Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vantage Vue Humidity?

Wilxy

Posted

Hello everyone.

For a while now I have noticed that my vantage vue humidity records lower levels of humidity compared to other stations around my area I know the console has a in built calibration but it does fine in mid range humidity but when it goes above 90% it struggles to get any higher than 95% the highest I have ever seen it go is 96% on a very foggy morning while other stations were reporting around 97-99%.

If anyone has a vantage vue I would like to hear from you to compare.

Thank you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

My Vue, records that fine, but the temperature board as a whole has been very tempermental. Have you tried removing the little case around the sensor, taking out the little mesh sheild and giving it a damn good clean? Mine was full of teeny bugs, dust and bits. Perhaps that may not be helping??

Posted

My Vue, records that fine, but the temperature board as a whole has been very tempermental. Have you tried removing the little case around the sensor, taking out the little mesh sheild and giving it a damn good clean? Mine was full of teeny bugs, dust and bits. Perhaps that may not be helping??

I did give it a clean the other day and cleaned the little mesh bit but this is a ongoing problem and was trying to compare to others to see if this is a Davis thing or if my sensor is going faulty my temperature is fine just the humidity that seems off

Posted

Realistically you may as well bump it up 2% in calibration and forget it, unless you want to change the sensor.
It's not as if it was miles out.

Posted

Realistically you may as well bump it up 2% in calibration and forget it, unless you want to change the sensor.

It's not as if it was miles out.

I already know I was just wondering if people get the same results or whether it's a isolated problem.

Posted

It does seem the Davis sensors vary a bit with them generally topping out somewhere between 95-100%, with 5% error being the tolerance limit at that humidity level (Davis uses the SHT11 sensor (or I think SHT71 for the Vue which has the same specs)) http://www.sensirion.com/en/products/humidity-temperature/humidity-temperature-sensor-sht1x/ 

Though I feel temperature readings are usually better than those specs, with humidity limiting sensors to that category.

Around 98-99% is perhaps the most common limit from the Vantage Vue stations I've noticed. Though I use a Pro2, my first sensor topped out at about 95%, 2nd one 98-99%, and the current one 97-98%. I did set a +1 offset to keep it consistent but that probably affects the accuracy at lower humidities, though I find Davis dew points in general often read a little higher than official Met/Airport stations. 

Posted

Even with an SHT15 (the more accurate sensor with +/-2% humidity accuracy from 10-90% and a max of +/-4% across the range) I've never had one that recorded above 98%. As Evening thunder above I just use an offset as even in thick condensing fog I was getting 98%.