Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lauren

Do You Get ASMR?

Is it similar to frisson, the sensation you get from a powerful piece of music ??.

Something strange always happens to me when I hear the sound of bagpipes, or Nana Mouskouri or Joan Baez singing Amazing Grace. Is that the sort of thing you mean, Lauren? :)

What you both describe is called Synaethesia, specifically audio-tactile synaethesia. This is feeling chills and goosebumps with the hairs on the back of your neck standing up when you hear certain pieces of music.. It is a similar feeling, but not quite the same. Frisson is basically the same thing as synaethesia, but frisson specifically describes the chills. People who experience both will say they are similar but there s a distinct difference that they can't quite put their finger on.

What you both describe is called Synaethesia, specifically audio-tactile synaethesia. This is feeling chills and goosebumps with the hairs on the back of your neck standing up when you hear certain pieces of music.. It is a similar feeling, but not quite the same. Frisson is basically the same thing as synaethesia, but frisson specifically describes the chills. People who experience both will say they are similar but there s a distinct difference that they can't quite put their finger on.

WOW Lauren, How do you know all of this:? :cc_confused:

I studied a lot of this stuff in my degree. ASMR wasn't covered though, but interestingly is having more and more research done on it since so many people have 'come out' and said they experience it. What we do know is, it is a real, recordable sensation. We don't know exactly what it is, or if you either have it or you don't, but we do know it can majorly help insomnia and anxiety.

If you read a lot of the video comments, many people say how it's the only thing that helps them to sleep or that it has majorly helped with panic attacks and anxiety.

I'll be interested to see the outcome of the research into using ASMR as treatment for insomnia, anxiety and depression. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a such a simple, non medicinal treatment that was scirntifically proven, unlike so many other holistic treatments?

I studied a lot of this stuff in my degree. ASMR wasn't covered though, but interestingly is having more and more research done on it since so many people have 'come out' and said they experience it. What we do know is, it is a real, recordable sensation. We don't know exactly what it is, or if you either have it or you don't, but we do know it can majorly help insomnia and anxiety.

If you read a lot of the video comments, many people say how it's the only thing that helps them to sleep or that it has majorly helped with panic attacks and anxiety.

I'll be interested to see the outcome of the research into using ASMR as treatment for insomnia, anxiety and depression. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a such a simple, non medicinal treatment that was scirntifically proven, unlike so many other holistic treatments?

Many Thanks Lauren for Sharingx :)  :)  :)

Ah, now you mention synaesthesia, I do know what you mean, I think. I sometimes hear/smell in colour. But, for the life of me, I cannot put my finger on it either; neither can I properly explain it. :)

Are you a mental health care improvement co-ordinator or something similar to that?

lol i get this a lot ...i thought everbody did?... never thought about it as anything out of the ordinary

Are you a mental health care improvement co-ordinator or something similar to that?

I'm a mental health worker/therapist, yes, why?

I'm a mental health worker/therapist, yes, why?

I remember you telling me that you worked in mental health, I was just wondering what your exact job title was.

Something to add, is that it doesn't appear to be hereditary. many people report themselves to be the only person in the famiyt to experience it. Which begs the question, what is it that allows some to experience it and not others?