Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rain123

Smartphones

I am a self-confessed smartphone enthusiast, so I thought I would start a discussion on smartphones. I have a Moto G with 4G (1st gen). I think this should be an informal discussion, hence why I didn't put in in 'the techies' thread. I will try and answer any queries, if you have any.

The Chinese are starting to produce excellent smart phones. 

Would agree totally on that.

Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S6. I personally think Samsung phones are the best smartphones, certainly much better than iPhones, which I never intend on buying.

more than happy with the s6 :)..

I've got one of the cheapie Chinese ones - a ZTE KIS (how nice). I'm not a smartphone addict and I only use it for calls and texts, and quite a lot of the time it's not on. Most of my communication is by email. I've also got a new French mobile (a Samsung) which has a keypad (how quaint), and I prefer it because the battery life is so much better.

Just bought an LG Spirit. Tbh, I only chose it s it had a free tablet with it. Perfectly adequate for my needs, phone text & browsing. Nice to have an Android, after a couple of years with a Windows phone, which I loved by btw, it is good to be able to get access to decent apps, the only drawback with Windows phones.

I've got one of the cheapie Chinese ones - a ZTE KIS (how nice). I'm not a smartphone addict and I only use it for calls and texts, and quite a lot of the time it's not on. Most of my communication is by email. I've also got a new French mobile (a Samsung) which has a keypad (how quaint), and I prefer it because the battery life is so much better.

Does this have access to google play?

I was looking at a high spec tablet aimed at the Chinese market but was rather put off since it didn't.

Although I wanted it for a specific purpose with an app which is always best side loaded, you'd still want google maps and such really.

Would that be the original KIS, or a newer version?

Currently waiting for my 128GB iPhone 6S to be delivered tomorrow which is going to replace my current 6 model, never had a problem with Apple products, I've tried moving to Android but it just didn't work out too well so stuck to iPhone as the whole experience is better IMO. 

If theres a word called smart infront of any device its a spy machine track your every move.

I only caught the tail end of this.

Smartphone users can do "very little" to stop security services getting "total control" over their devices, US whistleblower Edward Snowden has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34444233

I have an S4 and very pleased with it. Never been a fan of Apple products. Grossly overpriced with features you can get for a fraction of the cost with a Samsung!

If theres a word called smart infront of any device its a spy machine track your every move.

I only caught the tail end of this.

Smartphone users can do "very little" to stop security services getting "total control" over their devices, US whistleblower Edward Snowden has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34444233

On my iPhone "Location Services" ie GPS are switched off so I can only be traced to be somewhere in that particular cell.  I keep the services turned off because the battery lasts much longer.  The one risk of any takeover is over interweb via WiFi (although I do have WiFi enabled).

I changed my iphone and now have the Moto G 3 (3rd generation) first android phone I have had...battery life is excellent performance is great and was £500 cheaper than the iphone 6s or Samsung 6 so very pleased with it.

More than happy with my iPhone, previously had an Samsung and it was awful - glad to get shot of it.

I sent my iPhone 6S back to Apple and kept my 6, yeah it had some nice new features but with very little overall change from the iPhone 6 I couldn't justify the extra cost! Also Apple decided to go backwards with the 6S and gave it a smaller battery to accommodate the new tech inside and the battery was just adequate in the 6 without it being made even smaller!   

I changed my iphone and now have the Moto G 3 (3rd generation) first android phone I have had...battery life is excellent performance is great and was £500 cheaper than the iphone 6s or Samsung 6 so very pleased with it.

I have one of the first gen motoG, it's the 16GB version as there's no SD slot

It's about three years old now and still copes very well, don't think it's ever crashed and is on latest android version now.

The only downside is mediocre but not awful camera, the more recent ones seem to have improved that a lot.

Nexus 5. Best phone I've ever had. Build quality is fantastic.

Worst was the Iphone 3s. Didn't like the OS and the screen smashed easily.

Leaning towards the Nexus 6 or 6p.

I trust Motorola, the 6p is by some Chinese company.

I hear Motorola have been bought by Lenovo.
So probably the current model will be the last one to stand out from the sea of mediocreness.
Wileyfox Swift looks interesting if they get going properly.

I hear Motorola have been bought by Lenovo.

So probably the current model will be the last one to stand out from the sea of mediocreness.Wileyfox Swift looks interesting if they get going properly.

Are Lenovo products any good.

The worst manufacturer to me is LG. My experience of their products is that they break.

I think it's more that Lenovo aren't very good at innovation.
They took over IBM but now a lot of their products seem dated though reasonable value.
At Motorola it sounds like the development team have been much reduced. 

I have one of the first gen motoG, it's the 16GB version as there's no SD slot

It's about three years old now and still copes very well, don't think it's ever crashed and is on latest android version now.

The only downside is mediocre but not awful camera, the more recent ones seem to have improved that a lot.

Mine is the 8GB version couldn't justify the extra £60 for the 16GB but it does have a SD slot..13mp back camera and 5mp front camera all very nice. I bought my son the 1st generation for xmas nearly 3 years ago and like you said it still a very nice phone and hes very happy with it still..one reason I picked the Motorola.