Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Winters over already would love to be wrong think if you want snow and cold move to canada

Right, closing the thread folks, discussion is now over... :fool:

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The last time I checked, winter ended on 28 February? :D

Might want to check again, 29th February this time :D

• Like 4

Posted

I think i posted similar in the last 2 years pre-Winter thread. Well, here goes again:

Winter 2009/10 and November/Dec 2010 has clouded people's judgement on UK Winter expectations.

They were v unusual for the UK winters.

In my lifetime only 81/82 Winter came close to them for an early start esp down these parts. Dec 81 was a snowy cold one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I think i posted similar in the last 2 years pre-Winter thread. Well, here goes again:

Winter 2009/10 and November/Dec 2010 has clouded people's judgement on UK Winter expectations.

They were v unusual for the UK winters.

In my lifetime only 81/82 Winter came close to them for an early start esp down these parts. Dec 81 was a snowy cold one.

In general, I agree with your point, but I don't think that anticipating some cold weather with a bit of snow after two warm, almost snowless winters in the South is that unreasonable.

• Like 3

Posted

In general, I agree with your point, but I don't think that anticipating some cold weather with a bit of snow after two warm, almost snowless winters in the South is that unreasonable.

Nor do i.

Then again i think of periods 71-77 down here and late 90s to mid-noughties.

Posted

Nor do i.

Then again i think of periods 71-77 down here and late 90s to mid-noughties.

Late-90s to 2005 were pretty lousy, but not utterly snowless here.  I recall the winter of '99-00 included some snow (I was at our local college completing my A-levels and I recall there being a couple or three days of there being snow on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Late-90s to 2005 were pretty lousy, but not utterly snowless here.  I recall the winter of '99-00 included some snow (I was at our local college completing my A-levels and I recall there being a couple or three days of there being snow on the ground.

Feb-Mar 2005 had good snow for eastern England. Can't remember a year when we didn't get some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Feb-Mar 2005 had good snow for eastern England. Can't remember a year when we didn't get some snow.

Apart from 2013-14, neither can I. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Apart from 2013-14, neither can I. :D

2013-14 was the only winter I can remember without a single day with lying snow here and we're not exactly on low ground.

We usually have at least one period of a few days with several inches of snow and ice days but that winter was truly abysmal.

Hopefully not to be repeated again this time around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

2013-14 was the only winter I can remember without a single day with lying snow here and we're not exactly on low ground.

We usually have at least one period of a few days with several inches of snow and ice days but that winter was truly abysmal.

Hopefully not to be repeated again this time around.

Tues 11th Feb '14, my only day, around 2cms in the morning, full thaw by 2pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Indeed.  19th-21st December 1999 and 3rd/4th March 2000 had widespread snow cover across the north and east of East Anglia.

I recall that 7-10 February 1999, 1st/2nd March 2001, late-December 2001, 30 January 2003, 28 January 2004 and 26-29 February 2004 were also pretty snowy for much of East Anglia, again particularly the north and east.  Also more locally around 5-7 December 1998 and 22 December 2003.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Tues 11th Feb '14, my only day, around 2cms in the morning, full thaw by 2pm

The irony of it though was that on the whole it wasn't really mild, just the wrong side of marginal and on many days, a couple of degrees lower would have been the difference between the sleety mess which fell and a full blown blizzard.

Posted

also few flakes on Thursday 30th Jan '14, high levels must have had a good covering, turned less cold here later on 30th

Posted

I have suggested a separate thread to discuss winters past etc, events, so this one sticks to posts about the upcoming winter.

Now may be a good time for such a thread?

Posted

Indeed.  19th-21st December 1999 and 3rd/4th March 2000 had widespread snow cover across the north and east of East Anglia.

I recall that 7-10 February 1999, 1st/2nd March 2001, late-December 2001, 30 January 2003, 28 January 2004 and 26-29 February 2004 were also pretty snowy for much of East Anglia, again particularly the north and east.  Also more locally around 5-7 December 1998 and 22 December 2003.

Thanks for the details mate!  I recall the late January 2003 snow as I was in my final Undergraduate year at UEA and was doing a research project which saw me spending a fair bit of my time in a third-floor lab overlooking the slope down to University Broad (for anyone who knows the campus).  It was pretty bleak that day seeing the snow falling heavily from a leaden sky, but also quite picturesque.

Posted

The irony of it though was that on the whole it wasn't really mild, just the wrong side of marginal and on many days, a couple of degrees lower would have been the difference between the sleety mess which fell and a full blown blizzard.

surprised you didn't see much at 300m asl, I always thought it was a snowy winter for hills in the north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I did post this in the banter thread but I'll ask here. Has anyone got the link to the Model output thread for Nov/Dec 2010? Can't seem to find it in the archives.

I asked this question last year as I was interested in a read back through them...however, I was informed they had been deleted - presumably to save bandwith. 

Unfortunate as they would be quite the hit still. The amazing march we had (I believe) a couple of years back is still there. 

Was it 12 or 13? Can't remember at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

surprised you didn't see much at 300m asl, I always thought it was a snowy winter for hills in the north

252 asl but alas west side, not east, same as ian61

Too much moisture I guess, mush not powder. Only thing I hate about winter is the bleeding cold incessant  rain.

Posted

I asked this question last year as I was interested in a read back through them...however, I was informed they had been deleted - presumably to save bandwith. 

Unfortunate as they would be quite the hit still. The amazing march we had (I believe) a couple of years back is still there. 

Was it 12 or 13? Can't remember at the moment.

March 2013 wasn't it?

A reel shame about the 2010 Model output thread, would of made a fascinating read.

• Like 1

Posted

Too much moisture I guess, mush not powder. Only thing I hate about winter is the bleeding cold incessant  rain.

Damn sight better than mine, yeah all I tend to get is rain, would rather have 12C and dry

Posted

Yes altitude is on our side but location on the western up slopes of the Pennines tends to keep it damp and mild with the slightly colder, drier air tending to be on the eastern side.

That said though frontal snow, when we occasionally get it can dump large amounts.

Just a shame it's as rare as hens teeth over recent winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

March 2013 wasn't it?

A reel shame about the 2010 Model output thread, would of made a fascinating read.

Totally agree with you, the build up was something else.....Shame :cray:

Anybody got one of these i could borrow....ICE AGE anyone :D

tardis_in_the_snow_by_geth01.jpg

Edited by Dancerwithwings