euro Trash high gets blown away the better for all at this time of year.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Day after day of no sun is SAD making.

Beautiful frost to wake up to makes the lack of snow bearable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Likes,

Atlantic storms or cold & frosty with sunshine. 

Dislikes,

Days of endless of grey skies, drizzle, thick fog. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Drizzly mild weather is the worst for me. I enjoy weather that's interesting, so if it is going to be mild, I'd like it to be breaking records, if it's going to rain then I'd like it to be heavy, if there is going to be wind I'd like it to be stormy.

Other than that, most kinds of cold weather are good. Even though there can be frustration with cold rain/sleet, at least it produces mountain snow which is good for hiking in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Drizzly mild weather is the worst for me. I enjoy weather that's interesting, so if it is going to be mild, I'd like it to be breaking records, if it's going to rain then I'd like it to be heavy, if there is going to be wind I'd like it to be stormy.

Other than that, most kinds of cold weather are good. Even though there can be frustration with cold rain/sleet, at least it produces mountain snow which is good for hiking in.

Fully agree with this, I can put with all types of weather providing it's reasonably extreme and interesting and occurring in the correct seasons.

However I hate the usual UK default pattern of endless bouts of mediocrity which is why I get so irritated by words such as mild, chilly, drizzle, mist, etc.

Even if we could occasionally swap them for hot, bitter, torrential, blizzards, stormy I'd be happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Cold is my preference or at least cool, dry or wet, I don't mind really. I don't like mild or warm at all. Oh, and lots of snow and ice given half a chance :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Dislikes:  Anticyclonic gloom in autumn and winter; excessive heat (more than three days consecutively above 30C or any single day above 33C) and humid nights in summer.

Likes:  Variable, interesting weather that doesn't stay the same for too long; warm summer weather (mid-20s Celcius); occasional Atlantic gales and rain in autumn without being destructive; clear, crisp winter conditions with a few spells of snow.  In short, nearly everything in moderation.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Lovely day out today now that the rains stopped. Very mild and gusty is so invigorating at this time of year.

Posted

I don't have any dislikes at this time of year (well did last few weeks with the dry weather) but now it's back to normal i.e. rain. That's what autumn should be (and the darkening days are a bonus)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Dislikes:  3c and rain with a overnight forecast of 2c with  rain/sleet and snow in the heavier downpours , which leads to 3 hrs of lamp post watching , could lead to snow right ? and wake up and its all green but 50 miles north you have 4 inches of snow and 'glad you got some' is the theme for the Winter   :cc_confused:

Likes : 10ft of snow on the A34 but roads kept clear so I can get to work , supporting picture attached

post-7914-0-95480700-1446899772_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

'this time of year' as it's still autumn, at low level south

Likes, mildish, DRY obviously, of course preferably sunny

Dislikes, rain, gales, especially Polar Maritime air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I like the current mildness, as it offsets the wind and rain. I dislike cold and windy weather, especially when there's sleet around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Funnily enough, I don't mind normal November weather in November as it is seasonal - that's the most important thing for me, that the weather is seasonal. The shoulder seasons should be varied  with progressive warming through spring and cooling in autumn, summer should be warm/hot and winter should be cold. 

For first half of autumn:

Likes: late warmth and emphasis on sunshine, at least one plume in September, thundery spells at times to make use of the SSTs at their highest, cooler & fresh mornings into October

Dislikes: prolonged spells of wind and rain, anything from the northerly half of the wind direction spectrum, summer synoptics that didn't happen in the preceding summer

For second half of autumn:

Likes: Atlantic storms, first frosts, cold frosty and foggy/crystal clear anticyclonic spell, first flakes of snow in late November

Dislikes: the weather we have now and is milder than the first half of autumn, lengthy spells of pointless dry mild cloudy weather

Winter:

As much Atlantic storminess out the way in the first half of December with the best wintry synoptics reserved for December 20th - February 10th. No lingering winter into March/April (though frosty mornings followed by mild, sunny afternoons are acceptable). Sunshine and showers in spring please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

My delights, Cold & Snow and lots of it :D

Dislikes, Grey slate skies that go on day after day :closedeyes:

Looking forward to winter starting..........Hopefully it's eventful :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'd prefer our normal February weather in November. Then in December-Feb I'd prefer Stockholm. Winter can linger into early March but I'd prefer the snow to melt by the 15th at least.

Then for April-October I like our climate, but more thunderstorms and a bit sunnier.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Nothing better to come home to 35 pages of new model discussion as it goes into melt down as epic cold spell is picked up

You start at the beginning and tell 'her in doors' to make her own tea 

Best indicator for me re cold spells is number of SM postings, so i love the 'potential'

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I like the current mildness, as it offsets the wind and rain. I dislike cold and windy weather, especially when there's sleet around.

The sun came out here which mean the Afternoon was mild, breezy and sunny. I was strolling round town in my tshirt just like Summer.

Posted

Winter of course

Favourite, cold, loads of snow, then rime/frost, high pressure -15 mins, ice days, then more snow! (fantasy)

least favourite, average gales and rain, especially associated with PM air, then frontal rain, then cheshire gap rain at 4°C (realistic)

sort of in the middle, dry and mild, bartlett Feb '98 setup, I wouldn't say no to

GFS 12Z the chart showing for Sunday 15th Nov, I certainly don't mind, even like, especially as it's still autumn

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'm loving this November! Record high temperatures here in France. I'm a warm weather bunny, so when I can get out in some warmth, even in November, I love it. I hate greyness, SAD weather. Although I love the warmth, snow is good too. Not transient, slushy nuisance value stuff, but proper deep snow that you can walk in without getting wet feet! Hard frost is beautiful also, and rime. I like extremes - we had the supercell in July which was scary but awe inspiring, and the winds and rains of 2013 were incredible. Nature's just incredible...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The good and bad side of Autumn this week - beautiful day of fog on Monday, quite magical. Today, I had to take my coat off when walking around town because I was too warm and sweaty, yuck.....

For the upcoming winter, would love it to be cold, cold, cold, as long as it's sunny high pressure or with falling snow. Hate cold rain and regulation windy days but big storms are a decent alternative to that.

Posted

NOT the current weather we are experiencing, it really is awful!!  Crisp sunny days and cold frosty nights is what I would like at this time of the year.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted

At anytime of year it has to be the current synoptics we have in at present - a euro high and long fetch moisture laden southwesterlies = absolute yuck in this neck of the woods. Grey rain leaden skies, with bouts of heavy rain interspersed with downpours or just general drizzle making for a thoroughly miserable dank atmosphere with little light and brightness and a gloom pervading things with the hills shrouded in cloud. I really despise southwesterly airstreams - they are good for keeping heating bills down but in my book that's all. For 5 days now not a chink of brightness , its spells like these when you long for sunny climes.

Glad I got that off my chest... bring on the polar airstreams please!

Posted

At anytime of year it has to be the current synoptics we have in at present - a euro high and long fetch moisture laden southwesterlies = absolute yuck in this neck of the woods. Grey rain leaden skies, with bouts of heavy rain interspersed with downpours or just general drizzle making for a thoroughly miserable dank atmosphere with little light and brightness and a gloom pervading things with the hills shrouded in cloud. I really despise southwesterly airstreams - they are good for keeping heating bills down but in my book that's all. For 5 days now not a chink of brightness , its spells like these when you long for sunny climes.

Glad I got that off my chest... bring on the polar airstreams please!

PM air is my least favourite airstream at all times of the year, absolutely useless at low levels in the south