Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps & Pyrenees Snow Thread 2015/16

J10

Posted
2 hours ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Hi Blessed Weather

I have taken a look at those suggested destinations. The elevation is great. Only thing is that most are around 230 km's from Geneva airport and I can only find transfers for myself and my daughter for a cost of £400 return!! I cannot find a site that does a shared shuttle?? Is this because of the distance?? Or am I searching wrong?? So frustrating ha!!!

Try these, think they do shared transfers to most places 

http://www.ski-lifts.com/

Re Chamonix, not been there myself but I think it's a better resort for more advanced skiers/snowboarders so depends on your level. Would definitely recommend Val Thorens and the Three Valleys in general. Obergurgl is good too, you can get some decent package deals to there with Crystal Ski - I went there myself in January and would definitely go back. 

Posted

Chamonix is nearly unbeatable.  If the conditions are excellent and you are a competent off piste skier.  Otherwise it's just pretty good.  

The downsides are that it does not consist of linked ski areas like many other resorts and hence you tend to ski a different area each day and queuing for a bus at the beginning and end of the day can be a pain.

That said it is my favourite short break destination and is very quick an easy to get to from Geneva airport.  I'd recommend hiring a car....and if you do so make sure you hire one from the Swiss side of the airport.  This way you automatically get a car with winter tyres and snow chains.....rather than having to pay extra for chains and risk summer tyres if you use a company on the French side.  The Swiss Motorway vignette (Toll sticker) is also included on Swiss cars and this enables the quick easy route to and from the airport. 

You regularly need winter tyres, even in March, on the road up to Argentiere.  

We usually fly Easyjet and stay at Gite Le Belvedere in Argentiere 

Last year when we were there, a lot of new snow was forecast one night, but it didn't arrive.  However we heard at breakfast it had dumped it down in Courmayeur......so we jumped in the car and 40 minutes later we had the most amazing skiing in Italy!  

Edited by ncjones
  • Like 1

Posted

Well I am now completely stuck!!

Found flights to Geneva for the 4 days.....no problem there!

All the resorts around 1800m plus are 200 km or so away from Geneva...cannot for the life of me find any transfer apart from private taxi which costs in the region of £450!!

That's more than the flights! So looking closer to Geneva I thought Avoriaz as that is around 1800 metres...airport transfer no problem! Around £60 return!! Bargain

But now I cannot find any accommodation under £1000 for 4 nights....any one have any other ideas? I am looking to go Monday 21st March and return 25TH March.

Apologies for cloging up the thread with this by the way!!

Thanks

WW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

You might be having problems as its Easter week so it might be holiday time out there which is why you cant book much and all is so expensive.
Have you tried  Verbier expensive but you never know. You can fly into Sion for there.

Also seeing as everyone is saying thats its a back loaded winter you could well be ok in a lower resort.

Posted
49 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

All the resorts around 1800m plus are 200 km or so away from Geneva...cannot for the life of me find any transfer apart from private taxi which costs in the region of £450!!

That's more than the flights! So looking closer to Geneva I thought Avoriaz as that is around 1800 metres...airport transfer no problem! Around £60 return!! Bargain

But now I cannot find any accommodation under £1000 for 4 nights....any one have any other ideas? I am looking to go Monday 21st March and return 25TH March.

Thanks

WW

Have a look in Morzine, it's easy to get over to Avoriaz from there. 

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Also seeing as everyone is saying thats its a back loaded winter you could well be ok in a lower resort.

This.  Most ski resorts stats show better conditions at Easter than Christmas, yet people are generally more concerned about going late than early.  I'm going to a lowish small resort at Easter (Aussois).

If you travel independently worst case you may have to drive to a nearby higher resort (in my case Val Thorens).  

Posted
1 hour ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Thanks

WW

have you had a look at the trains from Geneva airport for resorts in Switzerland?

Posted

Hi I haven't john. I shall take a look.

looked at hiring a car but that is coming in at £400 for 4 days. So the resorts over 100km from Geneva in to France seem to be out of the question. Perhaps staying in Switzerland and looking for a resort there is a good idea! Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
8 hours ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Hi Blessed Weather

I have taken a look at those suggested destinations. The elevation is great. Only thing is that most are around 230 km's from Geneva airport and I can only find transfers for myself and my daughter for a cost of £400 return!! I cannot find a site that does a shared shuttle?? Is this because of the distance?? Or am I searching wrong?? So frustrating ha!!!

Some great advice & suggestions above for you WW!! I normally drive to the Alps as I hate the overall experience of flying and airport-to-resort transfers. But if you're flying into Geneva I agree the resorts I suggested are too far away and too expensive to get to. (Chambery airport is best for them).

Chamonix remains an option though, with transfers from Geneva available for under 30 Euros (from a quick search) and a short journey time. Whilst Chamonix town is only 1,035m (so maybe not much snow in the resort by late March), the skiing is available up to 3,840m, so pretty much guaranteed there will be good skiing on higher slopes - BUT - you would have noted the great advice from ncjones and Paul about the skiing there! (Also some great insights on the Ski Club of GB website 'user reviews').

BTW, I'm sure nobody feels you are "clogging up the thread". From the number of posts trying to help, you appear to have livened it up! :)

Posted

Aww thanks for that blessed !!

hmmm driving! Now that good be a good idea!! How long would a journey to say val disere take by car once arrived in Calais?? 

Posted
11 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

hmmm driving! Now that good be a good idea!! How long would a journey to say val disere take by car once arrived in Calais?? 

10 hours is good rule of thumb.  That's assuming travelling at the French limit and only relatively quick comfort breaks.  The snowheads forums are a really useful resource.  

I'm driving out at Easter. Will leave Devon as soon as school finishes on Maundy Thursday. Eurotunnel that night and overnight stop near Calais.  Then straight down to the Alps ready for skiing Saturday morning. 

Posted
38 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

As ncjones says, it's a good 10 hours drive from Calais to most French resorts, so I wouldn't try it without 2 drivers sharing the burden. I ski with 3 friends so we share petrol/tolls/channel crossing costs, making it a cheap(er) option per head. If you're picking up all those costs yourself it's maybe not so cheap? We go Eurotunnel and stop at an IBIS hotel enroute that has a Buffalo Grill restaurant next door - it makes it part of the holiday! But it's grit our teeths going home and we do it in one hit.

Posted

Decisions decisions then!! Well thanks for all your suggestions!! I'll keep on the search and hopefully come up with something!! 

Posted
21 hours ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Decisions decisions then!! Well thanks for all your suggestions!! I'll keep on the search and hopefully come up with something!! 

Hi WW,

Been reading the thread and thought this might help. A mate has rented this apartment for a few weeks snowboarding in Avoiraz, I should be heading out a week Saturday for a fortnight...fingers crossed!

http://www.lesvoroches.com/visite-visit/studio-gentiane-1/

Cost for week 1 commencing 27-02-16 worked out at £200, the second and third weeks came in at £150 each - they may have vacancies for your specified week.

If you're thinking Switzerland and Verbier etc, try this company

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/christiania-1-a5.en-gb.html?aid=356983;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-ch-christianiaN1Na5-unspec-gb-com-L%3Aen-O%3AosSx-B%3Asafari-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX;sid=b9633369c6730180db399e04286ca7b5;dcid=12;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&

Stayed there in January this year and the apartments are huge in comparison to the usual French fare and are a minutes walk to the gondola station that takes you up to Nenadaz 2200 mts asl.

Take the train to Sion from Geneva train station (Internal to the airport), once you reach Sion,  catch the bus which is 30 seconds from the train station. Bus ride takes 45 minutes to reach Haute (High) Nendaz - 1400 mts asl. The total cost of the transfer, train + bus  including return was around 130 CHF - £94. Purchase the return ticket at Geneva airport railway station.

If you need any further information, just ask - always happy to help a fellow winter sports enthusiast ;-)

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks for all the help and information guys!

The shuttle links are excellent and reasonably priced to the likes of Avoriaz, Morzine and Chamonix.

But I do not know how people manage to travel to the likes of Val Thorens or Val d isere?? Cannot find any airport transfers for 2 people under £500 return!!

At the minute Chamonix is looking favourite due to finding lower priced accommodation....just hope the a cold back loaded Winter is on the cards as elevation isn't the greatest. So was just about to book....and then I found return flights to Innsbruck, Austria for £110 each!!! So exploring the possibility of Austria now hahaha!!!

Thanks again and I am sure all the links and info will help many other readers as well as myself!

edit.....£70 each now to Innsbruck Austria!! Right guys this looks the best option as I'm going late!! Some good Austrian resorts not too far from Innsbruck...anyone know any good ones? I've done mayerhofen which was amazing!! But I like trying new places 

WW

Edited by WINTRY WALES
  • Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, J10 said:

Latest Ski Blog just uploaded - a very mixed week in prospect (as ever)

Thanks Julian. Good to see another snowy week coming up. At least the 'snow drought' of early season is now a distant memory!

There could be significant accumulations for some resorts/pistes above approx. 1,500m. For a change this season it's the southern Alps and Pyrenees that look likely to see the most over the next few days, particularly the Italian and southern French resorts. The Arpege charts for snow accumulation from now through to midnight today, midnight tomorrow and midnight Monday tell the story:

56d17db70bca7_ArpegeSnowAccumtomid-night56d17dc8ce311_ArpegeSnowAccumtomid-night56d17dd7468f3_ArpegeSnowAccumtomid-night

There was talk in posts above about this being a "back-ended winter". I agree with that and it's good to see the 8-10 day 500mb heights anomaly chart for 6th to 8th March suggesting the 'Spring skiing season' will continue on a snowy theme with a trough over Europe. If you could just arrange for the freezing level to drop down a bit please.... :)

56d17e1fd0f2e_GFS_ECM500HeightAnom06to08

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Indeed. At first it seemed that the Eastern Julian Alps were going to get the heaviest falls but today its the Western Alps. The Italian weather sites are going for 1m of fresh snow in many resorts above about 800/1000m and up to 2m on the higher slopes, there will be snow at lower levels too, particularly in the NW around Piedmont.

42679_1_1.jpg

42684_1_1-1.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Thanks Malcolm for the kind words.

As you say, there is a lot of precipitation expected over Italy over the weekend, with a risk of flooding at lower levels.

Rhgfs7214.thumb.gif.8dad077ba741ede9df36

There is over 4 inches of rain possible over Northern Italy over the next 72 hours, with large snowfall totals over the higher resorts.

Edit - snowray has made the same point and better too.

I wish I could control freezing levels, I'd make it that I would see lying snow after missing out (largely) for the past 3 years.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

A question to get people thinking. When is the peak of the skiing season in terms of best conditions. I know it would vary year on year and at resort and height level,

I might suggest Mid February, there is a decent snow base, and the temperatures are still pretty cold generally. It also seems that December skiing is not as good as it used to be.

Feel free to disagree and discuss for different parts of the Alps or your local area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

There is a severe drought in Northern Italy, the Euro slug has given them a mild and settled winter over all. Funny how they are saying that within the next 72hrs the drought issue will probably be resolved and it will be flooding that could be the main problem.

The Alpine resorts will have excellent Spring snow conditions now going forward with probably more snow to come, no sign of things warming as we go into March. The chart above in Interesting since it shows clearly how the higher mountains block the Northern extent of the heavier snowfall in these type of set ups, and vice versa when the Northern Alps are getting the snow it can be mainly dry on the Italian side apart from the SouthTyrol which is the most Northern Italian region.

Edited by snowray

Posted
8 hours ago, J10 said:

A question to get people thinking. When is the peak of the skiing season in terms of best conditions. I know it would vary year on year and at resort and height level,

I might suggest Mid February, there is a decent snow base, and the temperatures are still pretty cold generally. It also seems that December skiing is not as good as it used to be.

Feel free to disagree and discuss for different parts of the Alps or your local area.

That's a very interesting question Julian and I’ve enjoyed having an initial dig into finding out.

Igluski.com provide snow depth history for most resorts going back 4 seasons, so I looked at the graphs for a few resorts and the early findings are fascinating. I’d like to stress there's no statistical validity to my findings, but from this quick and cursory look, here’s my initial take on things:

• December looks the most unreliable month of the season to find snow depth. April often better!!
  • There’s a hint that maximum snow depth might be reached in Feb for resorts in the northern Alps, but maybe for the western/southern Alps and the Pyrenees in particular, March could see the higher snow depths?
  • This one’s a puzzle – it appears that snow depths have been falling in most months in each of the last four seasons!

Les Deux Alpes (FR) 56d206337963f_LesDeuxAlpesSnowHistory.th Wengen (CH) 56d206478fde3_WengenSnowHistory.thumb.jp

Kitzbuhel  (AT) 56d2065d5e4fe_KitzbuhelSnowHistory.thumb Pas de la Casa (AD Pyrenees) 56d2066ded2c3_PasdelaCasaSnowHistory.thu

Maybe when I have a bit more time I’ll dig deeper and pull together an ‘Alps wide’ picture that includes the results from more resorts.

But as a closing comment, the charts & my comments above are based on when snow depths peak. This is not necessarily when the ‘best’ skiing is available. March and April can be icy in the mornings and slushy in the afternoons – not everyone’s cup of tea! On the other hand, who can knock being able to sit outside the mountain restaurants, taking in the late skiing season sun and wonderful views as you enjoy lunch and a beer?

Igluski.com snow history graphs can be plotted here: http://www.igluski.com/snow-history

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, snowray said:

Indeed. At first it seemed that the Eastern Julian Alps were going to get the heaviest falls but today its the Western Alps. The Italian weather sites are going for 1m of fresh snow in many resorts above about 800/1000m and up to 2m on the higher slopes, there will be snow at lower levels too, particularly in the NW around Piedmont.

Certainly looking like it's pounding down in that part of the world! This is the webcam shot tonight looking at the Gorba chairlift in Limone, Piemonte! They'll need to dig it out in the morning..... :laugh:

56d21274cc22f_LimonePiemontewebcam.thumb

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

That's a very interesting question Julian and I’ve enjoyed having an initial dig into finding out.

Funny enough my gut instinct was March too, interesting info you found there. I'm with you about the added bonus of often having some sun and warmth to enjoy in march too, you can't beat ski/snowboarding in spring as far as I'm concerned. Soft snow, sunshine, semi-frequent dumps of snow, and some warmer temps too, makes the ice-cold of January on the slopes seem a long way off!

• Like 1