Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wildswimmer Pete

Euro-nanny Strikes!

The back of my washing-up liquid (the one that leaves your hands as soft as your face) has the "harmful" pictogram (now an exclamation mark instead of an "X") on the rear.  I understand this was toned down from "corrosive".  Apparently the formulation of said product hasn't changed so basically WTF?

I've just put a splodge of said product into my wetsuit boots a a lubricant for when I go swimming shortly.  Just hope when I pull them off my feet will still be attached to my legs. :shok:

Looks like the nanny super-state has struck.

I should point out that I'm fully Hazchem trained so can smell chemical BS from 500ft.  The health hazard posed by that product (and similar) is as it's always been: severe irritant to the eyes.  But to the skin? (Note to self - buy some PVC-dipped "chemical" gloves to wash my dishes).

Oh hell! I just looked at the bottle of washing up liquid I bought this morning, it's a small bottle of "U's Ultra degraissant" and it's got the "corrosive symbol" on the back label. I think I'll stick to the shower gel I used last night! In all seriousness, I try to avoid products with sodium laureth sulphate and "Bitrex" (stops kids drinking the nice fruit and berry flavours apparently) and usually buy an ecological brand, but I've just delved into the recycling to look at my old "Carrefour Eco Planete" bottle that expired yesterday (I was feeling too lurgy ridden to drive to Carrefour this morning). It's got the "exclamation mark" symbol - one better, but scary for an ecological product. Do I dare wash up tonight - or do I risk being found as a dissolved stain on the kitchen floor?(!) I'm sticking with Rainette, L'Arbre Vert or Ecover in future, as much because they are less likely to need to waste paper and ink printing rubbish, as anything to do with the environment.

It seems this is a new symbol to replace the old "corrosive" one.

I have now put the caustic, toxic, skin eroding bottle to the back of the cupboard for a washing up liquid emergency. I was getting dermatitis between my fingers even with gloves, because I was sensitive to just handling the washing up.

I bought Rainett today and there are no warning symbols, just the obvious text like don't use it was a mouth or eye wash because it won't do you any good. Smells divinely of natural lemon and my hands have stopped screaming.

Oh hell! I just looked at the bottle of washing up liquid I bought this morning, it's a small bottle of "U's Ultra degraissant" and it's got the "corrosive symbol" on the back label. I think I'll stick to the shower gel I used last night! In all seriousness, I try to avoid products with sodium laureth sulphate and "Bitrex" (stops kids drinking the nice fruit and berry flavours apparently) and usually buy an ecological brand, but I've just delved into the recycling to look at my old "Carrefour Eco Planete" bottle that expired yesterday (I was feeling too lurgy ridden to drive to Carrefour this morning). It's got the "exclamation mark" symbol - one better, but scary for an ecological product. Do I dare wash up tonight - or do I risk being found as a dissolved stain on the kitchen floor?(!) I'm sticking with Rainette, L'Arbre Vert or Ecover in future, as much because they are less likely to need to waste paper and ink printing rubbish, as anything to do with the environment.

It seems this is a new symbol to replace the old "corrosive" one.

The two pictograms are different.  The "harmful" "!" means something generally harmful but not specifically corrosive.  The other one with the test-tube pouring something onto a pitted hand means "corrosive" ie strong acids or strong bases like caustic soda and bleach.  That's why chlorine-based toilet bleach sometimes has two pictograms, the "harmful" "!"applies to chlorine, the "corrosive" one applies because sodium hypochlorate is strongly alkaline.  Never mix bleach with other cleaners because for example Harpic contains hydrochloric acid, mixing chlorine bleach with any acid will release copious quantities of chlorine gas, something best well avoided.

• Spring warmth and sunshine this weekend but we've got to stay at home

In normal times we'd be talking about the excellent timing of the sunshine and warmth coming through at the weekend. But of course,a0these aren't normal times, so even though temperatures could get to 20-21c in places tomorrow, we're all going to have to enjoy it from home. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Weather forecasting concerns as number of aircraft observations plummet

Changes in the weather world as observations reduce from aircraft and on land in the time of global pandemic. Less initial data to input into the computer models. AMDAR AIREP Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1