Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2015/2016

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Does any of the more learned on here know how any warming is likely to manifest i.e would we be looking at a fairly rapid trop response or are we going to be waiting around? I only ask because I don't fancy using up the best (first half) part of January waiting for any effects to be felt. February cold is never the same in my opinion.

February can be a severely cold month though. What about February 1947 which was one of the most famously cold months of the 20th century. Also February 1986 which was the last sub zero CET month before December 2010 and also February 1991 which was very cold and snowy in the first half at least. Not to mention that we can get deep cold post February like in March 2013 and that was late March. In fact i've heard statistically February is the coldest month of the year on average if not joint coldest or at least second coldest after January but probably little warmer than its preceding month.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 2

Posted

In Holland we have the famous Elfstedentocht, a 200km ice skating tour/competition. It has been held 15 times since 1904, most often in February but only once in December (1933). So yes, February can produce extreme cold when the continent is snow covered and SSTs are at their lowest...

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

February can be a severely cold month though. What about February 1947 which was one of the most famously cold months of the 20th century. Also February 1986 which was the last sub zero CET month before December 2010 and also February 1991 which was very cold and snowy in the first half at least. Not to mention that we can get deep cold post February like in March 2013 and that was late March. In fact i've heard statistically February is the coldest month of the year on average if not joint coldest or at least second coldest after January but probably little warmer than its preceding month.

February 1947 . . . . now, that would have been an exciting time to be watching stratospheric developments.

szBN3AN.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Some previous strat warming events saw the tropospheric pattern change (i.e. blocking) before the official stratospheric vortex split or displacement. The 1986-87 winter featured a strong El Nino, the strat vortex displacement didn't officially occur until Jan 25th '87' but the infamous brutal cold easterly started early on in the month. Check out this strat loop here:

http://www.meteo.mcgill.ca/~pmartineau/updated_graphs/svw_anim/all_gif/1987_01_25

Current ECMWF and GFS runs both indicating impressive  strat warming over eastern Siberia from about day 5 onwards, which could help dudge the strong PV at least in the meantime. Also I'm encouraged by the increasing wave number 1 EP flux from model forecasts by Berlin strat forecasts by day 10, also wave number 2 EP flux evident via Euro ridging ... which should continue to put pressure on the vortex.

I guess with the strong El Niño with typical Dec climb it brings and the more amplified MJO signal now forecast, the pattern for the rest of this month may remain unfavourable for blocking. But the consistent wave flux signals from the models suggest energy transfer to the strat will continue unabated and will hopefully lead to a weakening in the New a Year ... fingers crossed not much of a wait!

Thanks Nick, couldn't have hoped for a better response than this. Strat mechanisms are not my forte.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Current ECMWF and GFS runs both indicating impressive  strat warming over eastern Siberia from about day 5 onwards, which could help dudge the strong PV at least in the meantime. Also I'm encouraged by the increasing wave number 1 EP flux by Berlin strat forecasts by day 10, also wave number 2 EP flux evident via Euro ridging ... which should continue to put pressure on the vortex.

Hi Nick, I am looking to improve my knowledge and understanding of the stratosphere and the forecasting tools available for this. Could you pass on the sources you use, especially in terms of wave forecasts as you mention above? 

Cheers.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
13 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Hi Nick, I am looking to improve my knowledge and understanding of the stratosphere and the forecasting tools available for this. Could you pass on the sources you use, especially in terms of wave forecasts as you mention above? 

Cheers.

The Berlin stratosphere diagnostic tools using ECM data are freely available and have wave flux forecasts but you have to register to access them,  they email to say you have been granted access within a few days if I remember rightly, link here:

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/winterdiagnostics/index.html

Andreas Dornbrack's site is very good:

http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/arctic/ecmwf.php

Netweather extra GFS chart viewer has stratospheric temp charts for 10/30/100 hPA. Or there is the NOAA Climate Prediction Centre strat forecasts and analyses here

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat_a_f/

Tokyo Climate Centre another reasonable source:

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cheers Nick. In short for now, no surprise to see such zonality and low arctic height profiles with the strat at 30hPa well below normal temperature wise for this stage of the season!

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
6 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

On meteociel, very familiar with everyone for NH H5 look,  looking at wave impacts try it on 1.5 PVU tropopause level provides a great view of things, especially where animated.

gfsnh-4-192.thumb.png.9919816081bbfb5a9a

Yes, that animation illustrates well the poleward wave energy produced by the Euro ridge ... 

• Like 2

Posted

High up in the strat, gfs  00z op brings the Pacific ridge into the western states which forces the trough axis East. That would tend towards a colder pattern for Europe if replicated lower down. 

• Like 7

Posted

What to say? GFS is forecasting some sort of minor event now within the +240hr range. At the same time, it appears that this will not at all be enough to bring the vortex down. Any thoughts/calculations on how this will affect zonal wind speeds and whether we can expect any tropospheric responses? 

NH_HGT_10mb_240.gif

• Like 1

Posted

I haven't got time unfortunately for anything too in depth Ruben but should that pattern downwell in tandem with the 10mb pattern one would expect an uptick in the jet energy on this side of the Northern Hemisphere, at least temporarily, whilst the vortex gets displaced towards the Atlantic sector.

Beyond that it's all just down to whether we can get any secondary wave attacks before the PV relocates to its spiritual home over the pole.

SK

Posted
9 hours ago, bluearmy said:

High up in the strat, gfs  00z op brings the Pacific ridge into the western states which forces the trough axis East. That would tend towards a colder pattern for Europe if replicated lower down. 

The 06z and 12z didn't repeat this

note that temp at 1mb gets to plus 10c below T200

those forecasts which were at two weeks look likely to verify but they aren't going to induce anything drastic on the short term

Posted

The CFSv2 10hPa weekly forecasts last few runs out to 10th Jan suggest an elongation and gradual shift of the stratospheric vortex towards Scandinavia looking at the loop below - need to click play:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=cfs-avg&region=nhem&pkg=Tz10_7d&runtime=2015121312&fh=666&xpos=0&ypos=277

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted

Wave-2? Didn't see that one coming... More interesting things this morning: quite a significant difference between EC and GFS at 1 hPa +240hrs. GFS forecasting height increases in the Japanese sector, EC in the European (hence the wave-2 I think). EC does show the "Japanese" high in the levels below (2,3,5 hPa), is it hinting on something starting from the top? I must say the +21C in the EC forecast is quite impressive. 

NH_HGT_1mb_228.thumb.gif.7cb862e4b1cdc6becmwf1f240.thumb.gif.83191eb5f817e5eae0d

Edited by Ruben Amsterdam
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
2 hours ago, s4lancia said:

Very decent wave 2 forecast this morning from the ECM...

image.thumb.jpg.9ce0f35bb813fcdfc650a5fd

At first glance with the ECM Berlin data it appears that the wave 2 is far stronger than the wave 1, but that is not the case at all. The scales surprisingly and confusingly are different so that the wave strengths are the same for both. I put this in the lower end of moderate category. The wave 1 shows through most because it has the wave 2 element on top of the wave 1 reinforcing it.

• Like 9

Posted
8 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

At first glance with the ECM Berlin data it appears that the wave 2 is far stronger than the wave 1, but that is not the case at all. The scales surprisingly and confusingly are different so that the wave strengths are the same for both. I put this in the lower end of moderate category. The wave 1 shows through most because it has the wave 2 element on top of the wave 1 reinforcing it.

I remember reading here one day that wave-2 geopotentials can be more disruptive at lower m' values? Hence maybe the different color scales: 1200 m' is more impressive for wave-2 than it is for wave-1.

Speaking of wave-2, just checked the 2008/09 thread and check out the EPV and heat flux on some of these historical forecasts!

post-4523-1232437934.gif

• Like 3

Posted

Nice to take a trip down memory lane occasionally,and maybe we will be seeing stuff like this verifying come early-mid January.:)

gfsnh-2012011700-10-12.thumb.png.f2fa4efecmwf10a12.thumb.gif.5e2ee88e5af8c7364ed

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Nice to take a trip down memory lane occasionally,and maybe we will be seeing stuff like this verifying come early-mid January.:)

gfsnh-2012011700-10-12.thumb.png.f2fa4efecmwf10a12.thumb.gif.5e2ee88e5af8c7364ed

post-4523-1232191536.gif

Or this!!!!!   -   The best you can get, a wave 2 split slicing vertically (on map) through Greenland.

• Like 1

Posted

Could someone explain what the wave 2 activity posted above would mean for our winter weather. I'm  a complete novice when it comes to the strat. 

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest Cohen

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

Still expects a significant weakening of the vortex in January.

• Like 2