Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

Aviation Thread

Another case of having to think about banning something that is just abused by a mindless minority.

Why would people want to do this? Why? It's not a bloody computer game, we are real people up there when we fly and you are showing a similar level of respect for our lives as Daesh.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35580261

Hi all, 

My first time posting on Netweather despite lurking for  some 6 years. I fly the 747 for BA and thought I would  engage in some chat on here. I love my job, see some very varying weather on my travels , but can't say I have an indepth knowledge!

I have just finished my 6 month sim check and was chatting to a couple of colleagues who told me about an incident last Sunday ( I think) on one of our jumbo's bound for Cape town. They were routing over Lisbon and the jet stream apparently was kinked... As they passed through the area they encountered severe turbulence, had an over speed and then went into a low speed stall. They lost over 5000 feet recovering the Aircraft.... Needless to say this was a very very dangerous encounter.. I  am trying and get hold of the charts of the jet that day ( known to me as sig wx charts).  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

All files I try to upload for a profile picture seem too large... So just so you all know I am being genuine and not some troll!

image.jpg

The EgyptAir crash of Wednesday is another horrible mystery at the moment. I flew out of Paris on Wednesday evening and it's awful to think that I could have shared some of the same space as those folks who never made it to Cairo...

All 4 members of crew on board are safe after the helicopter landed safety because of a technical issue it then caught fire

Edited by Summer Sun

Went down memory lane yesterday - a flight in a T21 Glider, which when in the ATC in 1959 we knew as a Sedburgh (see picture) - had an aero tow to 1900 feet and thermalled to 2,500 feet despite a 6/8 layer of strata-cu for a flight of 34 minutes.

Surface temperature was 19C, so by the time we got to that height it was bloody cold in an open cockpit, I expect to be about 12C with an adiabatic dry lapse rate, then take in the wind effect of speeds varying between 35 and 50 knots - I don't have a clue as to how to work that out.

Good job I thought to don my body warmer!

T21.jpg

Edited by mike Meehan

The very iconic 747 landing at Maho beach is no ore. KLM's 747 has just done her last flight there. The route will now be operated by am A330. Such a shame.

17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The very iconic 747 landing at Maho beach is no ore. KLM's 747 has just done her last flight there. The route will now be operated by am A330. Such a shame.

I have always liked flying on 747s. Indeed, they are an "iconic" aircraft - my last flight on one was to Hong Kong from AMS. The last time our University ever allowed anyone to travel business class. Sitting "upstairs" and being served at your whim was rather nice!

Brexit and fuel costs force airline Flybe to put itself up for sale

Flybe, the UK-based airline, is putting itself up for sale weeks after a savage profit warning triggered by currency volatility and higher fuel costs sent its shares plunging.

Sky News has learnt that the Exeter-based carrier, which said last month that it expected to lose £12m this year, will announce to the London Stock Exchange on Wednesday that its board has begun exploring a sale to or merger with a rival.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-and-fuel-costs-force-airline-flybe-to-put-itself-up-for-sale-11553619 

This week sees the final revenue flights for the last remaining BA 767 fleet after 20 years service G-BZHA and G-BZHB are the last 2

Proper workhorses those 767s. It such a shame to see variety disappearing from the skies. I think very soon we'll be at a stage where airlines fly one short haul model and one ling haul and that's it.