Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2015/2016

Posted

the axis of the upper strat vortex later in week 2 is different on the 12z run. more on the traditional asia to canada line rather than the promising looking meridian it showed a few days ago. tbh, the week 2 modelling looks unconvincing other than there will be quite a warming and the vortex will be displaced somewhat. no decent continuity on what happens to the vortex and how consistent the warming will be and whether the vortex is simply displaced or pinched as has been shown on some op runs.

ed needs to do some more eps fishing!

Posted

I'd be surprised  if we get a SSW by the end of Jan/early Feb but I'm  not sure we need it given then the forcing from the trop.  All we need is is the continued trop to strat influence and a bit of fingers crossed if you want cold.  The signs are in place regarding the MJO and the constriction of the PV shown over current runs.  What happens next, if at at all, is like a ball hitting the reds from a snooker break i.e. no guarantee that they end up where you want them.  So a bit of short term pain with the constriction and then who knows?  Certainly the NWP models have been guessing.

Edited by Trom
awful spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Not quite fishing , but a decent heads up, it thought about it on the zonal wind plot last night, this moves things into 'ramp' stages.

Capture.thumb.JPG.00037e990049b48ccb14c8

30mb on tonight's GFS sees a split over this period also with the vortex pegged to Siberia.

NH_HGT_30mb_207.thumb.gif.2b969f13bb6c0aNH_HGT_30mb_264.thumb.gif.d6635655b154b6

Bit of a change in the last 48 hrs...

t30hpa.thumb.JPG.b7b20f0c42740a0573a112dt30.thumb.JPG.9a6b90b51324aa973d2da8feff

569ec7e98f915_heatflux.thumb.JPG.cbc8fbd569ec7fdec641_vt3080.thumb.JPG.c62067384

Looking at the extent of that and the question of instant and lagged responses -very difficult to second guess things, looks to me though that this impacts right across the column and we are in for a quick hit.

A quick hit what's that? lol

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Nice charts above! Very nearly negative at the top of the atmosphere, and good flux direction at the bottom of the chart. Am I right in thinking we need the negative winds at 10hpa for an official SSW, and not just a 1hpa?

Posted

The direction of travel is clear there but 60N 10hpa still has positive winds of 25m/s at day 10.  We had some very positive strat charts last winter from ECM op output which never verified at all. However, with decent ncep support, it seems all is not too well with this leviathan of a strat vortex and the current roar (loud though it is) is likely it's last noisy one this season. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2016 at 6:33 PM, KyleHenry said:

In short yes, but the exact details of Temperatures/energy are not confirmed. 

What makes this a possible major SSW is longevity of the strong PV and the combination of wave 1 followed by Mountain torque event.

Very exciting to observe.

image.jpg

Once again, where is the mountain torque event?

Posted
57 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The direction of travel is clear there but 60N 10hpa still has positive winds of 25m/s at day 10.  We had some very positive strat charts last winter from ECM op output which never verified at all. However, with decent ncep support, it seems all is not too well with this leviathan of a strat vortex and the current roar (loud though it is) is likely it's last noisy one this season. 

Was any research done on the impact on the low pressure anomalies in the Kara Sea region last winter? I seem to recall Dr Cohen mentioning it a few times in his blog. It seem to be a stumbling block that tripped people up.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
37 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Was any research done on the impact on the low pressure anomalies in the Kara Sea region last winter? I seem to recall Dr Cohen mentioning it a few times in his blog. It seem to be a stumbling block that tripped people up.

Not particularly for last year - but we were recently discussing on twitter the importance of the Kara high for AO and NAO blocking events especially when combined with SSW's. Low heights in this region combined with no SSW gave the worst AO/NAO outlook and a strong Kara high combined with an SSW gave a great -ve NAO. The hard work was yet again supplied by the brilliant Ant Masiello. If you go to the tweet chains then you can see a comparison of the years

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Here is the latest mountain torque plot from wdt, not there yet.

gltaum.90day.gif

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, chionomaniac said:

Not particularly for last year - but we were recently discussing on twitter the importance of the Kara high for AO and NAO blocking events especially when combined with SSW's. Low heights in this region combined with no SSW gave the worst AO/NAO outlook and a strong Kara high combined with an SSW gave a great -ve NAO. The hard work was yet again supplied by the brilliant Ant Masiello. If you go to the tweet chains then you can see a comparison of the years

Also remembering the research that was linked last winter - to have strongest heights centred over the Taymyr peninsula but most important that those heights extend through all layers of the atmosphere.

100mb   42eae29b5ec1183e57e5dc2088bae6be.png 50mb  88fcdc0628442331b1f7d6e9f14d7d35.png

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Interitus said:

Once again, where is the mountain torque event?

If you follow this link for visual gif of EAMT event 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/908-stratosphere-thread/

Series of strong atmospheric  Kelvin waves out of Indian Ocean area have been emitted over this  month, higher AAM. 

If you observe the placement and region of the upcoming energy wave it iminates from Himalayan mountain plateau in turn it becomes a pre cursor to a SSW in upper Stratosphere. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The ECM output for yesterday certainly shows the effects over the next 10 days of the top warming gradually downwelling slowing the mean zonal wind speeds.

ecmwfzm_u_a12.thumb.gif.8a0691f6524eb652           ecmwfzm_u_f240.thumb.gif.3157d07e1af2c2b              

added to the warming at the trop. level,a real squeeze being put on that cold mid-level.It's the closest i have seen  the forecast to a total reversal.

To my untrained eye we should see a switch to a -AO quite soon into February if those zonal wind forecasts verify.Maybe a vortex displacement rather than a split at this stage?

• Like 5

Posted

Some encouraging posts and signs we may be about to see the polar vortex hit considerably over the latter part of this month, setting up a different northern hemispheric background as we enter February, one far more conducive to producing a colder outlook and more importantly also perhaps a drier more blocked set up. So whilst the immediate outlook looks less than inspiring for anyone who likes cold settled weather, in the background significant building blocks could be emerging towards a very different set up come next month.

• Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Dr Cohen on his Twitter account says in response to someone that both GFS and Euro are predicting a SSW within 10 days.

Are they? 

Get in.  Lets hope for a quick downwelling.  

The charts come the month end will hopefully start to show up some great charts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Dr Cohen on his Twitter account says in response to someone that both GFS and Euro are predicting a SSW within 10 days.

Are they? 

No.

ecmwfzm_u_f240.gif

showmap-strat.php?run=2016012100&var=HGT

I could understand him saying that the GFS is right at the end of the run, although its not technically an SSW, I think his definition of SSW is that if he thinks its strong enough that he thinks the AO will at some point respond and go negative, he still calls it an SSW,

There is some charts that suggest one might not be too far away though on the berlin plots though.

ecmwf1f240.gif

ecmwfzm_ha1_f240.gif

ecmwfzm_ha2_f240.gif

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
10 minutes ago, Johnp said:

A bit worrying that Cohen, one of the so called stratospheric experts doesnt even know what a SSW is?

As far as i'm aware I don't think there is one universally accepted definition.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

He's certainly pretty bullish:

If he posted on here, he'd be chastised for ramping. :D

• Like 4