Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tabloids already going wild!

throwoff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

It seems to be earlier every year! Snowmageddon is already being forecast, thought I notice a lack of exactaweather quotes this year!

I have had several people in the office mention that 'this year will be snowy' 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It seems to be earlier every year! Snowmageddon is already being forecast, thought I notice a lack of exactaweather quotes this year!

I have had several people in the office mention that 'this year will be snowy' 

Well that's it then, the mildest Winter on record has been confirmed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I asked my dog about this winter ,he says it's going to be woof :0.....

And, my chicken entrails said - I'll let you know in March! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just asked my dog, And she looked at me gone out!

post-12319-0-63007000-1442346022_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

likely as good an answer as some of the more outlandish claims we will see in the coming weeks. So another 62-63 winter on the cards from those prone to predict these things.

Funny really when one looks at the Met Office Model output, link below for Europe, not a lot of dark blue for either surface or 850 temperatures in the UK area. perhaps its wrong!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

West coast of Ireland or out in the Atlantic look the best bet!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

likely as good an answer as some of the more outlandish claims we will see in the coming weeks. So another 62-63 winter on the cards from those prone to predict these things.

Funny really when one looks at the Met of Model output, link below for Europe, not a lot of dark blue for either surface or 850 temperatures in the UK area. perhaps its wrong!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

West coast of Ireland or out in the Atlantic look the best bet!

Very strong prediction regarding the persistence of the Atlantic cold pool there.

Also for high arctic 850s (although it appears to show that every year).

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I predict some mild and cold periods, with episodes of wet and dry conditions, there may be spells where it is windy.

cats and dogs may be encountered from time to time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Strictly seasonal

The Daily Express predicts an exceptionally cold winter ahead.. In view of that. I am looking forward to a winter even colder than 1684 with great confidence and trepidation as to my heating costs! I trust that the authorities are preparing for something cataclysmic then.

LOL

(PS: I bet I' m wrong!)

Posted

Met Office meteorologists said conditions could mirror those of the 2009/2010 winter which was so long and chilly it was dubbed ‘The Big Freeze.’

Have they actually said this anyone?

think I will drop this in an e mail and see what response I get!

• Like 5

Posted

Found this comment from Thomas Shafernaker - http://www.techtimes.com/articles/84723/20150915/strong-el-ni%C3%B1o-could-bring-another-big-freeze-winter-to-the-u-k.htm  - which no doubt some of the press have subsequently put 2+2=5 - deciding that just because el nino might have helped intensify the winter of 2009/10 (i.e. by increasing moisture levels in the atmosphere & the southern branch of the jet) - then every el nino must obviously mean a repeat of 1962 etc - despite the fact that atlantic sea temps and other factors have a greater bearing on what matters here - i.e. northern blocking. Poor journalism - but that's symptomatic of almost everything output by the MSM these days - IMHO anyway.

"This time round El Niño could be the strongest in decades," says Met Office meteorologist Thomas Shafernaker.

"In Europe sometimes winters end up much colder and drier and last much into spring" with a strong El Niño, he explains. "In 2010, the El Niño played a part in bringing huge amounts of snow to the U.K."

Edited by beng
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Found this comment from Thomas Shafernaker - http://www.techtimes.com/articles/84723/20150915/strong-el-ni%C3%B1o-could-bring-another-big-freeze-winter-to-the-u-k.htm  - which no doubt some of the press have subsequently put 2+2=5 - deciding that just because el nino might have helped intensity the winter of 2009/10 (i.e. by increasing moisture levels in the atmosphere) - then every el nino must obviously mean a repeat of 1962 etc - despite the fact that atlantic sea temps and other factors have a greater bearing on what matters here - i.e. northern blocking. Poor journalism - but that's symptomatic of almost everything output by the MSM these days - IMHO anyway.

"This time round El Niño could be the strongest in decades," says Met Office meteorologist Thomas Shafernaker.

"In Europe sometimes winters end up much colder and drier and last much into spring" with a strong El Niño, he explains. "In 2010, the El Niño played a part in bringing huge amounts of snow to the U.K."

That's what annoys me about damn tabloids. They always take stuff out of context. Just because something is 'possibly associated' with contributing to condition x, doesn't mean it will automatically happen. That said, would love another smowmageddon!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

That's what annoys me about damn tabloids. They always take stuff out of context. Just because something is 'possibly associated' with contributing to condition x, doesn't mean it will automatically happen. That said, would love another smowmageddon!

Me too, but that puts us in the awkward and embarrassing situation of actually wanting the tabloids to be right.

Posted

And not just the tabloids......

Just received this email from the energyhelpline.com!!

Meteorologists are warning that the El Nino phenomenon could see a dramatic change of fortunes for the UK this winter, with mild weather replaced by freezing temperatures. With this year’s El Nino the strongest since 1950..............etc, etc (see below)

Will El Nino bring a cold winter to the UK this year.pdf

Edited by Kiwi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

And not just the tabloids......

Just received this email from the energyhelpline.com!!

Meteorologists are warning that the El Nino phenomenon could see a dramatic change of fortunes for the UK this winter, with mild weather replaced by freezing temperatures. With this year’s El Nino the strongest since 1950..............etc, etc (see below)

attachicon.gifWill El Nino bring a cold winter to the UK this year.pdf

I, for one, can't imagine why a company that makes its money from encouraging people to switch energy suppliers is hyping the idea of a cold winter.  :D

• Like 2

Posted

Oh dear its the same story every year, and unfortunately likely to be repeated over the coming weeks. The Express is usually the worse culprit, with overuse of the word freezing/arctic  conditions, to describe what on average is often quite normal conditions for the time of year. When I was younger and the internet wasn't around etc, I would hang on every word the tabloids and largeprints used to say, I've become more and more cynical with age and now pay very little or no attention to any weather forecast headlines they produce.. because of the internet and the availability of more accurate sources of information, I think they have been allowed to become far more sensationalist as there accountability continues to go down the pan. Its a shame because for some people the tabloids can be the only bit of news they access each day..

Apparently sales go up an extra 10% when there is a weather headline on the front page.. and Monday is the best day to put such headlines on the front cover.. Its all about the sell..

Should I say broadsheets?

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Its been said many times before, weather sells newspapers. One year they may get it right but if they do it will be pure dumb luck!

Edited by snowhope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Even made one of the sports column today..words to the effect you can tell Autumn is here as the nights are drawing in champions league is back and the Express is warning of the coldest winter ever!

• Like 1