Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikecollie

Does the "environment" have rights?

I heard a good view put forward on NatGeo last night, humans are part of the environment so whatever we do is part of nature. Its actually quite a thought provoking statement.

The environment and Earth will recover , we are just a disease that the planet will shake off eventually ..

The environment and Earth will recover , we are just a disease that the planet will shake off eventually ..

I think you are spot on, its not the earth we need worry about, its us!

Humans are the only truly altruistic species on earth. We may show concern for other life and the environment it lives in, but on the other hand only humans have been directly responsible for the extinction of other species.

Put bluntly, if I live in relative comfort in a developed country then I'm possibly a member of Greenpeace or RSPB and I believe the environment has rights. If I live in a shack in a third world country I'll happily catch the last tuna on the planet if it feeds my family for a day.

Compassion starts when you're no longer hungry.

I heard a good view put forward on NatGeo last night, humans are part of the environment so whatever we do is part of nature. Its actually quite a thought provoking statement.

Whilst that is true, as an intelligent species, it's up to us to minimise our impact on the planet, not only for our own sake, but the sake of all life.

Whilst that is true, as an intelligent species, it's up to us to minimise our impact on the planet, not only for our own sake, but the sake of all life.

Humans r the worst species to ever walk r crawl.. R swim But yes the environment will kill us off.. R a asteroid will and in a few billion years the life cycle will continue 

To answer the question yes the environment has rights.. I like r countryside 

Without a doubt unless we look after the environment our goose will be well and truly cooked and it could mean the end of mankind - there is little doubt however that over time the earth will recover without our meddling.

Can't really understand the idiots who pay so little heed to the environment - they would usually ensure that their car is roadworthy and safe but just as a car is transport on terra firma our planet is a vehicle travelling through space and it is the only one we have so it makes sense to look after that as well.

Without a doubt unless we look after the environment our goose will be well and truly cooked and it could mean the end of mankind - there is little doubt however that over time the earth will recover without our meddling.

Can't really understand the idiots who pay so little heed to the environment - they would usually ensure that their car is roadworthy and safe but just as a car is transport on terra firma our planet is a vehicle travelling through space and it is the only one we have so it makes sense to look after that as well.

Collective disassociation - If it's my car I'll happily tax and insure it. If it's our car I'm not going to bother if nobody else can be arsed either.

as an intelligent species

I think you may be overrating us somewhat.

Even if we could claim that, we're also selfish, destructive and short-sighted.

Humans are the only truly altruistic species on earth. We may show concern for other life and the environment it lives in, but on the other hand only humans have been directly responsible for the extinction of other species.

Put bluntly, if I live in relative comfort in a developed country then I'm possibly a member of Greenpeace or RSPB and I believe the environment has rights. If I live in a shack in a third world country I'll happily catch the last tuna on the planet if it feeds my family for a day.

Compassion starts when you're no longer hungry.

Are we? What about ants?

Are we? What about ants?

That's a can of worms opened then!

I think there is a difference between 'human altruism' and the 'apparent altruism' we see in many colonial insects.

Giving thought to the welfare of a different species and selflessly putting energy into helping it is a human construct.

I think with ants who appear to sacrifice themselves for the good of the colony it's based on a strange form of shared genetics so they are actually contributing to the welfare of their own genes.

Are we? What about ants?

We're the only species to partake in moral deliberation, I think he means. Certainly many hive minded species perform very social actions, but they do this purely through natural drive as opposed to considered thought.

In short, ants are not sentient.

That's a can of worms opened then!

I think there is a difference between 'human altruism' and the 'apparent altruism' we see in many colonial insects.

Giving thought to the welfare of a different species and selflessly putting energy into helping it is a human construct.

I think with ants who appear to sacrifice themselves for the good of the colony it's based on a strange form of shared genetics so they are actually contributing to the welfare of their own genes.

Oh indeed. Kin selection is a fascinating subject. Clever little buggers those ants and they don't enter into geopolitical liaisons. :shok:

I think this question is somewhat subject to a category error. The environment, being a synonym for the natural world, can't have rights in itself as such, but certainly humans and animals have a right to a clean environment.

No-one and no-thing has "rights".

However, humans, as the supposedly most advanced species on this backward planet, do have responsibilities. 

...which gives us an excuse.

Technically, no. But it is certainly in our interests to give it some. We only have one, we might as well look after it as best as possible.

It's one of the things I don't understand about the global warming thing. OK, so you don't believe in it, but surely we might as make sure we're doing all we can to look after it?

No-one and no-thing has "rights".

However, humans, as the supposedly most advanced species on this backward planet, do have responsibilities.

Pretty certain that humans have rights.

Trees have rights as do all living animals and the weather has rights. :D