Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2015/2016

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

OK so the thinking (or general consensus) is that December will be mild this year? and the potential for blocking not until late December (or more likely - early January)?

I notice that AAM is not mentioned in that forecast Sebastian copied in from Americanwx.

The AAM will be heavily linked to the EN - so even if it is not mentioned it will be strongly correlated to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Not really the place for this, but undoubtedly there will be stratospheric elements in it...

When (or if) will the NW Winter forecast be issued this year? Always a good read. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Will be out before end of this month Steve.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Will be out before end of this month Steve.

Excellent!

Posted

I agree with most of what ed has posted above but I wonder if the Siberian ridge is going to be the wildcard here. the Greenland PV segment can be strong whilst a stronger ridge to our East than shown on that analog exists. We could well see a colder December than is currently expected if that Siberian block edges west somewhat.

• Like 2

Posted

I agree with most of what ed has posted above but I wonder if the Siberian ridge is going to be the wildcard here. the Greenland PV segment can be strong whilst a stronger ridge to our East than shown on that analog exists. We could well see a colder December than is currently expected if that Siberian block edges west somewhat.

I suspect that it will just be out of reach (as per normal in December), Nick. I see that the GFS is resetting the Siberian block further west after the first block is pushed south triggering the NAMT.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Well - this is interesting. 240h forecast here is not a million miles away at all from what we are surely hoping to see? With a bit of tweaking does this suggest the chance of a SSW event at around New Year?

ecmwf7f240.gif

• Like 6

Posted

Hello from Amsterdam, and thanks for all the solid info posted here!

I am surprised how quiet it is here. Surely today's 12z isn't too bad, right? 

Can someone elucidate to what extend the (imo) unusual high over the Kara and Barentz Sea has something to do with the (minor) warming we see at 10 hPa?

One more, maybe stupid, question: is this a wave-3 pattern (temperature wise) developing?

gfsnh-0-210.png

gfsnh-10-216.png

gfsnh-10-360.png

Edited by Ruben Amsterdam
  • Like 3

Posted

Seeing some noticeable wave 1 and 2 activity showing up in a weeks time on Berlin charts. The vortex looks strong at the moment so warmings will probably 'surf' around the edges. by day 10, the zonal wind getting above the 30m/s @ 30hpa which I consider to mean it's slightly stronger than average. Remember it's only just into December at the timescale.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The Tsar bomb is pretty astounding when you read the figures and at the same time terrifying.

The date is uncanny though; could be coincidence but what happened during that winter was highly unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

According to Wikipedia the test date was Oct 30th 1961. Perhaps it was responsible for one of the coldest March's on record in 1962.

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps, as with explosive volcanic eruptions, the results linger for a few years. Reading the old papers about the stratosphere in that winter, much is made of the extreme belt of heights stretching from Eurasia to western Canada in late autumn/early winter.

A very strong solar cycle was in rapid decline in the previous year - maybe a double whammy on the vortex brought about something so exceptional.

RG16Vqv.png

• Like 2

Posted

Here is some long range magic from CFSv2 daily ensembles, which I finally managed to average the right way, and they seem to be doing a good job, continuing with the promotion of the vigorous wave1.

cfs10.png cfs5.png t10.png

Gonna add the NASA model, which I find to be very interesting, and going to 240h, it has forecasting potential together with ECMWF, FIM-9, GFS, JMA and ensemble guidance. 

h-in-inst33dasmcp2015112.png

Adding comparison of zonal mean zonal wind from NASA, GFS and ECMWF

ecmwfzmuf240.gif u-componentofwindisobari.png u-in-inst33dasmcp2015112.png

And difference between NASAs GMAO and GFS, showing where GFS has weaker or stronger zonal wind mean component. Not very useful now, but will be when/if stronger dynamics get into play.

u-componentofwindisobari.png

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 6

Can I ask a stupid question please?  I have searched literature and my copy of Holton's textbook and I just can't find a clear explanation anywhere.

What is meant by "wave 1" and "wave 2"?  I assume "wave 1 forcing" is the energy/momentum transfer resulting from the upward propagation and dissipation in the stratosphere.  But for the life of me, I just don't know what wave 1 and wave 2 means, and I haven't been able to figure it out.  Is it the number of waves?  Does their position matter?  Are they longwave troughs?  ridges?  Both?  I don't get it.

I have an MS in atmospheric science :(

Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted

I have done these posts before with images, but somehow Mr. Chionomaniac always seems to forget to add them to the first post. :D

Well, its quite simple really. Wave number 1, mean literally a 1 wave form in the stratosphere. A literal atmospheric wave, or make that like a giant rossby wave if you wish, but not that literally. 

An example (a quite strong one, tho, but still). Wave number 2 is the same principle, just with two waves, or two ridges instead of one. This particualr example is one of the CFSv2 ensemble perturbations for 25.12.2015. 

geopotentialheightisobar.png geopotentialheightisobar.png

• Like 1

Posted

Thank you both so much.  It has been so frustrating not knowing something so elementary.

:D

The only daft question is the one you don't ask. It took a while for me to work it out when I first started looking at the strat! Next year I will put an explanation in the first post.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Funny that we don't just call it 2-Wave activity really. Its easy enough to imagine once you know it's about having two ridges at play - essentially the vortex is 'pinched'. It sounds very painful but who likes a rampant polar vortex anyway?  :p

From what I've seen in recent years, wave 1 seems relatively kind to the vortex, giving it a shove and potentially weakening it a fair bit but with plenty of potential to bounce back later.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 2

Posted

Oh trust me, a full on wave 1 can be a harder case for the vortex to handle than a wave 2. if the vortex is strong, it can take the "energy" of the 2-wave and use it to its own advantage, remaining firm in place, unless a strong enough temp. waves are following. While in a full blown wave 1 it will get shoved out of place before it can say "is that a wave1 coming at me...". Of course with the normal disclaimers, like each scenario is different and each situation is unique. :)

• Like 5