Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DisruptiveGust

Processed meats will be classed as "carcinogenic to humans" alongside alcohol, asbestos and cigarettes.

Bacon, ham, sausages & red meat to be classed alongside cigarettes, arsenic & asbestos as cancer causing by the world health organisation.

http://news.sky.com/story/1576118/sausage-cancer-threat-highlighted-by-experts

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/26/processed-meats-pose-same-cancer-risk-as-smoking-and-asbestos-reports-say

It seems most things these days will give you cancer!! I do eat all of the foods listed here but no to excess, I don't eat bacon or sausage that often but I do have red meat maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I believe everything is fine in moderation! 

From what I've read on the matter, that's only if consumed in excessive amounts. Having a bacon sarnie isn't going to give you cancer anymore than smoking a cigarette once back in your teenage years will. Neither is it on the same level. It's misleading because you would assume that having a sausage is as bad for you as smoking and it isn't, nowhere near, all it means is that there is a link between excessive consumption and bowel cancer.

I'm not a big red meat/processed meat eater anyway, generally tend to eat white meat or fish. But you can't beat a top quality steak or burger every now and then.

If we overly worried about the risks involved with everything we do or consume then life wouldn't be worth living, frankly.

I'll continue to have the occasional burger, steak and bacon sarnie. Like Lauren, I mostly eat white meat and fish anyway.

"The WCRF advises that people can reduce their bowel cancer risk by eating no more than 500g (cooked weight) per week of red meat, such as beef, pork and lamb.It also says people should eat processed meats such as ham, bacon and salami as little as possible."

I do like red meat, but my portion size is only 100-125g a day so that's 4 dinners as usual and chicken and fish on the others. No big deal........

The difficult bit will be no bacon sarnies on a Saturday :sorry: Would life still be worth living :nonono:

More over the top scaremongering . You can't beat a sausage sandwich or bacon sarnie. I love French food but hate the sausages and friends always bring me a few packs of Richmond sausages when they visit!

If you don't eat much processed food then I don't see the problem, food is one of life's great pleasures and a few treats never harmed anyone.

Is this decision based on the large meta-analysis from a couple of years ago, I wonder?  Though I never read it cover to cover, I read enough to know that the increased risk was significant (in both the everyday and scientific meanings of the word), but not as scary as the media made it seem. 

To my mind, the problem is that the reporting of such studies doesn't account for the fact that most people are neither research scientists nor statisticians.  If a study which shows a statistical mortality risk increase of, say 25% for a particular behaviour, many people assume that doing it vs. not doing it increases your risk of dying within the stated time frame by 25%, so, if your risk was 10%, they think it'll be 35% if you do whatever it is the study was analysing.  Of course, what it actually shows is that the increase in risk is 25% of the risk without the behaviour, so, if your risk minus the behaviour was 10%, your risk with it is 10% + 25% of 10%, or 10% + 2.5% = 12.5%.

Red meat is full of antioxidants & iron so surely it's quite beneficial same for red wine in moderation? And FYI a bit of cholesterol isn't bad we need it to stay healthy, "every cell in your body, where it helps to produce cell membranes, hormones, vitamin D, and bile acids that help you digest fat".

I bet when Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble hunted for food 100,000 years ago they didn't argue about the calorific and carcinogenic properties of their kill....i.e we're natural meat eaters/omnivores as a species and this 'you shouldn't eat this and you shouldn't eat that' is load of old cobblers in my book

I bet when Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble hunted for food 100,000 years ago they didn't argue about the calorific and carcinogenic properties of their kill....i.e we're natural meat eaters/omnivores as a species and this 'you shouldn't eat this and you shouldn't eat that' is load of old cobblers in my book

They also would have had a much lower life expectancy! (Admittedly, diet alone wouldn't be the reason for that).

I strongly believe that it's our ever-increasing life-expectancy that's making us all more susceptible to cancer; our bodies wear out and bits of genetic code accumulate 'errors', during replication. And, after all, we can't live on water alone! :)

I do agree largely with that, it is like with sex, male & female - we've distinguished from each over and that is not really natural. We've fabricated a idea football is for boys & dolls are for girls. I do think we as a society are aware of what is damaging and what is not. If you like a bacon bap then go ahead you only live once, you hear all the time many people who have lived to 100+ smoking 20 a day and lashing salt all over their fish supper. I do think genetics play a big part and that is entirely out of your control. I do not say eat what you want but be mindful of what you eat and you should be okay.

I strongly believe that it's our ever-increasing life-expectancy that's making us all more susceptible to cancer; our bodies wear out and bits of genetic code accumulate 'errors', during replication. And, after all, we can't live on water alone! :)

Yep, theoretically us humans could live a awful lot longer say to grand old age of 150 if it was lot for this natural decay of our DNA, whoever in the future God knows how, who was able to devise a way to slow down the rate of decay which causes us to age and additionally the natural decay arises in mutations linking to cancer, life expectancies could rise by decade(s). :)

To be honest this isn't that shocking and its supposedly related to cooking methods as well (boiling never reaches the temperature required for meat produce the carcegon).

Although I do eat meat I do think I'm going to become a veg and fish eater at some point. Not only is veg production more efficient but the number of vitamins which can't be found in any is actually quite low suggesting you only need 1/2 meat/fish meals in a week.

One has to remember that we only evolved to eat meat because our needs could not be served from fruit and veg around the world which is the case today. With a proper veg diet you need very little meat/fish to supplement. That said I do understand that your average Joe doesn't have such knowledge of nutrition.

Yep, theoretically us humans could live a awful lot longer say to grand old age of 150 if it was lot for this natural decay of our DNA, whoever in the future God knows how, who was able to devise a way to slow down the rate of decay which causes us to age and additionally the natural decay arises in mutations linking to cancer, life expectancies could rise by decade(s). :)

Our life expectancy has risen a fair bit during the last half century but this is due to many factors - probably a well balanced diet is one of the reasons - I believe I did see that the level of alcohol consumed has lessened in latter years - more life threatening diseases are now treatable and there are such things as safer transport systems, cars have seat belts and air bags which mean that often even the more serious accidents do not necessarily turn out to be fatal.

However what this also means is that people in higher mortality situations did not always live long enough to develop such things as some cancers because they did live long enough but now many of us are not only living to an age where these cancers do more readily develop but when they do most, if detected earlier enough, are more treatable.

I do believe at the same time that life expectancy can very much be the luck of the draw and that some people can literally worry themselves into an early grave so I take the view that a little of what you fancy does you good. Paying absolutely strict attention to your diet may not necessarily enable you to live longer, it will just seem that way. :)

The problem is every article I've seen on this today they use a bloody delicious picture!

Although I ill say this....

One year I went vegetarian for Lent, just to see if I could do it and it resulted in me finding loads of great non-meat recipes that I might not have otherwise thought about. As a result, we eat a lot less meat than we used to. I'd say we have 2 or 3 meat free dinners a week now.

We`ll be eating grass next like sheep.

Already smoke it. :ninja:

Over processed scientific research is bad for your health.

Still going to enjoy my bacon bap (just saying)

so , eat tuna steaks instead.    which have probably been  fished in the pacific, and are therefore contaminated from constant leakage at fukashima 

so , eat tuna steaks instead.    which have probably been  fished in the pacific, and are therefore contaminated from constant leakage at fukashima 

The amount of radiation leaked from Fukushima is a drop in the ocean, quite literally, in the grand scheme of things.

Already smoke it. :ninja:

Over processed scientific research is bad for your

health.

:D                   Rabbit food we`ll have.