Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

Denis Healey 1917-2015

The former deputy Labour leader and Chancellor, Denis Healey has died aged 98.

I wonder if Healey had become leader in 1980, how Labour's fortune would have turned out?

Sad loss to the world of eyebrows.........

I liked the Man and so am saddened by his loss though 98 has to be a pretty good innings all said?

Sad loss to the world of eyebrows.........

I liked the Man and so am saddened by his loss though 98 has to be a pretty good innings all said?

I was suprised how old he was !!.

regardless of one's political leanings, he was a colossus of post war politics..RIP

Probably the worst post-war chancellor who was happy to fuel the class war against the well-off in the late 70s Callaghan govt.

Probably the worst post-war chancellor who was happy to fuel the class war against the well-off in the late 70s Callaghan govt.

Hello Bristle Boy,

I guess it made a change from the class war being waged by the Conservatives against the poor and most vulnerable in society or does class war only work one way?. He made mistakes, but then have not Tory chancellors done so also. The current one has repeatedly been way out on his forecasting. You seem to be so biased that you are unable to see the good in anyone unless they don a blue rosette.

I and some others on here try to adopt a more balanced approach. For my part, for example, believe that some of the Conservative politicians of the 1960's were rather good in their attempts to promote a One Nation philosophy.

RIP Silly Billy- Where would Mike Yarwood have been without you

Kind Regards

Dave

Hello Bristle Boy,I guess it made a change from the class war being waged by the Conservatives against the poor and most vulnerable in society or does class war only work one way?. He made mistakes, but then have not Tory chancellors done so also. The current one has repeatedly been way out on his forecasting. You seem to be so biased that you are unable to see the good in anyone unless they don a blue rosette.I and some others on here try to adopt a more balanced approach. For my part, for example, believe that some of the Conservative politicians of the 1960's were rather good in their attempts to promote a One Nation philosophy.RIP Silly Billy- Where would Mike Yarwood have been without youKind RegardsDave

Never been a member of the Conservative party so the blue rosette bit is a little odd.

And quit the personal "dear" intro in your posts.

He was part of a govt that couldnt even influence his 'own side' and was responsible for workers turning against workers in the 79 Winter of discontent.

Nuff said.

The former deputy Labour leader and Chancellor, Denis Healey has died aged 98.

I wonder if Healey had become leader in 1980, how Labour's fortune would have turned out?

There would almost certainly have been no SDP schism in 1981-82 but it's hard to see given other events how Mrs Thatcher wouldn't have won again in 1983 though with a smaller majority than she obtained against Foot.

In the 1983-87 period, the Conservatives started well but ran into problems notably following Heseltine's resignation. KInnock was awful, Healey would likely have been more effctive and the damage to Thatcher would have been much greater. Without a sufficient poll lead to go to the country in June 1987, Thatcher is forced to wait but the Crash in October of that year inflicts further damage on her and the Conservative record for economic management.

The spring 1988 election sees the Conservatives lose their majority and Healey, with the support of the Liberals under David Steel, becomes Prime Minister. Healey, with Smith as his Shadow Chancellor, doesn't take Britain into the ERM and after three years, retires allowing Smith to lead the Party into the 1992 election where Labour wins with a tiny overall majority. Smith's death in 1994 paves the way for a young Tony Blair to become Prime Minister nd he wins a landslide in 1997 and the rest is history....

Never been a member of the Conservative party so the blue rosette bit is a little odd.

And quit the personal "dear" intro in your posts.

He was part of a govt that couldnt even influence his 'own side' and was responsible for workers turning against workers in the 79 Winter of discontent.

Nuff said.

Bristle Boy, good to see you Bristling. You must be hallucinating as at no time did I begin my posting with an endearment.

You may not be a Conservative party member, but I get the impression, perhaps incorrectly that you are an apologist for anything leaning rather way towards the right.

As far as Mr Healey was concerned he was a far braver man than either you or I will ever be. I commend you to read a number of articles in today's Sunday Express (see I read a wide range of papers across the political spectrum in order to be better informed) which details his record of his war time record on the Normandy beaches.

In fairness to Mr Cameron he has also made a very moving tribute to Mr Healey. He highly respected the former Labour Chancellor

Nuff Said