Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikecollie

Sepp Blatter on the coals again...

A question: why do we obsess about the purity of sport, but make excuses for impropriety in all other respects? :cc_confused:

It's only professional sport that never has been and never will be clean.amateur sport always will be because people play for the love of the sport not the MONEY

Quite...commercial sport. But a grim future.

So is Platini involved in all of this or not? Why on Earth would FIFA be paying him anyway?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34363289

Sport is never going to be clean again!

Its simple where there is money corruption will not be far behind, sport is no exception to the rule.

We have seeen the VW story, the World Cup, and the reality is that you have to give a bung in this life if you want to achieve anything. The main reason apart from the human nature aspect is that corruption is lead from the very top of governance in almost every sector, be it sport, arms, planning, sex, drugs, and power.

The mass popularity of sport (particularly team sports) started after WW2 when people finally realised it was a better alternative to slaughtering each other over daft ideological differences. Its only in the last 30 years that sport has been progressively hijacked by corporate interests.

I still watch sport occasionally but its always in the knowledge that I am purchasing one unit of a product.

The mass popularity of sport (particularly team sports) started after WW2 when people finally realised it was a better alternative to slaughtering each other over daft ideological differences. Its only in the last 30 years that sport has been progressively hijacked by corporate interests.

I still watch sport occasionally but its always in the knowledge that I am purchasing one unit of a product.

Rubbish. Team sports, especially football & cricket in this country, due huge crowds before WW2. White Horse final?

The 1950s were the heydey of league football when provincial sides enjoyed huge travelling support courtesy of the 'away day special'. Previously, football matches were largely home supported affairs, Teams were not 'followed'.

Whatever, it's all a far cry from today's game. Some diehards still delude themselves that its a football club they are supporting but you'd might as well turn up to watch the fluctuating share price of two fast food outlets.

Coca-Cola has called for #FIFA president Sepp Blatter to step down immediately

BREAKING: McDonald's calls for #FIFA President Sepp Blatter to step down immediately.

http://news.sky.com/story/1563067/fifa-sponsors-call-on-blatter-to-step-down

Blatter has to go now surely

Coca-Cola has called for #FIFA president Sepp Blatter to step down immediately

BREAKING: McDonald's calls for #FIFA President Sepp Blatter to step down immediately.

http://news.sky.com/story/1563067/fifa-sponsors-call-on-blatter-to-step-down

Blatter has to go now surely

Eh? I'm not suggesting that Mr Blatter is a 'straight arrow'. But why quit at the behest of a burger-joint?

Eh? I'm not suggesting that Mr Blatter is a 'straight arrow'. But why quit at the behest of a burger-joint?

Money talks Sponsors that bankroll FIFA have tonight turnt on blatter 

Update - FIFA sponsor Visa has joined Coca-Cola and McDonald's in calling on Sepp Blatter to immediately step down as #FIFA president

I'm glad Platini is in the frame too. Something very slimy about that guy IMO. I hope it scuppers his bid for the FIFA presidency.

The fact that so many football associations (including the FA and SFA) are so happily supporting Platini for the presidency sure raises a few eyebrows too.

I'm glad Platini is in the frame too. Something very slimy about that guy IMO. I hope it scuppers his bid for the FIFA presidency.

he is French so it goes with the territory...very good player ..disappointing what he's turned into.

It's been known for years that Platini is dodgy; his vote for Qatar in the WC bidding, his son's role at PSG, etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-colluded-to-get-qatar-2022-world-cup-8471758.html

It's utterly bizarre that the FA decided to back him (and indeed continue to do so) while castigating Blatter for more or less the same behaviour.

Still though, this is one of THE moments in international football history (the best bit is from 8:00 onwards):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7429335.stm

"Tigana, Tigana, Tigana, Platini, GOOOOAAAALLLLL" (John Motson's finest moment too).

ANYONE involved in the upper echelons of FIFA for the last 15 years needs to be purged from the organisation. We need a completely clean start.

• Weather forecasting concerns as number of aircraft observations plummet

Changes in the weather world as observations reduce from aircraft and on land in the time of global pandemic. Less initial data to input into the computer models. AMDAR AIREP Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

Michael Fish: 21c this weekend? But windy with it

Michael Fish brings us his latest weekly forecast, looking ahead to a warm weekend with highs up to 21c possible. Next week sees one or two swings in temperature and some rain at times, but there'll be plenty of mild, often sunny weather on offer. Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather