Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Do You Get ASMR?

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response?

Also known as brain tingles or brain-gasms.

Maria here explains it best:

I have experienced this ever since I can remember and for a long time assumed I was a complete freak. By chance I stumbled upon this and found out it's an actual thing that many people experience and it has a name.

It is one of the most wonderful, euphoric, calming feelings in the world.

Does any one else experience it?

I know that people who do not, will wonder what the hell is going on and back away slowly from the thread, but those who do will definitely get it.

Edited by Lauren

Not from watching that, no. But, from hearing music that kind of resonates, yes...

Well ain't she got a peculiar accent lol.

Yes I've experienced it so many times I'm not sure about it being euphoric but it is definitely pleasurable.

I always thought it was something everyone experienced?

Not from watching that, no. But, from hearing music that kind of resonates, yes...

The msuic thing is a slightly different phenomenon that is also recognised. There are many different people who do ASMR videos. This lady really triggers me, but others not so much

Well ain't she got a peculiar accent lol.

Yes I've experienced it so many times I'm not sure about it being euphoric but it is definitely pleasurable.

I always thought it was something everyone experienced?

She is Russian, now living in the US, hence the accent.

Not every body experiences it, many do not.

Does anyone know what she's on about?

no think she runs a coffee shop in London that Harry Enfield frequents :).. Edited by Mokidugway

no think she runs a coffee shop in London that Harry Enfield frequents :)..

As I'm completely lost, I'll go back to watching Sons of Anarchy! :D

My Gosh! A Gorgeous lady, made me feel very relaxed ! :air_kiss:  :air_kiss:  :air_kiss:  :lazy:  :lazy:  :lazy:

I don't think so, no. The sensation described doesn't seem familiar.

Edited by cheese

Oh well, I tried....

You did!

Folks, don't just derail a potentially interesting thread with off topic garbage. There are other threads for inane ramblings.

Oh well, I tried....

I apologize too, Lauren; I also thought it was a wind-up. :sorry:

Oh well, I tried....

i know exactly what you are talking about. i get it as well. it usually happens when watching my kids doing activities which require slow delicate movements like drawing or building intricate lego models. however i find certain random people can have the same effect, often elderly people or children but not exclusively. its all in the mannerisms or voice. soft 'calming' voices or movements (similar to the woman in the video) its a really relaxing feeling, similar to a head massage. i've often wanted to ask other people if they got it but felt a bit silly asking, in case they thought i was a nutter! apparently i'm not!

Sorry Lauren ,I thought it was a wind up article ,will do some research :)..

I apologize too, Lauren; I also thought it was a wind-up. :sorry:

No worries, I think I would have had a similar reaction had I not experienced it. I think it must sound very odd to someone who doesn't get it. The closest way I can describe it is when you use one of these things on your head, except it happens inside your head and down the back of your neck.

http://www.relaxation.com/shop/productimages/THCHHT.jpg

i know exactly what you are talking about. i get it as well. it usually happens when watching my kids doing activities which require slow delicate movements like drawing or building intricate lego models. however i find certain random people can have the same effect, often elderly people or children but not exclusively. its all in the mannerisms or voice. soft 'calming' voices or movements (similar to the woman in the video) its a really relaxing feeling, similar to a head massage. i've often wanted to ask other people if they got it but felt a bit silly asking, in case they thought i was a nutter! apparently i'm not!

Exactly! It seems different things trigger different people. For me it's the deliberate slow hand movements, barely audible whispering, crinkly packets and someone explaining something in details with a slow calm, quiet voice. I tend to get triggered by the roleplay videos more than anything else, others seem to get triggered by more demonstration videos.

There are thousands upon thousands of ASMR videos on Youtube. Most people tend to find one particular artists triggers them the most - for me it is Maria of GentleWhsipering.

These are my favourites of hers, but there are thousands of other people who trigger others more:

Very importantly, it is absolutely not a sexual thing, which many people who don't get it think it is. If anything it's completely unarousing, it puts you almost into a trance of super calm.

And yes, I know many who read this will wonder if they've wondered into the Twilight Zone, I realise how incredibly weird it all sounds.

Hi Lauren. Thankyou for posting this, and on reading and viewing the videos, I can relate to this ! Never realised it had a name , but Ive experienced it for instance when I have my haircut or whats left of it :rofl: !There have been other times when I have felt this Sensation.... :) The lady in the video is simply stunning. but I can certainly relate to this feeling.... :)

Yes, haircuts is a common one, There's quite a lot of haircut roleplays.

Something strange always happens to me when I hear the sound of bagpipes, or Nana Mouskouri or Joan Baez singing Amazing Grace. Is that the sort of thing you mean, Lauren? :)

Something strange always happens to me when I hear the sound of bagpipes, or Nana Mouskouri or Joan Baez singing Amazing Grace. Is that the sort of thing you mean, Lauren? :)

Isnt that when your hair on the back of your neck stands on end? Perhaps a different thing? :cc_confused: