Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2015 - The Year's Notables

Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

With 2 months to go....what are the weather notables that make 2015 stand out in any way?

Looking at the mean CET values I've come up with these....

It's one of only five years since records began, and the first since 1879, where each of the first seven months of the year was colder than the corresponding month of the previous year 

It's going to be only the 5th year since the aforementioned 1879 where at least nine of the first ten months were colder than the previous year's corresponding months.  interestingly for cold weather fans, two of the previous four were 1946 and 1962 which were followed by bitterly cold winters  (as followed in 1879 as well) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Apart from that exceptionally hot day in July, it's been a very unremarkable year weather-wise.

Posted

I suppose there were some beasty supercells during July.

Posted

A bit early to judge but it has been notable for how little notable weather there has been!

Here there hasn't been any measurable snow, few storms, no cold or heat and apart from July and September every month has been within 0.5C of average. We only hit 20C five times before mid-June and the last was 28th August. We also only surpassed 25C six times all year.

Perhaps the only unusual thing is the average minima of every month has so far been below average with some late frosts in April and May but that's about it. Like 2014 before it, it's been a rather boring year.

Still, 2 months to go yet so hopefully something interesting will happen.

Edited by reef

Posted

A bit early to judge but it has been notable for how little notable weather there has been!

Here there hasn't been any measurable snow, few storms, no cold or heat and apart from July and September every month has been within 0.5C of average. We only hit 20C five times before mid-June and the last was 28th August. We also only surpassed 25C six times all year.

Perhaps the only unusual thing is the average minima of every month has so far been below average with some late frosts in April and May but that's about it. Like 2014 before it, it's been a rather boring year.

A Christmas blizzard would do.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Exeter it's been a pretty boring year, though a very fine spell around mid-April and an unexpected thunderstorm on 10 July stick out. 

For Sandhutton in N Yorkshire, where my weather station still resides, there were more in the way of notable events during the winter and early spring.  While snow never accumulated to more than a couple of centimetres' depth, the winter was notable for the high frequency of snow from westerly winds, including a covering on the mornings of 14 January and 3 March, and there was a dramatic fall in temperature on 31 March during a sleet/snow shower, from 9.4C to 3.2C.  Then April was exceptionally sunny.  However, not a lot happened there from May onwards.  The exceptional heat (32.4C in my parents' back garden, and 30-31C at nearby official sites) of 1 July and thunderstorms of 22 August were the standout events.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Regarding my stat about at least nine months being colder than the previous year.... on the occasions this has happened over the last 250 years (11 times) the average winter CET has been under 8.5C. we've only had one winter colder than that in the past 30 years.  So just getting the average type of winter that follows such a year could deliver us something notable

Posted

This could end up being the first year since 1973 where no month is either in the top 25% of the warmest months or the top 25% of the coldest months.

How can that be boring!!!!   :)

Posted

7-8pm on Saturday 22nd August. Probably the most intense thunder and lightning I've seen in the UK.

More weather in those 60 minutes than in the rest of the year put together. The sunny April and June were pleasant enough (although could have done with maxima 3-4C higher) but the rest of the year has been a total snoozefest. Some "notable" stats:

Fewest days over 20C since 1993.

20C not reached till June 4th- latest since 1986.

Warmest January day since at least 1987 on 9th (15C)

May's highest max was only 4C warmer than January's

September only one day over 20C- equal lowest since 1986

Absolute minima in May, June, July, Aug, Sep, Oct all within 3C of each other

Just 3 days over 25C, only one of which had more than 6 hours sun

Basically about 9/10ths of the year has been 10-18C and breezy with a lot of cloud, bits of sun, bits of light rain and nothing of interest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

1st July - 34c reached here.

3rd July - biblical thunder and lightning overhead. One of the best storms I have ever witnessed.

April - fine warm spell.

Late September/early October - very sunny fine spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

33C on 1 July.

Thunderstorms on 22 August.

That's it.

Not a bad year though. July and May were disappointing but the other months were fine - and sunnier than normal.

August my favourite this year - sunnier and slightly warmer than normal. Above average rain due to thunderstorms. The North south divide was in reverse.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

A very interesting year its been as far as weather is concerned,

But at least my cobweb covered electric fan got a chance to do the twist and shout for two days on June 30th, hopefully next year it will be doing more of the same. But apart from that:

The dreaded North/South devide dominating all summer giving headache as im in the North.

Watching fantastic thunderstorms on July 1st

Sudden snow fall in Janurary

Posted

A very interesting year its been as far as weather is concerned,

But at least my cobweb covered electric fan got a chance to do the twist and shout for two days on June 30th, hopefully next year it will be doing more of the same. But apart from that:

The dreaded North/South devide dominating all summer giving headache as im in the North.

Watching fantastic thunderstorms on July 1st

Sudden snow fall in Janurary

your weather means little to anyone else as you have no town in your avatar, so sadly we have no idea where you are?

any chance of you putting your location in your avatar please?

Posted

6 days of snow in January with 3 days lying, 2 consecutive, not bad for this area

May was pretty wet with 15mm on one day along with a coolish month

June had a very warm end with a mean of 19.0C for the last 6 days and a high of 31.8C the last day

This continued into July with my highest value in 18 years on the 1st with 34.8C, and this has only once been exceeded, as far as I know in this area, RAF Finningley 3 August 1990 with 35.5C

August was very wet with 91.8mm and 22.1mm on 22 along with a fairly impressive couple of storms that evening.

September was notable for the number of consecutive mornings with fog=6, probably the highest in a very long time

so some notable weather for me so far

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Other than a foot of snow from a westerly shower stream one day in late January and a single hot day day followed by impressive lightening display at the beginning of July the most striking think thing has been how bland and uneventful 2015 has been here.

As others have said, still a couple of months left to make amends but so far, one to forget.

Posted

I must say it hasn't exactly been a thrilling year here - a couple of interesting temperature records but not much else, and a thoroughly unmemorable summer and winter.  Hottest day since 2006 (34.1C) on 1 July and coldest July night since I moved here in 2002 (6.6) on the 31st.  9 January recorded the highest January temperature (15.5) since I moved here in 2002. After an excellent year for thunder in 2014 there has been minimal activity here this year, and little more that a couple of snow flurries in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fairly bland year to be honest, certainly one of the more boring my lifetime. So, I'll pick out what stands out from each month here:

January - (14th) snow showers off a Pm westerly, with accumulation in the Mendip area. The 09th was also very mild but not exceptionally so.

February - (23rd) unsettled showery westerly with wet snow and thunder in the afternoon.

March - (02nd) gusty brief thunderstorm in the evening with hail; (24th) impressive hailstorm leaving scenes as if had snowed late in the day.

April - sheer number of warm, sunny days.

May - (19th) big evening hailstorm with gunshot thunder.

June - (01st) one of the worst June days I've ever recorded; (30th) one of the best I've ever recorded.

July - (01st) the heat and humidity was quite something but not exceptional; (24th) one of the foulest days I've recorded in July with 30.4mm of rain.

August - (22nd) the thunderstorm after the hottest day of the month. The rest of August was quite wet after such a dry period up until then.

September - (14th) torrential rain and local flooding. 

October - a consistently arduous month. This current mild weather is quite notable for so late in the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

No dramatic weather here this year except for one spectacular overnight thunderstorm on 2nd July.

A notably cold Spring and early Summer with first 20c on 10th June. A low highest year temp of 22.5 on 30th June.

No frosts below -3C either though Dec 14 was colder. 19 days with snow falling (often wet and sleety) over the Winter and only 7 lying, never more than a couple of cms as showers petered out over the hills to our West.

Interestingly not too far to our NW in Highland Perthshire quite a snowy Winter with 38 days of snow falling and 45 with snow lying. Only two big falls with a foot plus on 14th January, most melting almost immediately though as it turned to heavy rain. The other being around 15 cms on 2nd March. No severe temps up there either with nothing approaching anywhere near minus double figures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Remembered here for a cool spring and summer,the summer being poor even though it was not wet just most of it breezy and 14 deg and cloudy,just the blip of 31 deg on july 1st.Autumn however has tried to make up for summer with most of sept and October having calm weather feeling very pleasant.

Posted

I guess we can now add the warmest November day to this thread...

• Like 2