Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Ah, come on Nick - it's all related to the upcoming winter. I think mods should back away from the 'no off topic posts ever' stance. That being said, feel free to move to the autumn thread as I find it an interesting topic.

I said England - more specifically low-land England, where the vast majority of people live. Most places in low-land England actually average less than 1 day of snow falling in November, and certainly less than 1 day with snow on the ground.

SnowFall_Average_1981-2010_11.gif

SnowLying_Average_1981-2010_11.gif

Oops, I understood your comment as meaning the whole winter period for some reason. Nevermind. It's been a long day... as you were!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Average to slightly above average temps (far southeast)

2cat_20151101_temp2m_months35_global_det

I've learnt to take long range model temperature anomalies with a pinch of salt, I remember reading that they're designed moreso to predict sea surface temperature than anything else. I pay more attention to the height anomalies.

According to that we're pretty much the coldest area (relative to average) on our latitude.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Taken from your report.....well Fergie updated today on Gloseas5 etc and that quote doesn't fit....where did that quote come from.  Fergie, if you read this...any ideas or poetic lincence?

BFTP  

I wonder if they picked up on an earlier update to Gloseas5 etc? Looking back, Fergie posted (#671) on page 34 of this thread:

"Note cautionary comment by seasonal team re increased SSW potential late season in today's update. In other words, the message remains consistent: coherent, cross-model support for notion of milder/wetter/poss stormier start to winter, but potential for colder flip later (this clearly v uncertain of course)."

What I don't get is how can you forecast a SSW a couple of months ahead, or am I misinterpreting the word sudden?

From reading the intro to the Strat Thread (ENSO section), the chance of a SSW is higher in an El Nino year. Quote from Chiono:

"Studies have shown that SSW’s are more likely during strong ENSO events".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Average to slightly above average temps (far southeast)

2cat_20151101_temp2m_months35_global_det

They always forecast 90% of the world to be well above average

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

They always forecast 90% of the world to be well above average

BFTP

Aye, Fred; that's because 90% of the world is 'well above average'? Whether we like it or not.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow blizzard

Feeling pretty negative about this winter... It just doesn't feel right so far and with nothing on the Horizon.... 

I know there s plenty of time left but there are too many factors against a cold one to ignore...

:-(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Feeling pretty negative about this winter... It just doesn't feel right so far and with nothing on the Horizon.... 

I know there s plenty of time left but there are too many factors against a cold one to ignore...

:-(

So far? Winter doesn't start for 3 weeks...

• Like 6

Posted

To be honest last winter there was a big buzz on the run up see how that winter turned out it.

I don't think there has ever been a build up to winter on here without high expectations in fairness!

• Like 1

Posted

I don't think there has ever been a build up to winter on here without high expectations in fairness!

Last year it was unprecedented with the bloody OPI no wonder his done a runner... :p

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Last winter was completely normal here so as ever location is important.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Some of the best winter spells have popped up out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some of the best winter spells have popped up out of nowhere.

Infact all of them have for me come to think of it.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

And some of my favourite snow events were in the middle of really crap winters! 

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Anyone expecting three months of storm force easterlies and -20 Uppers is going to be disappointed, not just this winter but probably every winter since the end of the LIA.

We talk about "cold winters" but in most instances that equates to spells of exceptionally severe weather which may or may not be long lasting. How many winters where Dec, Jan and Feb have all come in below average have there been in recent times ? I'm sure there have been some but then again it all depends on what figures you use - if you took the average of 1991-2010 you'd get plenty - if you took 1971-2000, not so many.

What we remember are the exceptional spells and we forget the average surrounding surrounding them - 1962-63 was average until Boxing Day and that was the coldest winter since 1739-40 by some measurements. 1946-47 was unexceptional until January 22nd. We all remember December 2010 but who remembers January and February 2011 ?

For me, the last memorable cold spell wasn't even in winter but in spring 2013 - near ice days in London in mid March.

Of course, a lot on here want snow but you can have cold without snow - a nice midwinter anticyclone and inversion. Perfectly possible to get an ice day in London in December or January under fog so those who argue El Nino might bring more HP may yet have cold with which to contend but the cold of fog and frost rather than snow.

In my part of lowland East London I've had no snow since the spring of 2013 but before that we had snow every winter back to 2005 albeit some years the snow fall was transient.

As for all the talk about the Polar Vortex - that's probably existed ever since the last Ice Age in one form or another. A strong PV doesn't "ruin" winter - it can promote Scandinavian blocking if correctly positioned and our old friend the SSW is a regular part of New Year forecasting.

There'll be time for forecasts nearer the start of winter but my money (and very nice money it is too) will be on an anticyclonic winter and perhaps, just perhaps, getting the HP in the right place for some decent inversion.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Fair few posters above me are right, winter is 3 weeks away!

The toy chucking is starting early this year...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Fair few posters above me are right, winter is 3 weeks away!

The toy chucking is starting early this year...

Great news, for Toys-R-Us, then? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Winters over already would love to be wrong think if you want snow and cold move to canada

How many sentences are within this 'phrase'?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Winters over already would love to be wrong think if you want snow and cold move to canada

Thanks, that was very insightful.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So far? Winter doesn't start for 3 weeks...

Can't see much of the white stuff falling this November though which sets me back to 2 days under par for snow going into winter  :wallbash:

Always feel snow potential proper starts from bonfire night onwards.