Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BornFromTheVoid

2015 Sets a New Record for Category 4 and 5 Hurricanes and Typhoons

Despite just 1 Atlantic cat 4 storm, it seems we've set a new record thanks to the hyper active Pacific.

A record 20 hurricanes or typhoons have reached Category 4 or 5 strength in the Northern Hemisphere this year.

The record was broken on Saturday when Koppu became the nineteenth storm to reach this intensity prior to slamming into the Philippines as a super typhoon. This was then followed by Champi on Sunday, which became a super typhoon with maximum sustained winds also estimated to be Category 4 strength.

The old record for the Northern Hemisphere was 18 set in 2004, according to Dr. Phil Klotzbach of Colorado State University and blogger for wunderground.com. For perspective, an average of 12.5 Category 4 or 5 storms have been recorded during the 1990-2014 period, Klotzbach added.

More here: http://www.wunderground.com/news/record-most-category-4-or-5-hurricanes-typhoons

Despite just 1 Atlantic cat 4 storm, it seems we've set a new record thanks to the hyper active Pacific.

More here: http://www.wunderground.com/news/record-most-category-4-or-5-hurricanes-typhoons

I suppose with all things being equal then the quiet Atlantic season ( again ) would be offset with the anomalous warmth in the Pacific thus spawning more activity?

Now 22 with Patricia attaining cat 4 status. The record just keeps being broken, now by a larger margin! And I think we will get more for sure!

It's certainly been a truly amazing year in the Pacific. The most remarkable thing to me has been the record breaking Central Pacific activity.