Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Essex Easterly

To the techies: IP Cam setup

Hey guys,

I have my weather station setup once again, running cumulus, and on the net. I've since bought an IP camera, and my aim is to have my site redirect to a live stream of this cam.

I basically need to forward my IP camera out onto the web, hook it to a domain (dyndns?) and then redirect my website to that page, hopefully using some sort of iframe to embed the feed into my homepage. 

I'm currently in the process of mounting the camera onto the side of the house, but would be interested in any ideas you have which would help me get the camera onto the web?

I was thinking, port forward the camera feed out onto the net, I'm unsure how to do this, could I do this with apache web server? port forward the IP cam private ip to my public IP, have apache dish that out, link that with dyndns, and then redirect my site to the stream's dyn domain? 

I don't want to use FTP as there's no option for live feed on my cam using its software, and all I've managed so far with it is to have it upload snapshots after detecting motion.

Also, the current feed from the camera also includes resolution/pan/IR controls, so I'm going to need to somehow limit this from users viewing the stream!

Also, if I've got this totally wrong, could anyone with some technical know-how assist me with an alternative idea to accomplish what I want. :)

Any idea's are apprechiated :)

Maybe try Yawcam or something?
Which model is it, often they are producing a live feed you can use, however to view it fully online rather than over your own network you'll need to port forward.
Also there is a risk of too many viewers overloading your connection which would mess up your internet and possibly annoy your ISP.
This is why Yawcam might be best as they do the actual hosting from your feed.
I would do stills perhaps every minute to be honest.
Sometimes people will sit on your page for hours, or forget the window is open - happens a lot with mine which would be serious if it was live feed rather than stills.

Hey 4wd, thanks for the reply, the model is a Foscam FI9803P.

That's a good point you raise on people sitting on the site, forgetful and hogging bandwidth, my upload rate is 16Mb/s, so I'm not sure whether that would be an issue for me or not.

With a previous IP cam I owned, a Sricam, also had issues with ftp upload, but I was able to download an extremal application, hook onto the feed on the local network and then push it out via their ftp application. I could do that again, but the quality wasn't great and it wasn't the most stable of applications (I can't actually remember what it was called now).

The issue I did have with uploading stills, (and I'd also imagine this would happen with a live feed redirect), is that using an iframe there was some sort of issue, (I need to replicate it), but it ended up with me needing to insert some code to refresh the whole website in order to refresh the frame, which was a pain)

Anyway, I'll have a look at yawcam after I've got the cam mounted, and let you know how it goes :)

Thanks 

Just downloaded Yawcam, looks very good!

Having a few issues with cumulus/station itself right now, it keeps intermittently disconnecting, I've just changed it over to a new system (XP SP3) with all updates, I may try a new USB cable, the one I have is third party and a bit meh. Since the reconnect, all data that has been stored by the data logger has not been 'accepted' by Cumulus, my trends are not showing new data, just a static figure from roughly 1pm to 3pm, I'm about to ask for help with this on the Cumulus forums.

I've decided to take your advice and use FTP to do a 1s upload. I have 2 questions now, although I'm not sure you'll be able to help me with them

The first is, after configuring the FTP upload to my site, and embedding a link (frame) into the homepage of my site (benfleetweather.uk) of the snapshot,

1. How do I make it automatically refresh?

2. How do I resize the frame into my homepage, I've tried this before with an iframe, and instead of resizing the jpg snap itself, it just cropped its resolution, so I only see 1/4 of the image lol.

Any assistance from any members is greatly appreciated! :D 

Thanks PIT, it looks like you've done a hell of a lot of set up work on your site for all of them features to work, and I've noticed that there's a lot of workarounds to be done for viewers to see a live feed, not sure I feel about that lol.

I'm off out now to go see the Southend fireworks display, but will continue working on my setup tomorrow, out of curiosity, what software package do you use for your live weather display feed? Cumulus? and also, with your live feeds for weather webcams, is there any port forwarding involved?

Not really just enabling upnp and then providing links to the ip address and port numbers.

Hey again, sorry I've not responded to this thread in a long time!

I spent a while trying to get software to pick the cam up, yawcam didn't work, webcam XP didn't work, H264cam didn't work, but I eventually settled on Blue Iris, which is working pretty good.

There are a few issues still though!

Firstly is the webcam image on my webcam page http://benfleetweather.uk/webcam.htm isn't centralised to the table, and I'm unsure how to fix this.

Also, inside Chrome every 3rd update breaks the jpeg (and the 1st and 2nd updates are of the same timestamp)

Works fine in IE, not tried Firefox, I'm also going to ask on BI forums how to set up the scheduled recording, as that's too not working lol

Hmm... I'm using Blue Iris and it records security cams as well as updating the WX image.
Firstly your webpage looks OK to me on the laptop.
The image is inline with the text.
It will depend on the viewer's screen size and resolution though, it's a bit of a minefield using old fashioned tables now that almost half traffic comes from 'mobile' devices such as ipads and phones.
In simple html you can usually centre things with <center></center> tags around them.
If it's all some kind of template and you can't edit the html you may be stuck unless you can make a new page with it on or something.
(how about a link to the webcam URL direct?)

Not sure about the other BI issues, mine will be the older version now but I expect the basics are the same.
It is quite complicated but very 'smart' what you can do in all the sub-menus.
Trouble is it's been chugging away untouched for about three years and I'd have to start playing about with it to rediscover how I have it set.
Probably best ask on their forum as you said!

Hmm... I'm using Blue Iris and it records security cams as well as updating the WX image.

Firstly your webpage looks OK to me on the laptop.

The image is inline with the text.

It will depend on the viewer's screen size and resolution though, it's a bit of a minefield using old fashioned tables now that almost half traffic comes from 'mobile' devices such as ipads and phones.

In simple html you can usually centre things with <center></center> tags around them.

If it's all some kind of template and you can't edit the html you may be stuck unless you can make a new page with it on or something.

(how about a link to the webcam URL direct?)

Not sure about the other BI issues, mine will be the older version now but I expect the basics are the same.

It is quite complicated but very 'smart' what you can do in all the sub-menus.

Trouble is it's been chugging away untouched for about three years and I'd have to start playing about with it to rediscover how I have it set.

Probably best ask on their forum as you said!

Thanks for the sharp reply 4wd!

I've tried setting up scheduled profiles for my camera, making sure all days have a profile assigned to them (for FTP upload) and also a new profile for a specific day, where the 'event' was set to start/stop record at a specific time, 00:01 - 11:59 on the same day.

I did test this out with a small 1 minute recording a few days ago and it seemed to work fine, but I'm unsure what I've done wrong this time, I'll upload some screenshots in a bit.

The webcam image looks centralized on my screen too, until you move the window in, or are viewing it on a lower resolution monitor, it will only centralize within in the template itself, once the template is pushed to the far left due to a low resolution, or a window size change, the webcam image doesn't shift any further left. I've tried the html alignment but due to the templates it's not working properly. I would like some sort of template on the page, as all my links and banner are there, so ain't too keen on linking directly to the image upload. I have seen someone sort out my issue on another forum, so maybe they could give me a bit of advice!

I will post a message on the other forum about each of my issues but thanks for the help, I'm sure its just a silly issue I've missed with the recording, I eventually want to schedule daily time lapses maybe 3 days a week, upload them to YouTube and then embed the playlist into the site. So much to do, I'd like to set up live streaming, but I need to reconfigure the router for that, which I've not done for about 7 years, I'd also like to switch the template over to php, and also add forecasts, and realtime updates. I have a lot to learn :p

Sorted out the recording schedule now. Scrapped the schedule, just manual record late at night, then stop it 2 days later :)

I was originally going to edit the files in movie maker to speed up the fps, but first had codec issues, spent hours fixing that, then found out you cant change playback speed in movie maker 2.1, and that is all XP supports, (my remote weather pc is slow so I cannot upgrade)

Finally found VirtualDub, added the wmv plugin, then had to download ffdshow and configure it to use a certain codec for WMV8, finally got that working, now the recording is running (been going for 12 hours) should end up with a 1.6GB file after 24 hours roughly, then have to clip the start and end off (so it's midnight to midnight) export it as an avi (sigh, there goes my nice compression rate), reload it, change the fps, then export it again, then upload it.

Oh I also got my timelapse page up and a playlist embedded http://www.benfleetweather.uk/timelapse.htm

Was up until 7am lol 

I've since started using Blue Iris' integrated time lapse function, I have it creating a video with snaps every 5 seconds.

After 24 hours of recording I get a file size around 15mb lasting 5 minutes, I then run this in VirtualDub, trimming off the hours at the start and end so that it starts at midnight and ends at midnight (still haven't worked out recording schedules :p)

Export it as an AVI, (not sure of the file size this will amount to yet) and upload to youtube, stick it in my playlist :) I'm guessing the AVI will probably be around 1GB in size with it's horrible compression, just glad I have a decent upstream to upload with!

Quite a bit of work but a lot easier than my old work around, and gives me a good smooth time lapse :)