Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Largest diurnal temperature range you have experienced

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

What is the largest diurnal temperature range you have experienced?

Mine was in March 2012 when I recorded a maxima of 21°C and a minima of 0°C the following night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

July 19th, 2013 was my best. Minimum of 6.1C, maximum of 29.3C, so a range of 23.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I couldn't tell you the exact range, but we were in Scotland. Lovely hot day with day temps of low to mid 20's but felt a lot hotter and in the night it was cold enough to see your breath and a heavy frost the next morning.

Posted

I can't be sure to be honest,  nothing sticks out of the memory, I suspect it would be a start of 9 or 10 and a high in the low 30s, probably happened a number of times over the years. I've seen a 2C rise to a 32C at another place in Tasmania. Something else that stands out ( another category altogether but sort of related ) is difference in maximum temperature from one day to the next. The Hobart record is a 25C differential, a top of 35.1C to a maximum of 10.4C the next day. Back in the 80s.

Posted

We seem to have a thing for 20.5C ranges here..

28th Mar 2012: 20.5C (0.3C to 20.8C)

29th Mar 2012: 20.5C (-0.2C to 20.3C) (so it fell 21.0C from the 28th to the 29th.. guess that would be a day in the 0900-0900 system).

13th Jul 2013:  20.5C (8.7C to 29.2C) 

Also:

24th May 2010: 20.3C (4.6C to 24.9C)

19th Apr 2011: 20.0C (1.9C to 21.9C)

As for this year..

15th April: 19.9C (2.2C to 22.1C)

7th April: 19.8C (-0.7c to 19.1C) 

20th Apr: 19.4C (-0.6C to 18.8C)

Most of these could have been a couple degrees higher if it wasn't for the onset of a sea breeze, being a few miles from the coast.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Not experienced by myself, but an amazing range at Braemar yesterday (1.10.15). -2c to 22.7C! Braemar was both the warmest and the coldest place in the UK on the same day.

That also happened on the last day of September, with Braemar going from -1.3C to 24.0C. In fact this was both the coldest and warmest temperature recorded in the UK during September!  :blink2:

See http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries

The UK monthly extremes were as follows: A maximum temperature of 24.0 °C was recorded at Braemar (Aberdeenshire) on the 30th, and a minimum temperature of -1.3 °C was recorded at Braemar (Aberdeenshire), also on the 30th. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

At the top end of Glenurquart, in late June/early July 1995: 1-2C first thing and 31-33C by mid-afternoon...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

9th May 1978 for me. The same day the UK record was set at Tummel Bridge. I was in the next valley to the South near Aberfeldy around 9 miles away and recorded from -5C to +21C.
In Calgary in 1988 or 1989 I recall going from not much above freezing to nearly 30C in one day.

Edited by Norrance

• 8 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Of recent times here it was 30th March 2021, morning around 3C, afternoon 22C = range of 19C.

Biggest diurnal ranges tend to be in spring, sometimes early summer then also early autumn ish. Usually during high pressure but with not overly warm air aloft maybe following a dry northerly, just the power of a stronger sun helping temperatures climb up after a calm chilly night. That's what happened early June 1962. On the 8th, minimum at Santon Downham was -2.8C, maximum was 25.6C, range of just over 28C. Rickmansworth another during late August 1936 climbing from 1C to 29C.

-7C on the 9th at Tummel Bridge near Pitlochry, afternoon it reached 22C, a range of 29C is one of the current records.

17th March 2003, Altnaharra apparantly went from -9C to 18C - a new March record for Scotland. Similar again same spot next month, 18th April had 24.5C maximum to -3.7C min next night according to Trevor Harley.

End of December 1995 on the 30th I think of course a big one, a record breaking -27C to around 2C in Altnaharra same day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

September is usually good for these in Edmonton ..most recent example i could find in the last 10 years only was Sept 7, 2017 went from 1.2c in the morning to 32.6c in the afternoon range of 31.4c  

• Like 1