Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

600th anniversary of Agincourt.

Is that date of 17.10.2015 on the Julian or the Gregorian Calendar? My search shows the anniversary as 25.10.1415 but if this was on the Julian Calendar you may well be right since this would have been 8 days in advance of the later calendar making the true date 17.10.2015 according to our modern system.  

What I do understand that at the time the weather was not conducive to standing around on a battle field freezing your proverbials off; however recent heavy rains had waterlogged the ground and gave the advantage to Harry because the heavily armoured Chevaliers floundered in the mud.

A great victory but an unchivalrous one.

Poor French expected to fight as knights but the English god their bows out.

Reminded me of Indiana Jones against the big sword fella.

Ah, yes, but we stole the Longbow from the Welsh!

That scene gets me every time, it's brilliant. Apparently, Harrison Ford was a bit unwell when filming, and the script had him fighting that guy hand-to-hand, so they changed the scene so he didn't have to do it. One of those quirks that worked out better than the original plan.

It shouldn't really have taken the French by surprise, longbows were used to good effect at the battle of Crecy in1346, then again at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356 so it should not altogether have been a surprise to the French that they were used in this battle. 

In any case most of the French did not have the chance to do any effective fighting - although they outnumbered the English greatly the way forward for them was narrowing so the rear ranks were held up by the front ranks. Many of the front ranks were either unseated from their horses or lost their footing on the muddy ground effectively preventing any further advance from those behind, so you ended up with those in the middle unable to move forward and prevented from going back because of others behind them and they ended up as sitting ducks for the English archers.