Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where are all the wasps?

Posted

I don't know how a dead wasp can sting you four times.

I think you're thinking bees, that leave their stinger behind - in contrast to the honey bee, the common wasp and hornet can both insert and withdraw their sting with comparative ease. The single wasp is therefore able to deliver multiple stings with ease. This multi-sting capacity suits its generally more aggressive nature and you will often find that wasp and hornets will try and sting their victim more than once. (I obviously waited until the 5th sting before killing it - maybe I was feeling generous in my sleep lol)

Edited by Nemesis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

There was quite a few around here during the summer but they've all gone now. I don't like wasps because I got attacked by a whole nest when I was a young kid, plus.. what are they good for? Bees I don't mind..I actually rescued one from a spiders web last year, they don't bother you like wasps and they're useful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Perhaps if you stopped killing them there might be more about!  :nonono:  :fool:

I have no idea why you (or others) feel the need to do this to both wasps and bees. I just pick them up and pop them outside, simples. They have no interest in stinging you unless they feel threatened. I have been stung myself on a few occasions, the worst being inside my mouth when I nearly swallowed a wasp (it had sneaked into a can of larger whilst out fishing one day), but that still doesn't put me off them, in fact the very opposite, I find them to be wonderful creatures.

Hello WMD,

I did not know that wasps went fishing.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Hello WMD,

I did not know that wasps went fishing.

Kind Regards

Dave

You'll be amazed what they get up too!  :D

Posted

I was camping once and the wasp flew in to my sleeping bag and stung me 5 times. I felt the need to kill it. I don't know why you (or others) feel the need to not after being stung. That's just weird. ;-) (wasp tongue in cheek of course :-)

Just my nature (pardon the pun!) I don't believe in killing anything. I am forever having to rescue insects out of our conservatory and remove house spiders (the missus don't like spiders). The other week a dragon fly got into our conservatory and once I managed to get it, it just clung to my finger like it was a branch or a leaf. It was amazing seeing one up so close, truly an odd and yet beautiful looking creature 

• Like 2

Posted

Had a barbecue and not  a single wasp in sight. :D Flies on the the other hand were trying to fly off with my chicken. :angry:

Wasps sting for no reason, you could be minding your own business and then BAM! Bees on the other hand are gentle creatures, unless they are being threatened. I stroke bees on the head. :D

Aha, made me laugh that, nice to see plenty of bee love about :friends:  Bees are truly remarkable and the fact they can fly at all is somewhat of a miracle 

• Like 1

Posted

The idea thay wasps only sting when they feel threatened is a complete myth.

They are aggressive, nasty little bastards with wings.

I hate killing anything, If i kill something by accident or step on a snail or something, I feel genuine remorse. I will even try to free giant house spiders, even though I am absolutely terrified of them to the point of physically shaking with fear.

Wasps though? nope. The amount of times i've been dive-bombed and attacked by them just minding my own business is ridiculous. You can see when they land on a surface, just incessantly thrusting their thorax trying to sting it.

I actually made the stupid mistake of "stay still and it will leave you alone" recently. It stung me on the neck for absolutely no reason.

I swatted it to the ground and stamped on it thirty times and felt great about it to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The idea thay wasps only sting when they feel threatened is a complete myth.

They are aggressive, nasty little laminate floors with wings.

I hate killing anything, If i kill something by accident or step on a snail or something, I feel genuine remorse. I will even try to free giant house spiders, even though I am absolutely terrified of them to the point of physically shaking with fear.

Wasps though? nope. The amount of times i've been dive-bombed and attacked by them just minding my own business is ridiculous. You can see when they land on a surface, just incessantly thrusting their thorax trying to sting it.

I actually made the stupid mistake of "stay still and it will leave you alone" recently. It stung me on the neck for absolutely no reason.

I swatted it to the ground and stamped on it thirty times and felt great about it to be honest.

Completely agree, they sting for the fun of it and it's nothing to do with them 'feeling threatened', they're just plain nasty. Like you I've seen plenty of times they've landed on an inanimate object and just started trying to sting it for no reason. Bees on the other hand are really placid creatures that I have a lot of respect for.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Aha, made me laugh that, nice to see plenty of bee love about :friends:  Bees are truly remarkable and the fact they can fly at all is somewhat of a miracle 

Yes I do love bees, they are cute. I was cutting the grass and a wasp would not leave me alone, it tried to land on my face a couple of times, so I whacked it and it ended up on the grass and the lawn mower did the rest. :oops::sorry::diablo: