Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Historically a strong nino going into Winter is not great if looking for a below average season.

Just looking at all CET's for years where EN is at 1.5C or above going into November we can see no such season in recent times which has seen a cold Winter.

Year      CET

1957/8   4.2

1965/6   4.4

1972/3   4.9

1982/3   4.3

1987/8   5.3

1991/2   4.6

1997/8   6.1

The 1997/8 Winter was a very strong event-peaking at 2.3C which seems the way this one is heading.The anomaly charts for that Winter are a cold lovers nightmare which coincidently also saw a west based QBO.

attachicon.gifcompday.SfgeVPTPPO.gif

That pattern of mid-latitude  Euro blocking to the east and south along with the Atlantic trough meant we were on the warm side of the wavelengths for much of that Winter hence the high CET.

Of course no 2 seasons are exactly the same and even in zonal or westerly Winters we can't rule out colder snaps from the north or north west but these patterns don't see a lot of prolonged blocking at high latitudes.

The one caveat is later in the season the possibility of a Strat. warming which could split the vortex.

I hope the coming Winter bucks the trend of past strong Nino Winters but historical data is the reason i am not confident and why i lean towards an above average Winter overall.

sources

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/data/download.html

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/data/composites/printpage.pl

Looking deeper at your sample for the Jan-March period i don't actually think things would be that bad. Of the 21 months, 4 were 1C below average and 5 were 1C above average so more than half the months were relatively close to average.

Posted

Goes against nearly everything I've seen so far which has pointed towards a slightly cooler than average winter for NW Europe. Think knocker is trolling as per usual.

I've seen no such consensus view. All key seasonal modelling (EC, EUROSIP, GLOSEA5) has offered broad agreement on outline probabilities for at least 1st half of season. The potential for colder flip as suggested in GloSea was something I discussed some days back on seasonal forecast thread, so I won't duplicate here, plus UKMO blog explains this in digestible form.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looking deeper at your sample for the Jan-March period i don't actually think things would be that bad. Of the 21 months, 4 were 1C below average and 5 were 1C above average so more than half the months were relatively close to average.

My Winter CET figures are for er Winter(Dec-Feb.)SB. :cc_confused:

Posted
Historically a strong nino going into Winter is not great if looking for a below average season.

Just looking at all CET's for years where EN is at 1.5C or above going into November we can no such season in recent times which has seen a cold Winter.

Year CET

1957/8 4.2

1965/6 4.4

1972/3 4.9

1982/3 4.3

1987/8 5.3

1991/2 4.6

1997/8 6.1

With that said, 57/58 and 65/66 winter did produce some big snow events especially in '57 producing 20" of snow further south. Adding in 1930/1940/1941 strong el ninos did give UK snowy winters so can go either way when adding in these years.

Wasn't the 2009 El Nino peaking in November at around 1.55?

1957-58, 1965-66 and 1982-83 produced some interesting wintry episodes.

Jan1958f.jpg

Jan1958e.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

My Winter CET figures are for er Winter(Dec-Feb.)SB. :cc_confused:

I know. Does'nt matter to the point i made though, most of them are close to average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I know. Does'nt matter to the point i made though, most of them are close to average.

You did quote Jan-Mar though.I don't really see what point this makes anyway the overall season CET's are above average which is the main thrust of my analysis.

As WH shows above, and which i have already mentioned previously,short cold spells can never be ruled out in a zonal Winter but from what i can deduce from this historical data is that the odds are against an overall cold season.

I am just simply presenting the figures maybe to reign in expectations, which in our maritime climate is advisable anyway, but perhaps more so this year.

As i also said earlier i hope this Winter goes against history and we get some decent cold spells with HLB but i am not hopeful based on these past strong Nino Winters.

Here's hoping for a mid Winter stratospheric warming to come to the rescue. :)

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 3

Posted

Ok then, shall we all just hibernate and come back on the 15th Jan as it looks as though the first half of winter is a write off. Meto being quite bullish about this. However, the weather can and will make fools out of many. 09/10 springs to mind :)

Posted

HAHAHAH!!! all this talk is hilarious October the 30th and the writing is already on the wall for this winter. At this point I would just like to reiterate what seaside 60 wrote few posts back:

"However it must be noted that 28th oct 2010 there is no forecast of the mega cold spell that was coming"

especially so that we are in a situation atmospherically and SST wise not seen before, so in new territory i.e not many analogues to compare   

You misunderstand me I'm not making a prediction, all I'm doing is looking at strong Nino events and past winters.  The cold blob in the Atlantic is nothing unusual as that's what happens when the AMO starts to kick into its negative phase, granted past analogues with both a very strong Nino and that are few and far between if any. 

Posted

Non of the winter is a write-off for cold and snow yet. The forecasts aren't always going to be 100% the truth, anything can still happen.

I totally agree. There was a hint of sarcasm to my post :)

Posted

You misunderstand me I'm not making a prediction, all I'm doing is looking at strong Nino events and past winters.  The cold blob in the Atlantic is nothing unusual as that's what happens when the AMO starts to kick into its negative phase, granted past analogues with both a very strong Nino and that are few and far between if any.

Yes, I strongly believe the joker in the pack this winter is the cold pool in the atlantic and how that interacts with the strong el nino. Anyone issuing winter forecasts for 15/16 should not ignore this rare phenomenon :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

I find it rather amazing how many people are writing off winter and we are not even in November yet. The fact that models are showing no signs of cold is a good thing. Every year they show cold and and it never comes off. Maybe this year our cold will come out of the blue, just like it did in 09/10. Writing off winter this early is ridiculous!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

Evening folks....just curious..how do we look 2day against say 30/10/09 an 30/10/10? Im just intregued as i think some1 mentioned we got caught out with these years and the cold did we not??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Forecasts are educated guesses.. there are so many Individual, strong drivers present for different scenarios that this winter must be especially difficult to forecast this far in advance. That said, we have a temperate climate and generally do not experience massive extremes so as default that would be where my money is... Average

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Goes against nearly everything I've seen so far which has pointed towards a slightly cooler than average winter for NW Europe. Think knocker is trolling as per usual.

Trolling? Not sure how.

Just posting a potential option on the table. But as its not what coldies want to see no wonder it gets shot down...

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather regardless of the season, thunder storms, frost, snow

If you think someone is trolling, report it rather than point it out publicly, it just serves to derail the thread

And can we please drop this mildie -v- coldie nonsense please. 

Would be nice but can't see it happening any time soon. The worst part is that preferences can lead to confirmation bias when it comes to forecasting.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Would be nice but can't see it happening any time soon. The worst part is that preferences can lead to confirmation bias when it comes to forecasting.

Lets at least stop discussing it then, And move on to the thread topic in-hand. That is Winter 2015/16. 

Thanks, PM.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

I don't have high hopes for this winter. I mean look at Europe right now. If it wasn't for falling leaves I would think it's late spring. We are flooded with warm air and temperature is going up. These situations are also unbelievably stable. Not to mention it's dry as hell and our dams are already half empty (http://fm.denik.cz/galerie/poloprazdna-prehrada-sance.html). Another warm and dry winter after this year's scorching summer would mean some serious water shortages next spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

both 09/10 el nino and 97/98 both nov where mild above average.

post-9143-0-61670600-1446375650_thumb.gi

post-9143-0-31969300-1446375660_thumb.gi

but this year with increasing solar activity and strong nino id be more inclined to think wintry weather might well be late this year feb march!

possibly staying very mild until march although my first ideas would be a similar outcome to 97/98 the most likely.

which id like to add was awful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

both 09/10 el nino and 97/98 both nov where mild above average.

attachicon.gifRrea00120091101.gif

attachicon.gifRrea00119971101.gif

but this year with increasing solar activity and strong nino id be more inclined to think wintry weather might well be late this year feb march!

possibly staying very mild until march although my first ideas would be a similar outcome to 97/98 the most likely.

which id like to add was awful

I have to disagree with that statement we are definitely in a decreasing solar activity phase. Activity is similarish to 09 but the difference is that 09 was on the upside of the cycle whereas today we are on the downside. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

7th winter update from Gavin P

He says dry Octobers tends to followed by a colder than average Winter. I hope hes right. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

October 1997 was quite dry...