Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps & Pyrenees Snow Thread 2015/16

J10

Posted

Just wanted to post something in here to mark the passing of Aaron McLean who died in an accident in Avoriaz on Thursday. I only met him a couple of times (last year near Morzine), so couldn't claim to have known him well at all, but  he was a really nice guy, who clearly lived for being out in the mountains. I'm sure a lot of people will miss him, thoughts especially with his family and Amy. 

• Like 7

On 12/03/2016 at 0:30 PM, Paul said:

Just wanted to post something in here to mark the passing of Aaron McLean who died in an accident in Avoriaz on Thursday. I only met him a couple of times (last year near Morzine), so couldn't claim to have known him well at all, but  he was a really nice guy, who clearly lived for being out in the mountains. I'm sure a lot of people will miss him, thoughts especially with his family and Amy. 

This indeed is very sad news.

The latest copy and paste from me in relation to the Ski Club GB update. - Conditions still pretty good despite the drier recent conditions.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/overview/default.aspx#.Vm9A1l4vAsU

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 14 MARCH 2016

INTRODUCTION Great skiing is still on offer across much of the Alps currently, despite a lack of recent snowfall. The off-piste across many regions has become tracked, although the pistes generally remain in excellent condition. South facing slopes are being to soften up in the afternoon, so be sure to stick the runs of the upper mountain to make the most of the current conditions. Unsettled weather during the middle of the week could see the possibility of some light snow flurries, although totals will be very moderate, if any falls at all.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Unsettled weather is expected in the Alps over the course of the week, with the possibility of some light snowfall as a result. Resorts across the southern Alps can expect to the best of this, with totals much more moderate elsewhere. Temperatures will remain low, experiencing a dip to around -7C during the middle of the week. The earliest sign of change looks to be Friday, when the sun could make an appearance ahead of a sunny weekend. It will be a largely cloudy week ahead across much of the Pyrenees, with moderate snowfalls expected during this period. Temperatures will remain just below freezing, which should ensure that the new snow remains in good condition.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

What a fantastic March this has been for snow cover and excellent piste conditions, even down to lower level resorts. The high towards the British Isles maintaining the colder flow into all the Alpine countries. We are confident of a good Easter with booking in resorts higher for this time of season. Katschberg will be open for the two weeks in April and neighbour resort of Obertauren expecting bumper visitors in early April for its Snow Freeze Festival again. Expect ski-ing into early May over there. Maybe could do with a bit more sunshine to warm the bones but not complaining, much better than barren slopes and tropical breezes to prolong the season. Easter making up for a poor Christamas !

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
7 hours ago, carinthian said:

What a fantastic March this has been for snow cover and excellent piste conditions, even down to lower level resorts. The high towards the British Isles maintaining the colder flow into all the Alpine countries. We are confident of a good Easter with booking in resorts higher for this time of season. Katschberg will be open for the two weeks in April and neighbour resort of Obertauren expecting bumper visitors in early April for its Snow Freeze Festival again. Expect ski-ing into early May over there. Maybe could do with a bit more sunshine to warm the bones but not complaining, much better than barren slopes and tropical breezes to prolong the season. Easter making up for a poor Christamas !

C

Great news all round Paul - excellent conditions and no sign of warm weather to spoil things! Indeed, GFS hinting at another cold and snowy blast to end March.

It's good to hear bookings are bouyant for Easter. Christmas/New Year and Easter holidays are very important for resort revenues, so let's hope lots of people take advantage of the conditions and favourable outlook and book a 'last minute' trip. 

Back to the immediate weather and the Arpege model this evening showing it's the turn of the Italian Alps and the Pyrenees for this weeks snow top-up. 

Snowfall accum next 24 hours 56e9a81064fb6_Arpege12zsnowaccumtoThur17

And this afternoon's webcams confirm the snowy weather in the Italian mountains:

Courmayeur 56e9a81c5134a_CourmayeurWed16Mar.thumb.j Sestriere 56e9a8287769c_SestriereWed16Mar.thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

Yep Malcolm. Looks like a bargain for the first week of April if anyone get to the Alps for a late one. Just wonderful spring ski-ing conditions and probably empty slopes once the Easter crowd has gone. I will be in Obertauren for the Freeze Festival, mostly for the drinking ! Easter will be occupied touring the high Gargellen valley in the Montafon, the mighty Madrisa and down towards Klosters on the Swiss side. First skied there ( Gargellen ) in 1979 and met the rogue that was Oliver Reed who was staying in the wonderful Madrisa Hotel, needless to say he drank the bar dry, was good fun and high spirited !

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
On 18/03/2016 at 7:33 PM, J10 said:

Latest Ski Blog now out

Similar to last week, some snow at times, but more sunshine, some soft slopes into the afternoon, but still very good conditions, especially higher up.

The last four days have seen wonderful sunny weather across the Alps. Cloud starting to encrouch now and the Easter Weekend looking as if unsettled weather will move into the Alps, with winds swinging from a cool E or N direction to W or SW. Could be some heavy falls of snow above 1,500m.

A few screen grabs and webcam images to paint the picture. The satellite images show the snow over the Alps and Pyrenees:

Fri 18th  56f0211082a1c_CloudCoverFri18Mar09.15.th Today Mon 21st starting to cloud up 56f0216cb9481_CloudCoverAlpsMon21Mar.thu

And wonderful sunny conditions:

Val D'Isere Sat 19th 56f021b70bae9_ValDIsereSat19Mar.thumb.jp Lauberhorn Sat 19th 56f022109f0d8_LauberhornSat19Mar.thumb.j

Solden Mon 21st 56f0224812628_Solden21Mar.thumb.jpg.c937 Seefeld Mon 21st 56f02285e317d_Seefeld21Mar.thumb.jpg.934

If you heading off to the Alps or Pyrenees this weekend, have a good one!

• Like 3

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/blogs/entry/4927-alps-ski-and-snow-forecast-blog-issued-25-march-2016/

The latest Ski Blog has now been completed for the Easter weekend.

A good Easter seems likely on the slopes, after this fronts pushing in from the west with snow on higher slopes, and at times on lower slopes.

Thereafter a battle between cold to the north and very mild to the south, some indications that the mild will win out, especially for southern parts of the Alps. But a lot of uncertainty.

• Like 2

Looking at the forecast this week, it does appear that spring is around the corner for ski resorts which led me to thinking.

How do resorts plan their closing date.

http://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonend/europe/austria/page/2/

I imagine past snowfalls is a good guide, as this can vary significantly and I would imagine a trade off between potential income/bookings and bad publicity.

Say for instance current conditions and snow forecasts, give a good indication that a resort could have an additional week of serviceable skiing, how easy would it be to extend the ski season, for a week, or would it be impossible logistically.

Edited by J10

Posted
On 25/03/2016 at 5:32 PM, J10 said:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/blogs/entry/4927-alps-ski-and-snow-forecast-blog-issued-25-march-2016/

The latest Ski Blog has now been completed for the Easter weekend.

A good Easter seems likely on the slopes, after this fronts pushing in from the west with snow on higher slopes, and at times on lower slopes.

Thereafter a battle between cold to the north and very mild to the south, some indications that the mild will win out, especially for southern parts of the Alps. But a lot of uncertainty.

As always, thank you Julian. And 24 hours later the models are still suggesting some very mild air arriving in the Alps next Thurs/Fri. Unfortunately with rain and freezing levels at 2,500m or above. Not good.

I was half way through writing this post when your post above arrived. Excellent timing as I was going to mention closing dates. This link details a selection of resorts and clearly shows that lower resorts close first and resorts with glaciers last! http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/europe/projected-closing.html

My understanding is that the closing date is first and foremost driven by the altitude of the resort and its long-term snow snow record - both inextricably linked. As you say, what resort needs the bad publicity of "no snow" at the end of the season (as well as the beginning in recent years!)?

There may also be a bit of flexibility, driven by when the Easter Holiday falls (as ski resorts make most of their profits during the busy holiday periods), so a resort that might have closed a week earlier in another year might plan to stay open that extra week to take advantage.

But after the factors above, a very important issue in setting a closing date (in Europe anyway) is that the people who operate the chairlifts, serve in the bars and restaurants, run the ski schools, run the ski hire/fitting shop, etc., all move on to other activities once the resort closes. So in most cases resorts set a firm 'close by' date so workers in the resort (and their summer employers) can plan. Having said this, the exception to this general rule is the very small and usually low altitude resorts - they have to be flexible to survive. So for instance Feldberg in the Black Forest of Germany, at 1,450m highest station, will open as soon as snow cover allows - October not uncommon - and will not set a firm closing date.

So as an example, I've been skiing in Val Cenis (French Alps) for 18 years and now know many of the people in the occupations I've mentioned above on first name terms. The restaurant and bar owners often have second properties (usually near the coast) and as soon as the season finishes that's where they head off (and who can blame them!). The lift operators and ski instructors often work on the equivalent of the local 'farm' over the summer, so spring brings lots of activity sorting out pastures and animals. In a nutshell, when the resort closes all the workers that have slaved away looking after us for several months either take their holiday or move on to their summer occupation!

Well that's my understanding and experience - but I'd love to hear the thoughts of others.

• Like 2

Posted

Well the forecast doesn't make good reading, with temperatures getting up to +8 in obergurgl on Friday just before our arrival. Hopefully this changes as I imagine it will be a slush-fest, with the freezing level all the way up at 2800m. Always a risk going so late in the season, but I had hoped for better after choosing one of the highest resorts possible. 

Posted

Models still predicting the arrival of warm air over the Alps later this week. If my memory serves me correctly it's the first time since the start of the season that the +10C 850 hPa isotherm has made an appearance.

GFS Thurs 15.00 GFS 850 Thur31Mar 15.00.png

Unfortunately there will be a lot of cloud around and some outbreaks of rain. As a result there won't be a chance for overnight refreezing for possibly several days. This has resulted in a warning being issued in the French media about the increased instability of the snow (off piste):

Given the spring conditions and a southwest wind announced early this week, the conditions for refreezing in the mountains will be limited. So, the next few days, the risk of triggering spontaneous and impromptu avalanches of wet, heavy snow will be present on all the Haute-Savoie mountains, especially on steep terrain and unanchored areas such as the grass slopes and rock slabs. The prefecture therefore calls for vigilance from skiers, hikers or snowshoeing.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2016/03/27/recommandations-importantes-pour-la-pratique-du-ski-de-printemps

Posted
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:25 PM, carinthian said:

Yep Malcolm. Looks like a bargain for the first week of April if anyone get to the Alps for a late one. Just wonderful spring ski-ing conditions and probably empty slopes once the Easter crowd has gone. I will be in Obertauren for the Freeze Festival, mostly for the drinking ! Easter will be occupied touring the high Gargellen valley in the Montafon, the mighty Madrisa and down towards Klosters on the Swiss side. First skied there ( Gargellen ) in 1979 and met the rogue that was Oliver Reed who was staying in the wonderful Madrisa Hotel, needless to say he drank the bar dry, was good fun and high spirited !

C

Morning all , back from a great Easter in the high Silvretta/ Montafon range. Now in Obertauren. Live breakfast TV ( Guten Morgan ) Free scambled eggs and hot coffee on supply from the wonderful Hotel Schneider ( see pictures ) Promotion to start one of the best Freeze Festivals with lots of live music, Djs, weird flying boarding and hard on cross ski-ing. Should make for good fun. Still plenty of snow in the Austrian Alps with some warm sunshine this weekend to enjoys the festivities and scoops of Mauerer Beir.

C

12923155_959051970814830_2986729526821583355_n.jpg

12524227_959051960814831_388068080532430520_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Bought one of these on line. Thought of my little friend John Holmes and Malcolm. Keep going you old fools. Seriously, after a slow start has been a vintage season over many parts. Managed to return to Alpbach after near 40 years. First met my wife there, she taught me to stand up on ski. A few days in Serfaus, a little known resort to the Brits, but a gem.  Gargellen for Easter with touring the old smugglers route in the high Silvetta Mountains. This coming week in Obertauren for the Freeze Festval. We close up on 10th April and then I make my way back to to Skipton for a couple of months. Hope it warms up a bit in Blighty, looks a bit cold and windy on the charts.

C

12800233_1516092382029533_607893847228997538_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, carinthian said:

Bought one of these on line. Thought of my little friend John Holmes and Malcolm. Keep going you old fools. Seriously, after a slow start has been a vintage season over many parts. Managed to return to Alpbach after near 40 years. First met my wife there, she taught me to stand up on ski. A few days in Serfaus, a little known resort to the Brits, but a gem.  Gargellen for Easter with touring the old smugglers route in the high Silvetta Mountains. This coming week in Obertauren for the Freeze Festval. We close up on 10th April and then I make my way back to to Skipton for a couple of months. Hope it warms up a bit in Blighty, looks a bit cold and windy on the charts.

C

Haha!! I resemble that remark Paul!! :laugh: Love the t-shirt - I'll have to get hold of 4 for me and my skiing mates!

Sounds like you're living the dream over there you lucky person. Nice that you managed to return to Alpbach after all these years! And your adventure in the Silvretta/ Montafon range sounds terrific. I've told my mates we're "doing Austria" next year and it would be nice to make it a slightly longer trip that includes looking around some of these lesser known locations.

Enjoy the Freeze Festival - it sounds great fun!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
11 hours ago, carinthian said:

Morning all , back from a great Easter in the high Silvretta/ Montafon range. Now in Obertauren. Live breakfast TV ( Guten Morgan ) Free scambled eggs and hot coffee on supply from the wonderful Hotel Schneider ( see pictures ) Promotion to start one of the best Freeze Festivals with lots of live music, Djs, weird flying boarding and hard on cross ski-ing. Should make for good fun. Still plenty of snow in the Austrian Alps with some warm sunshine this weekend to enjoys the festivities and scoops of Mauerer Beir.

C

12923155_959051970814830_2986729526821583355_n.jpg

12524227_959051960814831_388068080532430520_n.jpg

Evening Corinthian .

im going to Austria this Sunday , mayahofen , I'm going to the snow bombing festival , gonna be an awesome week , great dj's and hopefully great boarding, I'm a little worried as we have a very mild spel heading there way for the weekend so im a little gutted , but hoping there's gonna be enough high up . 

so what's the freeze festival ? Sounds fun. Are you going ?

cheers

shaun

Posted

If you're staying in Courchevel or nearby this week, you might want to watch the mountain equivalent of Wimbledon!! :laugh:

France Championship of the snow tampers
The top of the gondola Verdons welcomes today and tomorrow, the 21st Championship of France of snow groomer drivers.
The challenge "PistenBully" mobilizes fifty teams from all the French mountains.
Flying gear nearly 9 tons and equipped with engines of more than 400 hp, the drivers compete on precision tests, driving, technical and mechanical tests as well as ski races.

Piste Basher Championships.jpg

http://www.ledauphine.com/insolite/2016/03/29/championnat-de-france-des-dameurs

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Evening Corinthian .

im going to Austria this Sunday , mayahofen , I'm going to the snow bombing festival , gonna be an awesome week , great dj's and hopefully great boarding, I'm a little worried as we have a very mild spel heading there way for the weekend so im a little gutted , but hoping there's gonna be enough high up . 

so what's the freeze festival ? Sounds fun. Are you going ?

cheers

shaun

Good Man Shaun, you a snow boarder ?  Yep, looks like sun bathing and drinking in the village. Now they have the new Penkenbahn state of the Art lift working a speedy ascent to the Rastkogel at 2500m should ensure the search for some snow. Is the boarding held in the village or higher up the Zillertal ? The Freeze Festival is still in its infancy but growing, a bit if a excuse for a end of season frolic and party in the sunshine. Not a big as the Mayahofen hell raiser but well supported with hotel rooms sold out. I will be staying for a couple of days to watch the goings on from a rather reserved distance and wishing I was 40 years younger, but all good fun with plenty of apre day and night ! Have a good trip.

C

Posted

Something I've never experienced in my long skiing career, but high winds this afternoon caused the ski lifts to close today in the ski circus of Champéry, Morgins, Torgon in Switzerland, Morzine, Avoriaz and La Chapelle d'Abondance and Abondance. Skiers had to queue for buses back to their resorts. Not a good way to end a day's skiing for these people:

Avoriaz Thur31Mar.jpg

The story in the French press:

Many skiers stranded because of the wind
Around 15 o'clock the chairlift Rochassons was stopped due to a foehn calibrated to 115 km / h. Other facilities followed that connected with Avoriaz.
All skiers met at Pré la Joux, causing a great scramble to get on the substitute bus shuttles. The gendarmes of Chatel and Abondance had to intervene to control the crowd with security barriers. Some impatience led to violent elbowing. The ski lift company with the Chatel bus service organized the return of customer's to their home stations.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2016/03/31/des-skieurs-bloques-a-cause-du-vent

Looking at the model output for this afternoon there does appear to be an area of strong(ish) winds over the French Alps (circled). Although the winds further south - off the Mediterranean coast of France - looked far worse!

ARPEGE France Thur31Mar 15.00.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I know it's down to the translation but I loved the line....

Some impatience led to violent elbowing

Posted
On 3/29/2016 at 7:03 PM, Blessed Weather said:

Haha!! I resemble that remark Paul!! :laugh: Love the t-shirt - I'll have to get hold of 4 for me and my skiing mates!

Sounds like you're living the dream over there you lucky person. Nice that you managed to return to Alpbach after all these years! And your adventure in the Silvretta/ Montafon range sounds terrific. I've told my mates we're "doing Austria" next year and it would be nice to make it a slightly longer trip that includes looking around some of these lesser known locations.

Enjoy the Freeze Festival - it sounds great fun!

'freeze festival' come on lad; well getting old anyway, act your age!

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Miserable Sod !

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Grab yourself one of these John. Its all kicking off right now in the Edelweisshutte, just right up your street.

Apre ski.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
On 29/03/2016 at 0:16 PM, carinthian said:

C

Love the T shirt, who sells them.