Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps & Pyrenees Snow Thread 2015/16

J10

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hi Slysi. Yes, it has been a very snowy spell for the Alps. I've just tried to look at the webcam on your link but it appears to be buried in snow!! :D

But a quieter week coming up weather-wise. Looking a great week to be skiing though, with cold temps that will ensure fantastic on-piste conditions.

Yeah, I'm dying to see how much snow has fallen but the sodding webcam is covered lol. I've been following that webcam for a while now and see some huge amounts of snow there. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The following article published in the French press (following the tragic avalanche in the French Alps earlier this week) is an interesting and enlightening article. It contains general advice about the dangers of skiing/boarding off-piste, but also highlights the increased risk of doing so this season because of the poor start. The article also makes me want to say "well done" to the French for clearly stating they will not regulate the mountains in a nanny state fashion.
I've greatly reduced the article (but it's still lengthy - sorry) and I've tried to improve the Google translation:

The deadly avalanche in Les Deux Alpes on Wednesday (3 dead, 1 seriously injured) highlighted the problems with a late start to a season. Again it reflects ignorance of opinion on a phenomenon (avalanches) that’s full of mysteries even for insiders. The reasoning:

1 - Because there are no obvious signs it doesn't mean that there is no risk!

Wednesday's drama occurred on a closed black run in a valley traversed by several skiers throughout the day. Prior attendance (i.e. tracks on the piste) does not necessarily prejudge the stability of the coat. "Everything can be going well until the passage of the fifteenth skier at the location will trigger the avalanche. This early season combines the characteristics of a winter trap. Unstable underlay and risks of wind slabs".

2 - No, off-piste is not prohibited

France is not the United States. "The freedom to come and go is a fundamental freedom of our law. A ski off-piste ban may not be taken except in exceptional circumstances. The rope that marks off the secure domain does not mean (a skier) is banned but means that the skier beyond this limit shall be responsible in the mountains "free space".

3 – Yes, a closed track is considered a backcountry (off-piste) area

The closure procedure requires the placing of upstream nets with a "closed" sign written in full. A closed track is considered outside the secure domain so is considered off-piste. Beware – a groomed trail may be closed and an open track can be ungroomed.

4 - The recent cold will not stabilize the (snow) mantle

Paradoxically, it is the lack of early-season snow which explains the current high risk. Thin layers were formed without cohesion which is what experts call "cups", crystals without asperities (uneven surfaces) as coarse as salt. And large quantities of snow since January are now spread unevenly on this surface that resembles a treadmill. The instability associated with (these) old layers will not disappear in the coming days despite temperature changes. Layers that will persist throughout the season.

5 - Experience is not everything

This is what Alain Duclos (guide and expert) calls the illusion of knowledge. "Learning (about avalanches) is good, but not enough. Right now the situation is really complex…… and she (the conditions) will always take you by surprise. "

http://www.ledauphine.com/loisirs/2016/01/16/cinq-idees-recues-sur-les-avalanches

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning sunshine on the Katschberg. Looks like being a sparkling day.

C

12466327_1085359261498538_159097229859977199_o.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

What a stunning photo, shows Austria to its beautiful best.

• Like 1

The latest copy and paste from me in relation to the Ski Club GB update, and after recent heavy snow, things are quieting down with some very cold conditions.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/overview/default.aspx#.Vm9A1l4vAsU

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 18 JANUARY 2016

INTRODUCTION Conditions across the Alps have seen further improvements of late, after yet more snow fell over the course of the week. Excellent skiing both on and off the piste is currently available in many resorts across Europe. More snow is expected during the early part of the week, with a new storm expected to affect the north and western Alps. The avalanche danger has fallen in select areas in Europe, however, please do take care if looking to take advantage of the fresh snow over the coming week and check in resort for the latest avalanche conditions.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Lots of snow has fallen across the Alps over the past week, with a few selects resorts seeing upwards of a metre of snowfall in the last seven days. Conditions across many resorts have seen significant improvements, with good skiing available both on and off the piste. There was a bit of everything on offer across Europe on Monday 18th January. Light snow was falling in France, the sun was shining in Austria, cloud in Switzerland, and a bit of everything in Italy. The only common denominator was low temperatures everywhere, with the majority of resorts not getting much above -5C. A storm is likely to hit Europe during the early part of the week, with around 5-20cm of fresh expected in many regions. This will have past come Wednesday, replaced instead with clear skies and sunshine for many. Light snow was falling across much of Scotland on Monday, with temperatures hovering around zero for much of the day. Snowfall totals are expected to be only a few centimetres, so will do little to change the current outlook. It will be a mixture of sunshine and cloud over the week ahead, with temperature falling throughout. There is a possibility of some light snow at the end of the week.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, J10 said:

The latest copy and paste from me in relation to the Ski Club GB update, and after recent heavy snow, things are quieting down with some very cold conditions.

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 18 JANUARY 2016

INTRODUCTION Conditions across the Alps have seen further improvements of late, after yet more snow fell over the course of the week. Excellent skiing both on and off the piste is currently available in many resorts across Europe. More snow is expected during the early part of the week, with a new storm expected to affect the north and western Alps. The avalanche danger has fallen in select areas in Europe, however, please do take care if looking to take advantage of the fresh snow over the coming week and check in resort for the latest avalanche conditions.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Lots of snow has fallen across the Alps over the past week, with a few selects resorts seeing upwards of a metre of snowfall in the last seven days. Conditions across many resorts have seen significant improvements, with good skiing available both on and off the piste. There was a bit of everything on offer across Europe on Monday 18th January. Light snow was falling in France, the sun was shining in Austria, cloud in Switzerland, and a bit of everything in Italy. The only common denominator was low temperatures everywhere, with the majority of resorts not getting much above -5C. A storm is likely to hit Europe during the early part of the week, with around 5-20cm of fresh expected in many regions. This will have past come Wednesday, replaced instead with clear skies and sunshine for many. Light snow was falling across much of Scotland on Monday, with temperatures hovering around zero for much of the day. Snowfall totals are expected to be only a few centimetres, so will do little to change the current outlook. It will be a mixture of sunshine and cloud over the week ahead, with temperature falling throughout. There is a possibility of some light snow at the end of the week.

Thanks Julian. Always good to read the Ski Club's take on things, but I suspect someone has written this update based on earlier model runs that have subsequently backed away from the predictions I've highlighted above, i.e. there will be no storms this week, just some light patchy snow dying out by Weds, and temps that are likely to creep up by the end of the week.

Looking further ahead, for the likes of myself and SSIB who are heading off to the Alps this coming weekend, it's actually an ever so slightly disappointing outlook. Next week looking dry and probably with reasonable amounts of sun, but with day time freezing levels at uncomfortably high altitude. Freeze/thaw conditions look likely, although with pistes now in great shape, I would think on-piste skiing conditions should remain good. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Final days boarding in Nendaz before heading back to the UK tomorrow. Snow showers with temperatures below freezing should round off the trip perfectly. As BW points out temperatures are expected to rise as the week progresses but the pistes are in a wonderful condition! It's 's been a privilege boarding here for the last fortnight, even the locals have been expressing just how superb the skiing and snowboarding has been of late.

Hopefully colder conditions will return swiftly so I can plan the next trip. I'll keep my fingers crossed for BW and SSIB that they have a great holiday, I'm sure they will!

Edited by Norrona2015
usual dreadful spelling.
  • Like 1

Posted
On 13/01/2016 at 10:08 AM, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Thanks guys . Can't wait . Shots . Snowboarding . And snow , what could possibly go wrong !?

All packed and ready to go SSIB? Going by today's Ski Club snow reports & GFS runs it's looking like you should have a very enjoyable week's skiing. What do you fancy? Today's 06z run was suggesting largely settled with reasonable amounts of sunshine and freeze/thaw conditions, i.e. getting several degrees above freezing by day, but well below at night, so great skiing in the morning but a bit 'soft' in the afternoon. But this afternoon's 12z has colder air and fronts digging further south, so bring some snow late Tues but particularly Thurs/Fri with the 850 hPa isotherm at -5C and plenty of snow around right down to village level! Either will be enjoyable so I hope you have a great time. Here's the Ski Club snow report for Zell:

56a10ebd23361_ZellamSeeSnowReport.thumb.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx#.VqEEfFn3RHV

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
5 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

All packed and ready to go SSIB? Going by today's Ski Club snow reports & GFS runs it's looking like you should have a very enjoyable week's skiing. What do you fancy? Today's 06z run was suggesting largely settled with reasonable amounts of sunshine and freeze/thaw conditions, i.e. getting several degrees above freezing by day, but well below at night, so great skiing in the morning but a bit 'soft' in the afternoon. But this afternoon's 12z has colder air and fronts digging further south, so bring some snow late Tues but particularly Thurs/Fri with the 850 hPa isotherm at -5C and plenty of snow around right down to village level! Either will be enjoyable so I hope you have a great time. Here's the Ski Club snow report for Zell:

56a10ebd23361_ZellamSeeSnowReport.thumb.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx#.VqEEfFn3RHV

Hi b,w thanks , yea really looking forward to it , Iv been a bit disappointed in the models in the sense that the weeks looking dry , or at least it did , but haven't had a chance to catch up tonight ? It will be great to see some snow falling . But really looking forward to some sunny crisp mornings and temps of 3-5 by day , great to sit outside with a beer on the top of a mountain ! Iv never been before so a completely new experience but been a snow addict like most on hear as you can imagine I'm a wee but excited ! 

Posted
2 hours ago, J10 said:

Latest Ski Blog out, l;overly weather for skiing, with plenty of sunshine and warm at times in the sun. As a result not so good for the snow long term.

Thanks for the blog and your holiday wishes Julian. Yes, turning milder, but as you say, after recent snowfalls the skiing should remain very enjoyable on piste with no dramatic deterioration of conditions as long as there's some overnight freezing (particularly so for north facing slopes that get little sun at this time of year, so minimal melt).
Your sentence mentioning a "trade-off" reminds me of what one of my fellow skiers said to me today (whilst driving down through France enroute to Les Arcs) that last year we lost 2 days skiing (in Flaine) due to white-out conditions, whilst this year we should get a full 5 days in. And as SSIB says above, it should be good for sitting outside the mountain restaurants with a beer and enjoying some sun!
Wifi willing I'll report back with some pics over the coming week.  :)

• Like 2

Posted

First day of skiing here in Les Arcs and it's been great with pistes in great shape. It was -3C to start and clear blue sky but this afternoon has clouded over a bit, but not before we managed to share a couple of pizzas sat in the sun! The pics were at approx 2,300 metres and it was +3C.

56a4ee1a2478e_SundayLunch1.thumb.jpg.b6056a4ee24e743d_SundayLunch2.thumb.jpg.01256a4ee2f82864_SundayLunch3.thumb.jpg.7bc

• Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

First day of skiing here in Les Arcs and it's been great with pistes in great shape. It was -3C to start and clear blue sky but this afternoon has clouded over a bit, but not before we managed to share a couple of pizzas sat in the sun! The pics were at approx 2,300 metres and it was +3C.

56a4ee1a2478e_SundayLunch1.thumb.jpg.b6056a4ee24e743d_SundayLunch2.thumb.jpg.01256a4ee2f82864_SundayLunch3.thumb.jpg.7bc

Malcolm, looks nice and relaxing. As for that pizza, not sure. I prefer the Austrian ones , thin and crispy ! but the beer looks tasty. Enjoy your week and hope it does not get too warm.

C

Posted
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

Malcolm, looks nice and relaxing. As for that pizza, not sure. I prefer the Austrian ones , thin and crispy ! but the beer looks tasty. Enjoy your week and hope it does not get too warm.

C

Thanks very much Paul - I'll try my best! :D

It's been wall-to-wall sunshine here today and warmer. It's no surprise the charts show the 0C isotherm above 3,000m in the afternoon! Even in the village at 1,950m there's been lots of dripping off roofs and slush underfoot. But the pistes are providing excellent skiing thanks to the temp falling below freezing overnight so the piste bashers can do their job. A lot of the North facing slopes only see sunshine for a very brief few hours at the middle of the day (and some slopes not at all), so no real damage done there. Today's photo is from the Col de la Chal at 2,600m. Hope it works as it's a panarama shot, so scrolling may be required. (Edit: no it's fine).

56a648100eb92_ColdelaChalat2600m.thumb.j

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thanks very much Paul - I'll try my best! :D

It's been wall-to-wall sunshine here today and warmer. It's no surprise the charts show the 0C isotherm above 3,000m in the afternoon! Even in the village at 1,950m there's been lots of dripping off roofs and slush underfoot. But the pistes are providing excellent skiing thanks to the temp falling below freezing overnight so the piste bashers can do their job. A lot of the North facing slopes only see sunshine for a very brief few hours at the middle of the day (and some slopes not at all), so no real damage done there. Today's photo is from the Col de la Chal at 2,600m. Hope it works as it's a panarama shot, so scrolling may be required. (Edit: no it's fine).

56a648100eb92_ColdelaChalat2600m.thumb.j

Great picture thanks.

The latest copy and paste from me in relation to the Ski Club GB update, Much milder weather over the Alps this week, but some great conditions still in many resorts.

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 25 JANUARY 2016

INTRODUCTION The sun was shining across the Alps on Monday 25th January, giving an early taste of spring to most of our featured resorts. Temperatures nudged above zero over the weekend and by Monday the freezing level was sitting at around 3,000m. Despite the warm temperatures however, January's heavy snowfall meant that some great skiing was on offer across the region to start the final week of the month. Expect some south-facing slopes or those at the lower levels to soften up through the day, but if you head high or stick to the shadier slopes, some great powdery conditions are still out there to be found. A mostly sunny week is expected across the Alps, with some light snowfall possible overnight on Thursday.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK A mostly sunny week of weather is forecast for the Alps, with a slow drop in temperature also expected. Some clouds are predicted to move in during the course of Thursday, dropping as much as 10cm of snow on the northern Alps as the wind swings round to the north briefly. The sun looks set to return for Friday and Saturday, although a few snow showers are possible in places. A very similar weather pattern is expected for the Pyrenees, with Thursday set to be the only cloudy day this week. A few centimetres of new snow could fall to freshen the pistes nicely ahead of the weekend. Across in Eastern Europe very varied conditions are forecast over the coming week.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

The latest copy and paste from me in relation to the Ski Club GB update, Temps are set to fluctuate wildly over the next week, as alternate air masses pass through, however the chance of some very heavy snow over the weekend at the higher slopes, hopefully by tomorrow, we might have a better idea as to the expected Snow levels across the Alps.

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 28 JANUARY 2016

INTRODUCTION Easter-like conditions prevailed across the Alps on Thursday 28th January, thanks to mild temperatures and a sunny start to the day. Clouds moved in during the course of the day however, resulting in a cloudy afternoon for many. Despite this it is expected to remain mostly dry and the sun should return for most by Friday. Base depths are generally pretty decent at present and at average levels for the northern Alps in particular. As a result most lifts and pistes were open on Thursday, as they should be as we head into the final weekend of January. Keep an eye out however for a very active weather front arriving from the northwest on Sunday, which may drop heavy snow but also some heavy rain, with the freezing level currently forecast to lie around 2,000m.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Thursday night's clouds look set to clear through the Alps on Friday morning, leaving a mostly sunny and mild day with a freezing level of around 2,000m. Expect similar conditions to prevail into Saturday, resulting in some nice spring-like snow at lower levels. The weather for Saturday looks much more unsettled and very difficult to forecast so keep an eye out for the very latest forecasts. Thursday morning's update suggested that the snow/rain level will sit somewhere between 1,500m and 2,000m, above which 20-40cm is possible in places. The first week of February then looks set to remain mild, before colder air digs in on Wednesday, dropping the freezing level to around 1,000m by Thursday when further snowfall is expected. In contrast, the Pyrenees are set to remain dry right into early next week so be sure to pack your sunglasses and a good deal of sun cream as sunny skies are also expected.

• Like 1

Posted

Heading out now for the last day's skiing. It's been a remarkable week weather wise, with temperatures and sunshine making it more like a late season week. On Weds afternoon the weather & conditions info 'boards' at the bottom of the lifts said it was 16C at 1,000m, 10C at 2,000m and 3C at 3,000m. In January!!!

Only 3 skiing today as 2 of my friends have injuries after accidents on the piste. On one steep red that went through a narrow gully, a young lad in a ski school lost control and took my friend out. Not sure they should have been on the run! Friend has a very sore, stiff neck - probably whip-lash.

Nice day in La Plagne yesterday. Some photos of the cable car over from Les Arcs and one of La Plagne pistes. Fabulous skiing in La Plagne - better than Les Arcs IMO.

56ab22e09abbb_LesArcstoLaPlagne.thumb.jp56ab22ec63974_CableCarView.thumb.jpg.fe856ab22f7183e4_LaPlagne.thumb.jpg.fc0f00c

• Like 3

Lovely photos there Malcolm.

A fascinating week for the Alps coming up, Cool and snowy (at higher slopes) to start, then Mild and WEt, turning Very mild, before colder at the end with snow to much lower levels.

Unfortunately no kitchen sink this week, perhaps next week.

• Like 1

Posted

A funny 10 days in the Jungfrau region. Plenty of snow even into the valley on arrival. That is still there as little sunlight reaches it. Snow above about 5,000 ft remains good, less so lore down. Not surprising really considering temps over the past week. 8-12c in the village and 8cone day at 8,000 ft. Never seen that in January in 30 years.

Sorry no photos, camera, money, nicked in rucksack on train Lausanne to Freibourg, I think, not discovered loss until Berne.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, johnholmes said:

A funny 10 days in the Jungfrau region. Plenty of snow even into the valley on arrival. That is still there as little sunlight reaches it. Snow above about 5,000 ft remains good, less so lore down. Not surprising really considering temps over the past week. 8-12c in the village and 8cone day at 8,000 ft. Never seen that in January in 30 years.

Sorry no photos, camera, money, nicked in rucksack on train Lausanne to Freibourg, I think, not discovered loss until Berne.

Really sorry to here that, you must have been gutted.

14 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Some strange things do appear to be happening, the forecast FL is close 4000m at times on Monday. with 850HPa temps above 10c.

Posted
On 1/30/2016 at 11:23 AM, J10 said:

Really sorry to here that, you must have been gutted.

Some strange things do appear to be happening, the forecast FL is close 4000m at times on Monday. with 850HPa temps above 10c.

Not gutted as the snow was quite good above about 5000ft in spite of some high temperatures. But yes gutted re having money etc stolen. I suspect from very guarded comments from Swiss officials that it is the non Swiss element in the country now to blame! Now to 'try' and get some money from my insurance company.

Not looking all that great forecast wise for the Alps in general, better than recently but not any real cold spell of any length just looking quickly at the charts.

10 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Not gutted as the snow was quite good above about 5000ft in spite of some high temperatures. But yes gutted re having money etc stolen. I suspect from very guarded comments from Swiss officials that it is the non Swiss element in the country now to blame! Now to 'try' and get some money from my insurance company.

Not looking all that great forecast wise for the Alps in general, better than recently but not any real cold spell of any length just looking quickly at the charts.

I meant gutted about the the theft on the train, I should have made that clear. Good Luck with the insurance company.

Posted

Heading to La Plagne for the 2nd week of march, slightly worried about the level of warmth at the moment..  Looks like some decent snow currently forecast on Netweather for La Plagne on Sunday? Not sure how reliable that is this far out? (Haven't looked at the charts yet)