Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Cluster

Cultural Superiority: fact or convenient self-delusion?

Having seen and heard many a reference to 'cultural superiority', of late, I thought I might question it:

Here http://www.netflix.com/watch/70059389?trackId=14170151&tctx=31%252C2%252Cc60a9a8b-24b9-4f99-9495-99fe6825b9a7-45392839 are eyewitness accounts of the actions of the 'culturally superior' Japanese Imperial Army in Nanking, China, during late 1937/early 1938...

So, I suggest, that there is no such thing as 'cultural superiority', just delusions of grandeur...?

A very good question Ed. However I think we need to be realistic. Please tell me how our culture is not superior to say that of Saudi Arabia.

A very good question Ed. However I think we need to be realistic. Please tell me how our culture is not superior to say that of Saudi Arabia.

But they are our BFFs, solar??

But they are our BFFs, solar??

Yeah Brits and Saudis besties forever yolo  :D

(sorry I don't really know how young people talk)

Yeah Brits and Saudis besties forever yolo  :D

(sorry I don't really know how young people talk)

Me neither! :rofl:

Please tell me how our culture is not superior to say that of Saudi Arabia.

Depends who is judging. I imagine quite a lot of Saudi Arabians would see it the other way around.

We'd really need some sort of panel of independent interstellar / universal super beings (Q's from Star Trek or something) to come up with some sort of scale for judging.

And that begs the question... who is judging them / what makes them qualified to judge? Would they not be just judging us by their own standards...

Depends who is judging. I imagine quite a lot of Saudi Arabians would see it the other way around.

We'd really need some sort of panel of independent interstellar / universal super beings (Q's from Star Trek or something) to come up with some sort of scale for judging.

And that begs the question... who is judging them / what makes them qualified to judge? Would they not be just judging us by their own standards...

I guess the men there would.

Having seen and heard many a reference to 'cultural superiority', of late, I thought I might question it:

Here http://www.netflix.com/watch/70059389?trackId=14170151&tctx=31%252C2%252Cc60a9a8b-24b9-4f99-9495-99fe6825b9a7-45392839 are eyewitness accounts of the actions of the 'culturally superior' Japanese Imperial Army in Nanking, China, during late 1937/early 1938...

So, I suggest, that there is no such thing as 'cultural superiority', just delusions of grandeur...?

Certainly the latter. Best recent example Britain in Kenya. The murder and brutalization of hundreds of thousands of Kikuyu was okay because they were no better than animals. A good book on that atrocity, Imperial Reckoning: The untold story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya.

EDIT

And internally you could use Eugenics as an example.

The Saudis regularly decapitate ,crucify , stone and whip individuals plus other horrors ,so I would say our culture is at least morally superior ....

Thing is, in Saudi they probably consider their executions to be for the moral good, based on their own religious perspective.

Everybody likes to believe they're making the sensible, moral choice, (whether feeding the homeless or blowing themselves up as a martyr) but given that morality is a rather personal and subjective idea, we can really only judge from our own biased perspective. There is no all knowing, perfectly objective being that can say who is the most moral, so we need some other objective criteria upon which comparisons between cultures can be made.

What an interesting question. I'd define what makes a superior culture and relate it to human rights. Of course there maybe some who live in Saudi who think theres nothing wrong with their culture however from where I'm standing any culture that diminishes an individuals human rights is a total failure IMO and an inferior culture.

Fact.

Equal rights and religious tolerance are the points on which a culture should be judged.

Fact.

Equal rights and religious tolerance are the points on which a culture should be judged.

and that's somthing you won't find in Saudi ..

and that's somthing you won't find in Saudi ..

And something we might not find here, either - once the Tory Toffs renounce the ECHR? :cc_confused:

Maybe ,but I'm not hanging around in Blighty long enough to find out !!!

BUGGER-OFF THEN! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Try a duffle-bag? The Yanks just love them! :D

cheers ,will order one from American Apparel :)..

This is all very good in an intellectual,theoretical, rarefied argument. But do you have mothers, sisters, daughters? Are you happy to argue that it isn't really inferior to treat them like dirt and like objects beneath men just because 'that's their culture and we must respect it.' How about racist and homophobic cultures? Please argue they aren't inferior.

While i think you can argue about what a superior cultural value is, i find the notion that you consider cultures equal to be barmy. 

From our point of view (market economies, democracy, no civil wars, secular) i certainly view some nations to be inferior. 

This is all very good in an intellectual,theoretical, rarefied argument. But do you have mothers, sisters, daughters? Are you happy to argue that it isn't really inferior to treat them like dirt and like objects beneath men just because 'that's their culture and we must respect it.' How about racist and homophobic cultures? Please argue they aren't inferior.

Did you watch the thing that I put forward? 

Different people from different areas develop different cultures - provided that the culture developed is encompassing to the people involved and recognises and respects individuality how can we say that one culture is better or more superior than another? They will all have their faults and benefits, then it is up to the individual to decide which of all the cultures is most suited to him - the majority opt to stay with the culture they grew up with because that is what they know but some find more fulfilment in moving to an area where the culture is different.

We all have our different aims in life and provided people are respectful of their fellows we cannot really say that any one person is more important than another - we all have our different parts to play to make up a composite whole, In many respects the person who cleans the toilets is just as important as the CEO because without toilets we would all be in it literally!

From our point of view (market economies, democracy, no civil wars, secular) i certainly view some nations to be inferior. 

Out of interest, do you consider some countries to be superior to Britain?

If so, which ones?