Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikecollie

Satire or sacrilege?

Charlie Hebdo here in France have lost no time in satirising (in my opinion) recent events.

Their cartoonists were murdered earlier in the year for similar satire. What do we think?

post-21857-0-86022200-1446844483.jpg

We have found a bit of a pilot and a flight attendant

post-21857-0-77187000-1446844678_thumb.j

Russian airforce intensifies its bombardment

Charlie Hebdo here in France have lost no time in satirising (in my opinion) recent events.

Their cartoonists were murdered earlier in the year for similar satire. What do we think?

attachicon.gifhebdo 1.jpg

attachicon.gifhebdo 2.jpg

unfortunately people are to easily offended , with horrific consequences ..

attachicon.gifhebdo 1.jpg

attachicon.gifhebdo 2.jpg

Nobody should be murdered for satire??

Nothing is too sacred for free speech.

Exactly! And humour helps us alleviate our emotions...

Agreed that nobody should be murdered for free speech but I find the cartoons above to be insensitive and offensive.

Nobody should be murdered for satire??

No they shouldn't   but it would seem obvious that the mocking of one prophet namely Jesus is tolerated, and yet any  mocking of an Islamic prophet is most definitely not!  tolerant religions      ............................  hmmmmm...

Agreed that nobody should be murdered for free speech but I find the cartoons above to be insensitive and offensive.

Agreed, and neither of them are particularly well drawn or funny.

No they shouldn't   but it would seem obvious that the mocking of one prophet namely Jesus is tolerated, and yet any  mocking of an Islamic prophet is most definitely not!  tolerant religions      ............................  hmmmmm...

You do realise in Islam, Jesus is an Islamic Prophet?

true afterall Christianity ,Judaism and Islam all share the same ancestry ...

I don't think Christians tolerate mocking Jesus. 

In Islamic thinking mocking of prophets must have some sort of sliding scale, If you mock jesus   that's ok , but if you mock mo  then your  up for having your head lopped off.

They do, of course they don't like it, but they do tolerate it.

Really?  'tolerate' is one thing , blowing people to bits is another.

I think by and large Christianity is much more tolerant of criticism and satire, of course a few hundred years ago things were different. Sadly Islam seems to be moving into the Dark Ages with any criticisms met often with harsh penalties, as we've seen from recent events in Bangladesh with the hacking to death of a secular journalist.

In terms of Charlie Hebdo they're critical of all religions and often seen by some as being insensitive however if people look beyond the satire they often make very good observations.

They do, of course they don't like it, but they do tolerate it.

Go to the deep south in the US and see if they tolerate you mocking Jesus!

So long as you can withstand the bites of fifty diamond backs, y'all ought to be okay? Yee Haw!! :D

So long as you can withstand the bites of fifty diamond backs, y'all ought to be okay? Yee Haw!! :D

I recall watching a TopGear episode and they pimped their cars one of them sprayed on homosexual wording and there was nearly murder you do not mess with the words of the Bible down there. Secularism is abhorred.

Generally people in Christian countries don't go round hacking journalists to death for being pro secular.

Christianity has modernised and moved forward allowing criticism, personally I find Islam takes itself too seriously and is reverting to what you would have expected about 300 years ago, the medieval barbarism used to punish those who question is a stain on that religion.

Christians understand now that freedom to not believe or to believe in another religion is part of living in a civilized country, its a shame that attitude isn't shared by many Muslim countries.

Genuine question, what have you seen to back up your implication ?

Go to a secular country and see if people tolerate you mocking Jesus, they will be annoyed but it will end there. Go to a secular country and see if people tolerate you mocking Muhammad. Good luck.

Generally people in Christian countries don't go round hacking journalists to death for being pro secular.

Christianity has modernised and moved forward allowing criticism, personally I find Islam takes itself too seriously and is reverting to what you would have expected about 300 years ago, the medieval barbarism used to punish those who question is a stain on that religion.

Christians understand now that freedom to not believe or to believe in another religion is part of living in a civilized country, its a shame that attitude isn't shared by many Muslim countries.

The 'christian' Britain as we know it [or was once] freely allows other faiths to live and preach here .The problem that Britain faces is one day the Muslim population will outpopulate all other religions here where unfortunately they will not give us that same right !