Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Motorola Nexus 6

Nice phone needed a bigger screen due to dodgy eyes.

First thoughts screen not as good as my LG G3 however it's good enough.

Battery life dismal shockingly poor where the LG G3 could go for three or four days with bluetooth or WiFI on without needing a charge this will run flat within twelve hours.

Keyboard crap installed a third party one.

The lack of external storage is slightly annoying as this makes moving contacts around annoying.

Anyway first day on my old phone backed up contacts and sms to my google account.

Setup the details on the new phone which immediately synced with work account  and downloaded all the contacts I didn't want or need a thousand off.

SMS wouldn't recover from my google account grrrr. Neither would the desired contacts.

Anyway downloaded a contact manager as the inbuilt contacts has no way off selecting every contact and then allowing you to remove the ones you don't want.

Seelcted all contacts and then scrolled through the list and removed the ones I didn't want. Sadly forget to turn synching off so the phone reloaded them all again.

Turned synching off.

Removed duplicates again.

Installed the apps I want.

Plugged the Phone into the pc and copied the sms to the download folder and the backup program imported them happily enough.

Next problem was my walking app viewranger as i couldn't copy the maps across as the folder is hidden.

Had to install a file manager and then use this to copy my maps across from the download folder.

Everything good.

Ahh cold caller super duper no way to decline the call.

No way to block the call.

3rd party app time again.

Why there isn't a call blocker built in by default I don't know.

Next day I'm pretty ill with IBS so off work phone goes I want to update. I thought I'll let it do it and then get some kip.

Upgrade error.

Phone now stuck in a reboot loop.

Tried two factory resets no go

Factory reset and wipe no go.

So off to find the google stock roms and a way to flash the damn thing as I needed the phone to be working due to outside concerns.

Eventually flashed it to Marshmellow from lollipop using stock google roms.

Transfer the old data from my old phone by NFC partially worked but then google synced everything again so back to 1000 plus contacts.

Re-install all the old apps again.

Marshmellow does seem to have better battery life I may manage two days without charging it now.

Now I need a proper back up program for it.

The G3 has a rather large 5.5'' screen, so you have gained just under 0.5 inches with that swap, was it worth it? 

Yes I can read it much easier. The main advantage so far is that it holds the signal much better than my LG3 which if 4g went off which is very often here it wouldn't switch always to G3 losing the link altogether. This phone holds the 4G without issues

I always read reviews before buying a phone and chosen a pure model like a Google Nexus, not one full of a second tier manufacturer's bloatware.  Turned them ON over the years and they've worked perfectly from the get-go   :unknw:  :D

Got to admit this was the only time I ended up with a bricked phone from OTA. Luckily I managed to fix it. Clearly the version of lollipop I had on it had battery issues. 

I always read reviews before buying a phone and chosen a pure model like a Google Nexus, not one full of a second tier manufacturer's bloatware.  Turned them ON over the years and they've worked perfectly from the get-go   :unknw:  :D

Reviews are not always correct. The reviews of the LG G3 slated it's battery life yet it the best battery life of any phone I had. Several colleagues at work had the same phone and all said the battery life was great.

Often you are better looking at what the users say and doing a bit googling first.

Well the latest update didn't brick the phone :)