Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lfcdude

Hunters kill 200 bears in a single day in Florida

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11954149/Hunters-kill-200-bears-in-a-single-day-in-Florida.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

I put this in the serious discussion as reading this is pretty grim, 

We have no more right to be on this planet then them.. Yet 

Hunters gunned down more than 200 bears in Florida this weekend, when the state lifted restrictions on shooting the creatures for the first time in two decades.

More than 3,200 people ventured out with shotguns, bows, pistols, revolvers and crossbows to participate in the statewide bear “harvestâ€.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission had set a maximum of quota of 320 black bears for the cull that was due to last all week.

But by the end of the first day, on Saturday, 207 creatures were registered as dead and officials were forced to end the hunt in some parts of the state.

one day 207 black bears dead... where is the out cry? Why is this not on news?

doesn't bear thinking about...

doesn't bear thinking about...

Tbh i put this in serous discussion as i think its a serious debate 

All the american outcry against their hunter who shot cecil the lion.. yet their can hunt like this.. its sicking and double standards and obtuse 

yes mate i know. the americans who protested against the lion killing would probably be protesting about the bears but cecil went worldwide. this is a bear cull not a specific trophy hunt (though it is for most of the hunters themselves) we have deer culls here and a few people pay to be part of it. i think the major issue is the gun culture in the US and how killing animals is seen as 'fun' out there. the problem is, their culture is only a couple of hundred years old. they had to arm themselves against hostile native americans and hunt for food. they are a fast moving modern society but seem to have a problem breaking away from their relatively recent roots. shooting bears is sad but its the american psyche that needs sorting out as a whole.

Unfortunately since most of us are omnivores it is impossible to have a world where we humans do not have a system of killing animals but this can be done responsibly or irresponsibly.

To have the hunters and the hunted is the very essence of nature and left to nature this normally occurs in a sustainable manner to the benefit of all the species as  a whole and a balance is maintained.

There are four main reasons for men shooting wild animals - I would suggest that three are acceptable - that is one; for a genuine need of food and two; for a cull where the overpopulation of a particular species threatens the health and well being of that species as a whole, for example in this country we will have a deer cull to prevent over population and over grazing to the extent that starvation of the whole herd becomes a risk; and then three; in order to control vermin which can become a health hazard and a pest.

The fourth which in my view is unacceptable is the shooting or otherwise killing of wild life purely in the name of sport - in fact this becomes one of the most unsporting activities I can think of because the odds are so heavily weighed against those animals hunted and it shows a complete disrespect for life in my view.

In the days of yore we had an aristocracy where some would spend their days occupied in the various blood sports and it makes me wonder how many of these, desensitized to the idea of killing became high ranking officers during the first world war, had little compunction to sending thousands of ordinary young men 'over the top' into a position of almost certain death for many.

Prior to the arrival of the Europeans the original inhabitants of America hunted as a way of life to provide food and raw materials for clothing and living. For them it was necessary and in general they developed respect for the animals they hunted and a reverence for their lives so that they hunted in a sustainable manner and it was not until the arrival of the white hunters that the buffalo were virtually wiped out altogether on the American plains.

I bet to them they would consider it a fun day out - that is what's grim.

I bet to them they would consider it a fun day out - that is what's grim.

The problem is though that the same can be levelled at fishing and grouse shooting, not that I disagree with what you're saying.

I do wonder whether allowing just anyone with a weapon out into the wilds to assist a planned cull is advisable.  Surely it should be licensed hunters only?

Yep I think so to. 

I do wonder whether allowing just anyone with a weapon out into the wilds to assist a planned cull is advisable.  Surely it should be licensed hunters only?

I'll just remind you that this is 'murrrica!

I'll just remind you that this is 'murrrica!

Enough said.  Just seems a bit disorganised, that's all, plus there must be a greater chance of animals not being dispatched immediately and therefore suffering.

You've gotta admire the staggering hypocrisy when a member of the human race, population 7 billion-and-counting, justifies killing on the grounds of "population control".