Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why couldn't this happen during Summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Any answers as to actually why high pressure like this seems to struggle so much to form in summer?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Any answers as to actually why high pressure like this seems to struggle so much to form in summer?

The decreasing solar activity? Yes - I'll say it: Grand Minimum? :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'll go with the cold SSTs in the Atlantic...

Posted

I'll go with the cold SSTs in the Atlantic...

Well, regarding the SST gradient in the Atlantic (discussed here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83902-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-201516/page-7#entry3262698) Summer 1969 wasn't very good, but not as bad as this past "summer".  If I remember correctly the sun was behaving itself back then.

Posted

Well, regarding the SST gradient in the Atlantic (discussed here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83902-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-201516/page-7#entry3262698) Summer 1969 wasn't very good, but not as bad as this past "summer".  If I remember correctly the sun was behaving itself back then.

Indeed. But the following winter was quite similar to Dr whathisname suggested might happen this time: a jet-stream that often ran along the English Channel??

Posted

Indeed. But the following winter was quite similar to Dr whathisname suggested might happen this time: a jet-stream that often ran along the English Channel??

There wasn't anything particularly unusual about winter 69/70 but we did have a snowy Christmas period but nothing severe.  Early March saw a late cold snap with some snow.  Otherwise pretty wet and windy. Bear in mind I'm quoting from 45-year old memory. :wink:

Posted

There wasn't anything particularly unusual about winter 69/70 but we did have a snowy Christmas period but nothing severe.  Early March saw a late cold snap with some snow.  Otherwise pretty wet and windy. Bear in mind I'm quoting from 45-year old memory. :wink:

So am I!

I was in Tunbridge Wells for that winter and had a least two monster blizzards, but the cold spells were interspersed with some decidedly mild periods too; so, overall, it was not all that cold...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

If I say it's because of Global Warming I'll end up having the post deleted. So with much consideration I think I'll concede it is a result of Global Staying-pretty-much-the-same

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Why couldn't this happen during Summer?.......Also it wouldn't go amiss in Winter  :cold::)

post-11006-0-94730500-1443116890_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Is there a link between prevalence of high pressure cells and strength of the jet stream? The jet stream kicks up a notch in September which sometimes brings about high pressure over the UK in the first half of the month. Is the lack of high pressure over the UK during the summer months a symptom of a generally week jet stream at that time of year? Genuine question.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Is there a link between prevalence of high pressure cells and strength of the jet stream? The jet stream kicks up a notch in September which sometimes brings about high pressure over the UK in the first half of the month. Is the lack of high pressure over the UK during the summer months a symptom of a generally week jet stream at that time of year? Genuine question.

My observations seem to be that it often takes low pressure to be forced down towards the Azores to seemingly push a proper HP cell over us otherwise it can never seem to fully make it across. But also stronger jet streams do tend to create larger/stronger lows which do seem to help push HP cells up ahead of them also imo so you may be right somewhat although I am sure there are other complexities attached.