Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowyowl9

Nearly half of children 'addicted to smartphones and tablets'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11878990/Nearly-half-of-children-addicted-to-smartphones-and-tablets.html

This % is only going to get much higher as technology takes over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11784092/Smartphones-are-hurting-our-children-but-the-real-culprit-is-bad-parenting.html

"Smartphones are psychologically addictive, encourage narcissistic tendencies and should come with a health warning." That was the conclusion of a recent University of Derby study which highlighted the disturbing downside to our digital obsession.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11878990/Nearly-half-of-children-addicted-to-smartphones-and-tablets.html

This % is only going to get much higher as technology takes over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11784092/Smartphones-are-hurting-our-children-but-the-real-culprit-is-bad-parenting.html

"Smartphones are psychologically addictive, encourage narcissistic tendencies and should come with a health warning." That was the conclusion of a recent University of Derby study which highlighted the disturbing downside to our digital obsession.

Yes Snowy, It's obvious now to me when im out and about. I was driving through Sheffield yesterday in rush hour and nearly everyone walking down the pavement were just glued to there phones with absolutely no idea of what is going on around them. Its as if they get taken into a different world.   

Not surprising and I find it disturbing. The number of times I have to move around someone messing with their phone at an entrance of a supermarket. For gawd sake, stand still to one side while using it or put it to away for 5 minutes. Not walking around getting in the way. It's almost as if when the phone is switched on, common sense switches off!

And these Google glasses are a horrific idea.

It's not just children.  A short time ago I went into the gents in a motorway services and a guy was thumb-swiping with his left hand while holding himself with the right while peeing - you couldn't make it up.  Another menace is those chavettes shoving their 4x4 bully-buggies through busy malls etc with their attention focussed on their silly little glowing screen and with no regard for others.

I understand this obsession with mobile devices is a recognised mental disease.

Exactly. An addiction is anything that makes the right brain connections to our pleasure centre.

Love your signature - a phrase my late father incorrectly spelled, but always propounded!

Oh, the irony of it all as well....

....because no one on here has any kind of addiction on smartphones, tablets and computers when keeping abreast of their hobby, lol.

Yep! We're all addicted to the weather and catching up on it and other discussion via NW. Detox...now! No way!

It will only get worse.

Luckily I am addicted to many other things that keep me away from smart phones. :good:

Luckily I am addicted to many other things that keep me away from smart phones. :good:

Being outside in the weather depends what you like,getting the best of both worlds with healthy air. :cold:

It's got to the point where people just cannot put phones down, even when driving.

I think im a weekend addict to my tablet...its the first thing I pick up when I wake up at weekends and the last thing I put down before going to sleep. During the week im pretty normal get up have a shower go to work come home get changed make something to eat watch some tv..before I go near my tablet...I have a smart phone but just use that for calls text and email..rarely use it to access the web.

I think im a weekend addict to my tablet...its the first thing I pick up when I wake up at weekends and the last thing I put down before going to sleep. During the week im pretty normal get up have a shower go to work come home get changed make something to eat watch some tv..before I go near my tablet...I have a smart phone but just use that for calls text and email..rarely use it to access the web.

Going to sleep after using a mobile device compromises the quality of your sleep. Most animals have  a lovely little brain part called the pineal gland, which secretes melatonin and that is our wake up hormone. It's also what is responsible for "jet lag" or circadian rhythm disturbance, when we cross time zones - we don't get light when we expect it or dark when we expect it. It is very sensitive to blue light wavelengths. LCD screens emit lots of blue wavelengths, so they stimulate your PG and make you feel like waking up. The melatonin takes a long time to dissipate and makes your sleep more "shallow" brain-wise. Research recommends at least two hours of abstinence from devices before you go to sleep. You may think you have slept well i.e. not remember going to sleep, but your depth of sleep to "recharge" is not enough. Tired and irritable in the morning and beyond - stop using devices before you go to sleep. I do not always practice what I preach though!!!