Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snipper

Sugar Tax

Yet another load of spheroids?

What happened to self control?

Snipper

Not going to change a thing. People aren't going to give two hoots about 10 or 20p. Education is the key. Teach people what's good for them, how to cook from a young age and you just don't get this problem. We know in countries where food and nutrition education is big in schools, obesity rates are MUCH lower.

Our governments are becoming more authoritarian by the day, it is essentially the parent of citizens these days. As Lauren said education is key, but people should be left to make their own decisions once that information is given to them. At least they've finally stopped wrongly going after fat now and have identified sugar as the cause of obesity. "Diet" products that removed fat and replaced it with sugar always annoyed me.

Quite simply the hole at the top is bigger than the hole at the bottom. Eat too much of anything it will increase your weight.

When I cook food myself, I never add sugar; spag bol, curries, whatever - there's no need to add sugar. So why the UK government doesn't ban the gratuitous addition of sugar to savories, is beyond me...Kow-towing to the sugar manufacturers?

Quite simply the hole at the top is bigger than the hole at the bottom. Eat too much of anything it will increase your weight.

What so 'big bones' have nothing to do with it?   :D  :rofl:

How do you educate people to put less in?   :fool:

First off tell your children no they can't have unlimited sweet things. No matter what their friend's parents let them have. An occasional treat yes.

Snipper

But if we had the products on the supermarkets shelves displaying more conspicuous labelling as to the sugar content of their products then surely more people would be in a position to exercise this self control you speak of.

Snipper

But tax means revenue and they've got to get it from somewhere now they've scared us all off the fags.

But tax means revenue and they've got to get it from somewhere now they've scared us all off the fags.

I'm still addicted to everything ,couldn't give a f**k what this or any other goverment tries to tell or boss me about ..:)..

I'm still addicted to everything ,couldn't give a f**k what this or any other goverment tries to tell or boss me about ..:)..

How much are they these days? I quit when they hit £5 a pack. I knew a lorry driver who was getting me cheap foreign fags for years. Probably laced with sawdust and rat poison but it all added to the flavour!

How much are they these days? I quit when they hit £5 a pack. I knew a lorry driver who was getting me cheap foreign fags for years. Probably laced with sawdust and rat poison but it all added to the flavour!

9.20 a pack for Marlboro ,but I have a mate in the oil industry who gets them for me from abroad for less than half that :)..

9.20 a pack for Marlboro ,but I have a mate in the oil industry who gets them for me from abroad for less than half that :)..

If sugar ends up getting taxed like tobacco we can expect to pay a tenner for a cornetto then!

I know the facts...but I am not just what I eat, I am how I eat. Snacking on the go is bad for you. Sitting down and eating a small, nutritious meal is good. I smoke a bit, lightly, but have gone to an e-bugger, which is hard to get used to but gradually getting accepted. I resent being told what to do by the "state" though and when surveys appear it giv s me a great longing to false report and distort the statistics!

Go onto the e-bugger. For men it's a great bulge in your pocket, but for all of us it's cheaper and "healthier". My BP went down by 15mm within 10 days of starting the e-bugger.

Telling a kid they can only eat fruit and have a sweet as a treat, is the same as telling a 16 year old that can't drink alcohol. The kid will either eat at a friends or buy their own and the 16 year old will nick their fathers vodka and drink it on the way home from schoo

Go onto the e-bugger. For men it's a great bulge in your pocket, but for all of us it's cheaper and "healthier". My BP went down by 15mm within 10 days of starting the e-bugger.

Your British Petroleum? That asked, I agree: e-fags are safer and cheaper! :D

why not have a general food tax. or compulsory exercise with heavy fines for non-compliance, or even better, prison in a labour camp. air strikes by the RAF on Tate & Lyle. make chocolate a class A drug. or the likes of jamie oliver could just f*#! off

Your British Petroleum? That asked, I agree: e-fags are safer and cheaper! :D

Blood Pressure! Could also have affected my petrol use as I exercise so much more!!!

Fortunately I smoke a pipe and the price of 50 grams at La Jonquera just over the border in Spain is 5€05 and that lasts me approx. 5 days. Haven't bought any pipe baccy in the UK for yonks - I hope that lfclude does not get his way :whistling:

why not have a general food tax. or compulsory exercise with heavy fines for non-compliance, or even better, prison in a labour camp. air strikes by the RAF on Tate & Lyle. make chocolate a class A drug. or the likes of jamie oliver could just f*#! off

I'm all for RAF strikes on Tate & Lyle, anyone who thought that using Gary Rhodes in an advertising campaign was a good idea, deserves to be leveled. I'm off to buy some Cadbury Wholenut from my dealer.

Snipper

Exactly, why should I have to fork out extra for the pleasures of life just because some people can't control the amount of biscuits/sweets/chocolate etc that they shovel down their cake hole. I agree with the sentiments of many when I say let people take control over what they choose to eat rather than enforcing a blanket tax which penalises the people who can eat such things in moderation!

But if we had the products on the supermarkets shelves displaying more conspicuous labelling as to the sugar content of their products then surely more people would be in a position to exercise this self control you speak of.

Come on Mike, you can't tell me that people pick up sweets, biscuits etc and don't realise there's likely to be a high sugar content? I know some people can be quite vacuous at times but still, 9/10 times things that taste sweet are sugary!

Surely once your over weight it becomes obvious that  x + y = fat?  :whistling:

These petty rules and laws are one of worst things about this country although when it comes to sweets and fatty foods I say tax it as much you like as it doesn't effect myself and my occasional pleasures (alcohol and bacy) which have already been taxed to the max.  :D

Ahh I give up. Until were taxed on everything and working 24 hours (or how about 25) a day, the government etc will never be happy. Like most others (I hope), consuming such food and drinks should be a choice. If you get fat, just don't expect the state to help you out I say. It's impossible to enjoy the simplest things in life these days.