Sign in to follow this  
Gray-Wolf

Would you press the button?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you press the Button?

• Yes
    • No

Seems this is up for debate again ( Good!!!) and at least one broadsheet asked the question with a yes/no option.

The last I looked it was a resounding 86% 'No'?

So what would we on NetWeather decide?

If it was the only option remaining then thats a yes from me 

What thee button Billy :0.. Sorry couldn't resist the Rodger waters chaos lyrics , if I knew they were comming then yes I would ..

What thee button Billy :0.. Sorry couldn't resist the Rodger waters chaos lyrics , if I knew they were comming then yes I would ..

Could I ask Why?

• Like 1

No.

If this is the question I think it is but it will never happen anyway again.

A couple of tunes called push the button.

• Like 1

Could I ask Why?

shure, if I'm going to burn so are they !!post-9614-0-84723500-1443896505_thumb.jp Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 2

I lived through the worst nail-biting period of my life: the October 1962 Cuba crisis when we were on the brink of nuclear Armageddon.  I was (still am?) a volunteer for a Government agency (no names, no pack drill) monitoring civil nuclear "accidents", although I used my own kit.

That's why I voted "No" because I know the consequences of a nuclear exchange.

• Like 1

There are infinitely more ways out of our human problems than nuclear annihilation. We are supposed to be an intelligent species. Would a dog or an orang utan push the button on his or her own species - no way - he or she is too busy interacting with them and immersed in the "now" and ensuring the survival of the whole species. No country is worth it, no region, no political or religious belief. Human beings need something to unite them as a species - this is where I think I'm slightly autistic about conflict, I don't do it and I don't get it. Maybe we do need an extra-terrestrial contact...but if that is all that will save us, then I'm pretty pessimistic.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

It would depend upon the circumstances. If a tyrant such as Hitler needed to be stopped and there was no other way, then yes.

A question for those who say no, if, for example, a country had the means and the inclination to achieve worldwide dominance but in the process enslaved all citizens from other countries whilst exterminating all people with brown coloured eyes, and the only way to prevent this was by pressing the button would you do so then?

An extreme example perhaps, but then some religions are too...

• Like 4

It would depend upon the circumstances. If a tyrant such as Hitler needed to be stopped and there was no other way, then yes.

A question for those who say no, if, for example, a country had the means and the inclination to achieve worldwide dominance but in the process enslaved all citizens from other countries whilst exterminating all people with brown coloured eyes, and the only way to prevent this was by pressing the button would you do so then?

An extreme example perhaps, but then some religions are too...

Still "no", because right up until the moment of death (and sometimes that moment is the defining one) there is time for reason to prevail.

Sorry I may be being thick here but what exactly does this button do?  :cc_confused: There is no corresponding thread, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be answering. Lol

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 2

Sorry I may be being thick here but what exactly does this button do?  :cc_confused: There is no corresponding thread, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be answering. Lol

Err............it launches our Trident dinosaur...............sorry, deterrent.

When I was a teenager it was my greatest ambition!  

Since then I have grown up a bit and instead I just want to sit on a hill-top watching the comet fall :D 

I wouldn't launch a preemptive strike ,but if all is lost in diplomacy and their warheads are coming what other options do you have ??

I'm sure I could envisage some rather desperate scenarios where the nuclear option starts to seem less scary than not using it at all... so a yes from me. 

I'd not strike first unless a superior enemy force was actually invading however if a nuke was on the way to London then yes, my last act would be to reap vengeance upon them and slaughter as many of them as i could.

Think of it this way. If somebody down the road butchered your wife and children but he would never be prosecuted and brought to justice even though you saw him do it. Would you not slaughter he and his family. 

• Like 1

Most definitely not. Under any circumstances. I wouldn't want to be the person to kill thousands of innocent people just to get at a certain person or group. Even as a launch because it's coming thing it would be a pointless waste of life just for last minute revenge. 

I'd not strike first unless a superior enemy force was actually invading however if a nuke was on the way to London then yes, my last act would be to reap vengeance upon them and slaughter as many of them as i could.

Think of it this way. If somebody down the road butchered your wife and children but he would never be prosecuted and brought to justice even though you saw him do it. Would you not slaughter he and his family. 

Nope I wouldn't. 

• Like 1

So it's ok for them to annihilate us but we spare them because you don't want blood on you hands ??.

So it's ok for them to annihilate us but we spare them because you don't want blood on you hands ??.

It's not the people it's one or two of them and revenge is never the answer. 

• Like 2

It's not the people it's one or two of them and revenge is never the answer.

so I your opinion the aggressor wins and we die over a moral principle ,although when you're turned into charred dust it doesn't matter anymore :0...

so I your opinion the aggressor wins and we die over a moral principle ,although when you're turned into charred dust it doesn't matter anymore :0...

Exactly, why ruin the whole planet, or would you prefer the human race to be totally annihilated over losing a war. I would prefer to give people a chance to start over. 

• Like 1

Would it be 100% certain that the enemy was coming/had fired if we thought they had?

I remember seeing on some documentary that there was an occasion where it appeared Russian systems had detecting incoming American missiles, however the man on duty felt or realised this was a false alarm. It is perceivable that if he had trusted the warning system Russia would have retaliated..

Edit: this is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

There is probably some conceivable situation where pressing the butten on someone may be better than not.. but many where it would not be the better option. Also not sure if I could actually do it, so I cannot answer the question better than 'probably not'.

Edited by Evening thunder