Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DR(S)NO

Morrisons....Match and More....really?

Morrisons Match and More.....Really

So, in their infinite wisdom Morrisons are re jigging their loyalty card.....basically a More card....name matching here!! Move along now!!

Now, allegedly this is because their customers asked for change....they wanted it to be more simple...really?

Nothing at all to do with the fact that Morrisons can't do their sums properly? They should hold their hands up and admit they made an a#%e of it!!

So, 5 points per pound spent is it? That's what customers wanted? Let's base this example on a weekly shop of £60.... That's 300 points a week.....1200 a month( ish) and therefore a £5 voucher roughly every 4 months!!!

i reckon I'm like most customers....I've saved my £5 vouchers and am approaching £100 saved for Christmas....saved in around 10 months.

So ,by this new system I would need to spend...wait for it (drumroll please)... Yep, around £19200!!!

I think the real reason for this is far simpler....and another reason NOT to invest in Morrisons shares this Winter.........I've no idea what their customer base is number wise ...but let's just imagine that 100000 customers have decided to save their vouchers like me......and they've only saved £100....now , my shop is only £60 a week...

that will make £10,000,000 in FREE shopping this Christmas.......YES Morrisons will be giving away Millions of pounds of free shopping at a time when traditionally their margins will be at their lowest as they slug it out with their rivals!!!!

now, that's gotta hurt, eh?

that will make £10,000,000 in FREE shopping this Christmas.......YES Morrisons will be giving away Millions of pounds of free shopping at a time when traditionally their margins will be at their lowest as they slug it out with their rivals!!!!

now, that's gotta hurt, eh?

Retailers make far more money at Xmas than at any other time of year due to increased volume. Their costs are roughly the same than at any other time (except a small increase in labour costs) but they'll have a massive increase in sales. Loyalty schemes across most retailers have been scaled back, Sainsbury's have reduced their scheme by quite a margin too.

Tesco have scaled their 'Clubcard' scheme back quite drastically too. Shame about the Morrisons scheme, it's not even been going in its current format for very long and the main appeal of it was the 'Match' part rather than the 'More' for us i.e. it was 'supposed' to mean you weren't cheaper shopping elsewhere. It encouraged us to give Morrisons an extended trial, taking us away from Tesco (the only 2 real choices around here as much as I like Aldi & Lidl, when shopping for a family of 5 it's difficult with them to get everything in the one place and/or at the same time).

With Morrisons we've probably averaged a £5 voucher about 2 out of every 3 weeks, so it's been quite good for us. Middle son now has a weekend job there so we'll probably keep shopping there to benefit from his 10% staff discount.

Retailers make far more money at Xmas than at any other time of year due to increased volume. Their costs are roughly the same than at any other time (except a small increase in labour costs) but they'll have a massive increase in sales. Loyalty schemes across most retailers have been scaled back, Sainsbury's have reduced their scheme by quite a margin too.

Hi Catch, yes I get exactly what you are saying....I think that the extra volume may well help ....but certainly margins are reduced at this time of year .

Tbh I was just having a rant as I've done pretty well out of it!!

It will be interesting, however , to see their post Christmas figures.

Given that Morrisons serve over 10 million customers per week on average....my figures were also based on a relatively low weekly spend.....I can see that Morrisons may take a rather large hit.

That's a lot of Free shopping their going to be giving away.

Had the letter the other day. We too were getting a voucher every 4 or 5 weeks, now it will be about 2 a year!

Had the letter the other day. We too were getting a voucher every 4 or 5 weeks, now it will be about 2 a year!

Sod that - Nisa, Iceland and Tesco are all nearer...

Morrisons have never been the same since Ken Morrison vacated his position . They pay less than their rivals  to the farmers for milk and then introduce a new milk brand where it's the actual customer (general public) who are paying the extra .  We use to only shop at Morrisons but now go to Tesco and Asda   more often .

Supermarkets... they're all the same to me and I go to whichever takes my fancy on the day. However, my wife took an elderly,non-English speaking lady to Lidl about six months ago. She got her bits and bobs while my wife waited in the car, in Lidl's car park. Not long after that she got a photo of her car in the post with a fine for £90, for violation of parking rules. We don't use Lidl so weren't aware of their 'arrangements' and the lady whom she was doing the favour for doesn't understand the whole thing. I later visited Lidl on foot to check out the signage about parking. It's about 15 ft in the air, quite small and directly above a junction where any sane driver's mind will be focussed entirely on traffic. Needless to say it hasn't, or ever will be paid, and any thoughts I may have had about becoming a Lidl customer have evaporated for good.