Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Named Atlantic Storms Autumn & Winter 2015/16

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

So this year the Met Office & Met Eireann have come together with a pilot project to name storms which are expected to affect the UK & Ireland.

They will only be given a name when there is potential for severe windstorms to cause medium or high impacts for the UK and/or Ireland.

Names will be used alphabetically and the first one will be named Abigail, although looking at the latest model outputs we may have to wait a while for Abigail to show up! 

I sent an email to the Met Office asking them what criteria would need to be met for a storm to be named, they weren't specific with wind speed thresholds, but they did say this. 

A storm will be given a name when it is deemed to have the potential to cause substantial impacts in the UK and/or Ireland. By this, we mean that there must be a severe weather warning in place which falls within the highest impact levels (amber or red, as a general rule).
Each potential storm presents different possibilities for impact to the UK/Ireland, and so it can be relatively case-specific, based on a number of factors.Unfortunately I do not have specific figures in regards to wind speed thresholds etc.

This thread will run alongside the continuing Atlantic storms thread for discussion on more typical & generally less severe weather which may affect the UK & Ireland. 

Please use this thread to discuss severe Atlantic storms which have potential to cause significant disruption to the UK & Ireland and that have officially been named by the Met Office & Met Eireann under the new scheme, meaning confidence is sufficient enough that the impacts will be felt over parts of the UK & Ireland.

List of storm names to be used this season.

post-9615-0-39279100-1446209077_thumb.pn

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

So this year the Met Office & Met Eireann have come together with a pilot project to name storms which are expected to affect the UK & Ireland.

They will only be given a name when there is potential for severe windstorms to cause medium or high impacts for the UK and/or Ireland.

Names will be used alphabetically and the first one will be named Abigail, although looking at the latest model outputs we may have to wait a while for Abigail to show up! 

I sent an email to the Met Office asking them what criteria would need to be met for a storm to be named, they weren't specific with wind speed thresholds, but they did say this. 

This thread will run alongside the continuing Atlantic storms thread for discussion on more typical & generally less severe weather which may affect the UK & Ireland. 

Please use this thread to discuss severe Atlantic storms which have potential to cause significant disruption to the UK & Ireland and that have officially been named by the Met Office & Met Eireann under the new scheme, meaning confidence is sufficient enough that the impacts will be felt over parts of the UK & Ireland.

List of storm names to be used this season.

attachicon.gifnames.PNG

No Ursula?

Posted

No Ursula?

Nope, Have a look at the attached photo, names beginning with Q,U,X,Y & Z have been excluded so the naming is in line with the NHC when naming North Atlantic storms. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The Met Office has named the first storm of the season, storm Abigail which will affect Scotland during Thursday night and into Friday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2015/storm-Abigail?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weather_StormAbigail

The northwest and north of Scotland are likely to see severe southwesterly gales later on Thursday with strong winds extending across the Northern Isles into Friday morning. Gusts of 60-70 mph are likely with the possibility of some gusts exceeding 80mph in exposed locations. Winds will begin to ease across the Western Isles and the mainland on Friday morning and across the Northern Isles on Friday afternoon.

Met Office warning, they do stress the uncertainty regarding the extent & impacts from Abigail. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=he&from=rss&sn=A46A17CE-6019-C795-ADE7-F0B797DCF9D9_3_NW&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1447286400

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

*sigh* One day there will be a storm named Lauren. I don't think that's happened yet anywhere in the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

*sigh* One day there will be a storm named Lauren. I don't think that's happened yet anywhere in the world.

Try Siobhán -never a chance! Sounds good though - storm Siobhán...

Posted

Steve is there (my name) doubt we will get to me though :(

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
Removing unrelated content
  • Like 3

Posted

I have spoken to a few people today and they have all gone on about this storm as if its something massive. The naming of storms looks like causing nothing but misguided hysteria although i suspect it will be free advertising for the Met office.

• Like 1

Posted

I have spoken to a few people today and they have all gone on about this storm as if its something massive. The naming of storms looks like causing nothing but misguided hysteria although i suspect it will be free advertising for the Met office.

But it shows its working if everyone is aware of it?

• Like 3

Posted

Abigail's impacts were quite limited, but It was quite a significant storm for the areas which were affected by the storm force winds Abigail delivered in the far north-west, gusts of 80-90mph caused power cuts, led to school closures and disruption to travel etc. 

Posted

yup but away from the north west, it was pretty much non existent

I wouldn't say it was non existent elsewhere, but the far north west was always in the firing line for the strongest winds, as was forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Looks like Barney may be on its way on Monday!