Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2015/2016

Posted

An impressive FI warming on the 18z for sure.

gfsnh-10-384.thumb.png.13e05f2bad334d9d1

This is what it would look like on the polar cap graph if it verified.

pole10_nh.thumb.gif.7bef5350fbc3110f7ae6

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

Dunno if this helps, is from 12z experimental though.

wind_5_f336.thumb.png.1922d041bf1eec5053

Is that available in NH format chris?, I like that if it is

Posted
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Is that available in NH format chris?, I like that if it is

The full range of NH view products here.

http://fim.noaa.gov/FIM/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=fim_jet&domain=201&run_time=18+Jan+2016+-+12Z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Nouska said:

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
9 hours ago, ukpaul said:

Look at the map (small I know) and it shows the UK in blues (cooler) as per Europe, with our surrounding water pink (warmer). Northern Europe refers to Scandinavia and Northern Russia.

Wow, very small!

Posted

SSW looks like it is taking place to late keeps getting pushed out i like march weather to be more spring like and SSW to take place in Dec golf season is starting soon winter just seems to get pushed out later every year and most of the time not happen at all.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for another great post Recretos.

Yes in terms of the positive AO and SSW.  The research conducted did show a stronger trop response with the AO positive at the time, the effects lessened as the AO drops towards neutral and then in the negative AO state even less.

This I suppose is quite logical because in effect theres not as much fuel to ignite. Or perhaps a better analogy the balloon isn't as blown up so when you stick the needle in this being the SSW theres less pop!

Good post Recretos, though with a warming like 2009 there was nothing ambiguous about an easterly zonal wind component in excess of 30 m/s on 28th January.

Also for those that might not be sure,  counterintuitively the 50% north and east directions of a 10 m/s sw wind are 7.07 m/s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
6 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Good post Recretos, though with a warming like 2009 there was nothing ambiguous about an easterly zonal wind component in excess of 30 m/s on 28th January.

Also for those that might not be sure,  counterintuitively the 50% north and east directions of a 10 m/s sw wind are 7.07 m/s

Because cos (pi/4 radians) = 1 / sqrt(2) = 0.707 so 10 * cos(pi/4) = 7.07 m/s (in case anyone's wondering :))

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Interitus said:

Thanks guys.

Well, i was giving a general example of a -1 and +1. of course the magnitude of -30m/s is on a whole different scale, which requires a complete breakdown of the vortex, and establishment of a polar anti-vortex. 
2009 was a beautiful example. here are some graphics of that date, and we can see the strong easterly flow being present along the 60N line. 

z-in-grib2netcdf-atls05-.png  u-in-grib2netcdf-atls06-.png-u-componentofwindisobar.png

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 4

Posted

@Recretos

Regarding the GFS polar cap 10mb temps,is there a reason it won't verify (if taken at face value) other than the fact the chart is way into FI?

Looks to be about -76C over the pole at the moment which ties in well with the JMA graph.

gfsnh-10-6.thumb.png.740ab0acf747cd9cf3dpole10_nh.thumb.gif.0c86e42c415eb43f0b5a

I see there has been a big volcanic eruption on the North East Coast of Russia bordering the north eastern Pacific, a place called Zhupanovsky.

Given its location, is this likely to have an effect on the warming of the stratosphere ?

Just interested to know peoples experience of this kind of thing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
23 minutes ago, EastYorkie said:

I see there has been a big volcanic eruption on the North East Coast of Russia bordering the north eastern Pacific, a place called Zhupanovsky.

Given its location, is this likely to have an effect on the warming of the stratosphere ?

Just interested to know peoples experience of this kind of thing.

Reports say the ash cloud reached 8km, so at the very lowest level of the strat if close to the poles.

The 1815 Tamboura eruption which helped to create 'the year without a summer' in 1816 had a column that reached up to 45km so clearly this is of a very much smaller magnitude. Whether it will have some effect of a lesser degree is something to keep an eye on.

Posted

@Cloud10 

What I am trying to tell you, is that you must consider the fact that the JMA graphs, like the NOAA graphs are area-averaged. They probably avrage the whole area from 60N-90N, Or 65N or something like that. Your estimate went up to -8, which was the maximum temp on the chart, and not what the JMA would get if they averaged the whole polar cap from 60N to 90N. Even if the very spot of the north pole at 90N would be taken it is still a too big estimate. You must average the entire area to get the temp for that graph, not just the highest temps. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the 30hpa level the 12z gfs has significantly downgraded the stratospheric warming.

The last 3 runs had deep orange colours but noting like that in the 12z.

Posted
2 hours ago, Recretos said:

@Cloud10 

What I am trying to tell you, is that you must consider the fact that the JMA graphs, like the NOAA graphs are area-averaged. They probably avrage the whole area from 60N-90N, Or 65N or something like that. Your estimate went up to -8, which was the maximum temp on the chart, and not what the JMA would get if they averaged the whole polar cap from 60N to 90N. Even if the very spot of the north pole at 90N would be taken it is still a too big estimate. You must average the entire area to get the temp for that graph, not just the highest temps. :)

Thanks for that.:)

I had thought the measurement was taken over a relatively small area not thousands of square kms!

Posted
58 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Karyo

Do you only make posts in this thread with a negative tone?

58 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Karyo

Do you only make posts in this thread with a negative tone?

I am puzzled by your comment! You have obviously cherry picked the 'negative' comments. It was only last week when I was the first to comment on the 12z showing a major warming.

There are plenty of comments here when things are looking promising but then it goes quiet when the warming doesn't materialise to the extent that it was showing before which may lead to inexperienced members thinking that it is still due to happen. For example, many people in the models output discussion thread are basing their hopes in the SSW.

My comments are always based on fact whether you like them or not. :-)

Edited by karyo
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, karyo said:

I am puzzled by your comment! You have obviously cherry picked the 'negative' comments. It was only last week when I was the first to comment on the 12z showing a major warming.

There are plenty of comments here when things are looking promising but then it goes quiet when the warming doesn't materialise to the extent that it was showing before which may lead to inexperienced members thinking that it is still due to happen. For example, many people in the models output discussion thread are basing their hopes in the SSW.

My comments are always based on fact whether you like them or not. :-)

Personally I think it makes it more interesting the split in the warming. Like a boxer working the body waiting for that knock out punch the warming appears to be giving the pv a bit of a battering and previous runs cannot be discounted with regards to theme. Reality is we've been tracking this for weeks now and it would appear as if the wheels are definitely in motion albeit destination unknown, strat is currently warming and the strat trop strat coupling is in motion. The guys in here (the cleaver ones, not me) are like the winter ninjas tracking the cold down wherever it may hide :) a good dose of hope helps too :) 

Now:-

12_0_arctic10.thumb.png.7e4f6326f67652ad

A beating:-

12_324_arctic10.thumb.png.fecb02142b97d9

End of run (still working the body) :-

12_384_arctic10.thumb.png.b3ec07c2f9270d

Either way the pv is in the corner and on the ropes. Looking forward seeing the next few rounds over the coming weeks :) 

Edited by Chris1986
  • Like 1