Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Han Bos

Is a remote temperatures sensor possible?

My question:

I work with horses and the daily problem is which rug do they need today. Light filled, more heavy filled? And how is the temperature during the day? Are they getting to warm? Do they need changing rugs? Not a problem if they were close by but the horses are about 500 meters from the yard, uphill and trees between the sheltered yard and the fields.

It would be so helpful if there a device so on the yard we could read the temperature in the fields.

Is this possible?

Hi, welcome to the forum - I've just edited the topic title to make it a bit more descriptive for people. 

I think it should be possible, there are plenty of remote temperature sensor / weather stations out there. It's just what range they have which may be the issue - perhaps with a repeater or something along the way you could get a wifi type signal from it though. Suspect others will be along with more technical answers which'll help you more though!

Thank you very much for editing and thank you for your welcome Paul!

I hope members will come with some brand suggestions! Additional information: there is no mobile signal over here. It is a bit of remote area. Internet has a speed of 0.6 MB (don't laugh....)

Normally we have 5 weather forecasts open on the computer because we like to take good care of the horses. Getting them in when the forecast is really bad etc, etc..

Han

The air temperature won't be as important as other factors such as sunny or cloudy, windy or calm, rainy or dry.
The field 500m away won't be that different to round the yard and our own perception of how warm it is will be a better guide, and we can also judge how it will be in an hour or two...

My question:

I work with horses and the daily problem is which rug do they need today. Light filled, more heavy filled? And how is the temperature during the day? Are they getting to warm? Do they need changing rugs? Not a problem if they were close by but the horses are about 500 meters from the yard, uphill and trees between the sheltered yard and the fields.

It would be so helpful if there a device so on the yard we could read the temperature in the fields.

Is this possible?

I've worked with instrumentation and over a 500m distance the best solution is a temperature sensor with a 4-20mA analogue signal.  4-20mA is current-sourced and the length of the line is pretty well unimportant.  You can use cheap twin-core bell wire for the job as 4-20 is immune to common-mode interference.  The "home" end could be 4-20mA temperature display or you could have a combined display/recorder.   This sort of kit can be found quite cheaply.

4WD: the stable yard is enclosed and pure south facing.

The fields are more up and more windy. The difference in temperature can be up to 5 degrees............

Wildswimmer Pete: thank you for your reply. Your solution sounds good but 500 meters of cable is quite long....and it need to go under 2 driveways.

4WD: the stable yard is enclosed and pure south facing.

The fields are more up and more windy. The difference in temperature can be up to 5 degrees............

Wildswimmer Pete: thank you for your reply. Your solution sounds good but 500 meters of cable is quite long....and it need to go under 2 driveways.

The problem of using a wireless link is the distance - domestic wireless links only have a range of about 10 metres (you could get more as long as there isn't any local interference).  You could use radio telemetry but it's expensive: transmitter, receiver, aerials and of course the licence needed.  Forget digital - you'd need an optical fibre and the associated transceivers.  I've done temperature measurement via 4-20mA on an industrial site using just cheap bell wire.  The voltage on a 4-20mA system is very low.  As long as you don't have to cross the public highway, you could run the wire underneath the drive through a length of PVC pipe.

Depends on how much time, money and effort you want to put in,

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534

This uses the 433/434Mhz range, same as most off the shelf weather sensors use, you could build the transmitter where the horses are, add a repeater half way and then your receiver at base, as long as it is one way traffic (which I assume it will be) that could work.

Depends on how much time, money and effort you want to put in,

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534

This uses the 433/434Mhz range, same as most off the shelf weather sensors use, you could build the transmitter where the horses are, add a repeater half way and then your receiver at base, as long as it is one way traffic (which I assume it will be) that could work.

Off-the-shelf weather sensors have a very restricted range - in the case of my Oregon Scientific station the maximum sensor range under good conditions is 30m (100ft) - Han Bos needs 500m.  Unfortunately you can't just build a radio transmitter even using the modules you describe, homebuilt devices won't meet Ofcom's regulations.  All "licence-free" 433/434Mhz devices sold in the UK have to be "CE" marked.  Likewise, a repeater isn't feasible even assuming you could build one and legally use it.  A repeater receives on one frequency, then re-transmits on a different frequency, otherwise you'll get the RF version of "howl-around".

There are devices fitted with sim-cards that afford mobile internet capabilities, intruder cameras for example.  Are there any weather stations available with mobile access that would allow remote monitoring temp. etc via the internet?

Edit: here's one http://holfuy.com/en/shop.php

"Every package contains a Holfuy main panel with a GPRS/GSM modem, a battery pack, a solar cell, a temperature sensor and free data storage with a monitor page at holfuy.hu,

Holfuy stations are ready to run in outdoor conditions.. After you put in a SIM card your station will automatically start to upload the actual weather data to it's own site at www.holfuy.hu No additional parts or programming needed.

Please select the best Holfuy modell for your area!"

Thank you very much for editing and thank you for your welcome Paul!

I hope members will come with some brand suggestions! Additional information: there is no mobile signal over here. It is a bit of remote area. Internet has a speed of 0.6 MB (don't laugh....)

Normally we have 5 weather forecasts open on the computer because we like to take good care of the horses. Getting them in when the forecast is really bad etc, etc..

Han

Off-the-shelf weather sensors have a very restricted range - in the case of my Oregon Scientific station the maximum sensor range under good conditions is 30m (100ft) - Han Bos needs 500m.  Unfortunately you can't just build a radio transmitter even using the modules you describe, homebuilt devices won't meet Ofcom's regulations.  All "licence-free" 433/434Mhz devices sold in the UK have to be "CE" marked.  Likewise, a repeater isn't feasible even assuming you could build one and legally use it.  A repeater receives on one frequency, then re-transmits on a different frequency, otherwise you'll get the RF version of "howl-around".

There are devices fitted with sim-cards that afford mobile internet capabilities, intruder cameras for example.  Are there any weather stations available with mobile access that would allow remote monitoring temp. etc via the internet?

Edit: here's one http://holfuy.com/en/shop.php

"Every package contains a Holfuy main panel with a GPRS/GSM modem, a battery pack, a solar cell, a temperature sensor and free data storage with a monitor page at holfuy.hu,

Holfuy stations are ready to run in outdoor conditions.. After you put in a SIM card your station will automatically start to upload the actual weather data to it's own site at www.holfuy.hu No additional parts or programming needed.

Please select the best Holfuy modell for your area!"

Appreciate that, but as there is poor internet and no mobile signal in the area you will need a local Tx/Rx setup, was suggesting the frequency as it is popular for short distance transmission (the point of it being used by weather sensors was just an example) and available off the shelf to assemble a bespoke setup.

• Weather forecasting concerns as number of aircraft observations plummet

Changes in the weather world as observations reduce from aircraft and on land in the time of global pandemic. Less initial data to input into the computer models. AMDAR AIREP Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

Michael Fish: 21c this weekend? But windy with it

Michael Fish brings us his latest weekly forecast, looking ahead to a warm weekend with highs up to 21c possible. Next week sees one or two swings in temperature and some rain at times, but there'll be plenty of mild, often sunny weather on offer. Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather